· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Water change questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all,

More noobish questions-
    So, when doing a water change, do you have to treat the water with water conditioner before adding it to the tank (which is what I've been doing to stay on the safe side)

The reason I ask is because it is such a pain to get the water from the bucket on the ground into the tank after treating it. I have a short length of hose rigged to attach to my sink faucet & it would be so much easier to just use that to fill the tank with. I've read that water conditioner reacts almost instantly neutralizing the chlorine, so maybe if I put the water conditioner in the tank & then filled it up using the hose?
    If not, I'm toying with the idea of drilling a bucket & installing a on/off valve with a short length of hose. I then would have to build some king of stand to set the bucket on so it would be higher than my tank.
    Any input would be appreciated. How do you guys do it?

0 Not allowed!
    A large number of us will use a python water changer to add water stright from the tap to our tanks when doing a water change. I will add the dechlorinator first followed by adding the water right after

Just make sure the replacement water you add to the tank is the same temp as the tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Exactly what Cliff said - add conditioner 1st to treat your whole tank and then add new water, matching the temp as closely as possible. Because I do the bucket method (my tank isn't that big), I feel the temp in the tank with my hand and then make sure the tap water feels similar before filling my bucket.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm unfortunate to have my tank too far from a water source to use the python....may fix that actually.lol

but what I do-is the 5gallon bucket haul
    i dose enough prime in the first bucket for the entire tank-then do the race between the tub and tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK,
    Well my tank actually sits on the counter virtually next to my sink. So I'd be fine if I just dosed the tank with water conditioner & then used my faucet-hose attachment to fill the tank? So I don't have any need for a bucket?

0 Not allowed!
    Sure - that would work - again, just be careful about matching the temp of the new water. Lucky you LOL
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanx experienced aquarium keepers! That makes it so much easier & hence, makes me more likely to perform regular water changes-

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Similar situation here too, just to be clear.... If I want to do a 50% water change on a 29 gallon tank, I should dose Prime for 29 gallons directly into the tank first (before or after removing old water?) then add water straight from the tap (match temp first of course) Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    On smaller changes, say upto 25% or so temp matching isn't that important. Especially if you add some snacks to the new water (I use frozen cyclops) your fish will think it has rained and washed some goodies into the water.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinfool2 View Post
    Similar situation here too, just to be clear.... If I want to do a 50% water change on a 29 gallon tank, I should dose Prime for 29 gallons directly into the tank first (before or after removing old water?) then add water straight from the tap (match temp first of course) Thanks
    To me, this makes the most sense.

1. Remove 50% old water.
    2. Add enough Prime for 29 Gallons directly into the tank.
    3. Temp match.
    4. Add new water to tank.