· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default I thought i was cycled...PLEASE HELP

0 Not allowed!
    a few days ago i tested the aquarium water. I got ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates unreadable, over 160ppm. I added between 1 ppm and 2ppm ammonia. i checked the tank about 18 hours later Ammonia 0 nitrites 0. Then i did a 90% water change. The nitrites were still unreadable. I waited about an hour and i did another 50% water change. That got the nitrates down to about 20 ppm. i dosed very little ammonia about .50ppm. The next next day i tested the water again. And it reads 0 Ammonia 0 nitrates and still 20ppm nitrates. I did another water change about 30% that got the nitrate down between 5 and 10 but more on the 5ppm side. I dosed another small amount of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. The next day in the morning i tested the water and it was reading .25ppm ammonia 0 nitrites and almost the same in nitrates. Later that night i tested again for ammonia and it was still at .25ppm. This morning i tested ammonia again and i still have the same reading.25. I waited about about 10 hours and tested again and the reading is still .25ppm

Did i do something wrong. I really want to get fish already. I cant sleep at night haha

0 Not allowed!
    Are you sure your are getting a 0.25ppm reading ?

Maybe have your test results doubled checked
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i tested my tap and its reading 0 ppm. Could i of did something when i did the 170% water change?

0 Not allowed!
    Water changes don't cause your bacteria to die provided they have food (ammonia)
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you didn't forgot to condition the tap water maybe during the last water change then allowed it to go through your filter for hours ?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i added the water conditioner. I think im going to go the the pet store and see if they can test the water for me

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i just tested my ph with the high ph tester and its reading 7.8 i tested it 2 days ago and it was reading 6.8

0 Not allowed!
    If your tank is still cycling, your pH won't remain stable - I would be more concerned with seeing your ammonia go down to 0 - your nitrates sounded fine, however, there is no need to bring down that number until your ammonia is consistently reading 0 soon after adding it.

Dont' add anymore ammonia until it goes down to 0 - there is no need to test your nitrates again until ammonia is consistently going down to 0 after adding more (to a reading of 1.0ppm)
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies