· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Landlord issues...

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys!
    My boyfriend and I are renting a new house next year, and we each have a 20 gallon tank. Our landlord does not have a problem with that, however he is worried about the tanks breaking and the water spilling. I have assured him that it will not be an issue as my bf and I take great care with our tanks. He is insistent that we put something under the tanks to "catch" the water so it does not spill on the carpeting. His suggestion was a plastic kiddie pool. We don't want to use anything that will look that ridiculous, however we need something big to catch 20 gallons of water.
    Any suggestions?

0 Not allowed!
    How ridiculous. I live in Canterbury, New Zealand where we get frequent and sometimes very violent earthquakes and we don't have to put anything under our tanks, even though they have a considerably high risk of falling over if we get a big quake.

You could always just put the kiddie pools up when you have a house inspection. Idk if the rules are the same where you live but here landlords have to give 48 hours before entering the property so that's plenty of time to prepare.

0 Not allowed!
    Wow - the only time I can think of when water could possibly spill is when you change your water. I have a 46gal tank which I fill with a bucket and sometimes I "misfire" when adding water back in - it will spill onto the floor, but if I put a plastic sheet down or lots of towels the floor wouldn't get wet. Does he think they will leak at some point while you're not home and get the carpet all wet?

What are the tanks going to be sitting on? Will they be above carpeting? Perhaps just put towels on the carpet to absorb any spills.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Does he think they will leak at some point while you're not home and get the carpet all wet?
    That would be my first guess. It's not impossible for a tank to leak or crack and spill water everywhere (happened to me with a 10g tank). Luckily I live in an apartment that's very accommodating and they just called in some people with a heavy duty wet-vac to suck up the water and they left a special fan to dry the carpet overnight, all at no charge to me.

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of stands do you have?
    Your landlord doesn't sound like the brightest crayon in the box. If your tank had a slow leak, it would probably pool on the stand and drip down the sides, very little of it hitting the carpet before you would notice. Whatever hit the carpet would be easily dabbed up with a towel.
    If the glass actually broke or busted and the water went cascading towards the floor, the trajectory would likely overshoot the kiddie pool too or the velocity of it hitting the plastic bottom of the pool would send it tidal waving right over the edge and onto the carpet.

That being said, best to appease him since he is letting you have them against his instincts.

I ask what kind of stands you have because what comes to mind for me are those square or rectangular plastic storage tubs from walmart or home depot. I can't envision full enclosed wooden stands with cupboards sitting in those, but metal stands could sit in them and look pretty natural if you lined some potted plants or other decor up on the floor in front of the tubs. Then you wouldn't see the tubs as well and the stands wouldn't look odd.
    Last edited by CrunchyLeaf; 04-07-2013 at 04:42 AM.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    People who don't have aquariums don't realize that tanks don't blow out like that very often, but broken tanks do happen and it is a valid concern. Can't fault the guy for trying to protect his investment even if his remedy is ridiculous. Ask him if he would be satisfied if you bought renters insurance instead of putting the pool under the tanks. Renters insurance isn't that expensive and when I bought it my insurance premiums actually went down because of multi-policy discounts. If he agrees, make sure the policy you purchase has water damage included in the policy.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Ask him if he would be satisfied if you bought renters insurance instead of putting the pool under the tanks. Renters insurance isn't that expensive and when I bought it my insurance premiums actually went down because of multi-policy discounts. If he agrees, make sure the policy you purchase has water damage included in the policy.
    Oh forget mine....that's way better. Mommy you smart one you.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you guys for reassuring me that I'm not crazy in thinking it won't be a problem... Currently, I have my tank sitting on a wooden microwave stand (like a cabinet on wheels), and my bf's is on a dresser. Honey Badger 1- I do already have renters insurance, but I am going to mention that to him the next time we talk. Our tanks are both 20 gallon "long"'s, so I don't think the tank and the stand would even fit in a kiddie pool to begin with. This whole thing is just a nightmare.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the trajectory of water. If a tank suddenly cracks or bursts (which is highly unlikely unless it was badly built or was subject to brute force) the water wont just run down. It will hurl outwards and forwards at elast a few feet from the tank itself. Trust me, it's happened to me before. Luckily i live in a flat with just tiles on the floor.

What is under the carpet? Maybe suggest taking the carpet up in that room, and putting it back once you do leave the place?

another option is to convince the landlord that he is just being paranoid!
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

0 Not allowed!
    Why not just negotiate with your landlord. Say that you will take out comprehensive house contents insurance which will cover any flood damage. Shouldn't cost you too much and will keep both parties happy and reassured.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~