· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default I need help with "my" 150 gallon! Please read and help!

0 Not allowed!
    Okay so Im new to this forum, hey all. My knowledge with FW fish is very little. I recently started having fish and have started with SW since I love the look of it. My friend got me started into the hobby but Ive done far more research than him so I know far more than him as far as SW goes. He moved in with me and he brought over his 55 gallon which had about 11 kois (7 of them about 2 inches at most, 1 about 5 inches, 1 about 4 inches and the other about 3 inches), a silver dollar about 4 inches long, a pleco about 5 inches long at most, 2 gold fish but one died before moving the tank in to my home (about 2 inches long), a shrimp that died on the trip to my house so he did not make it and 2 guppies which one was eaten a while back while in my home and the other was eaten yesterday :/. Before the new tank im about to talk about the 55 gallon we added 3 angels, 1 one goldfish, 2 cat fish and a shrimp added on top of the LS already in there. (sounds like extreme overstocking to me, at least if this was a SW set up) Turns out my friend decided to upgrade so I agreed, We went to go buy a 180 gallon that turned out to be a 150 gallon. We bought 100lbs more of gravel on top of the 50lbs we already had in the 55 gallon of the gravel which is meant to raise Ph levels to be adequate for kois (7.5). We then got home and cleaned the sand out of the tank the previous owner had. My friend is impatient so the cleaning was not done so well. We cleaned the gravel, also done poorly -_- and then dumped it in. scaped the tank and then added water from tap. Put in tap water conditioner enough for 180 gallons, stress coat enough for 180 gallons (im guessing thats double the dose of chemicals since they both do the same and it was for a 180 gallon tank which this tank isnt, we didn't know it was 150 till after), enough aquarium salt for 160 gallons and some liquid to clear the water up. Again i do not have much knowledge on FW so I didnt know what was right from wrong. We then proceeded the acclimate the fish and then add them about 1 to 2 hours after the water had been added in and the Fluval FX-5 along with the other blue clear canister filter whos name I forget was also running. Prevous owner had the blue one and the media was about 5 or 6 months old and so was the fluvals fx-5 medias (which was on the 55 gallon originally). Days later the water was turning green and cloudy. My fish (i consider them as my pets too, even though they have become more of my mothers and her bfs since they have both tried the most they can researching on how to best take care of them after all this and are the only ones taking care of the tank of course with my help when im not tinkering with my SW tanks, which have been succesfull till today) were all sideways especially the big koi. (The angels and guppy were taken out and put into the 55 gallon which has been successful so far. That now is a angel fish tank with 3 more angels added and a gf for the guppy but he was eaten yesterday by one of the kois I think). We went to the lfs did a few WC but nothing helped. 4 days ago we decided maybe the tank was not clean enough. So all the LS was moved into the 55 gallon provisionally where they were all straight. The 150 gallon tank was cleaned spotless from filter to glass to gravel. Then adding a brand new uv sterilizer as well. The fx-5 media was set up wrong so my mother set it up right. She cleaned it out spotless and cleaned the new media recently put in wrong. adding only tap water conditioner enough for 100 gallons. The tank was running for about 3 days. Yesterday we decided to add the ph stabilizer bringing the ph from 6.4 to 7.5 in the 150 gallon tank, we then acclimated the fish who were there before except for the silver dollar which we're leaving in the other tank along with a new pleco and some more angels and the guppy. All levels were normal and the Ph was at 7.5. This morning I look at the tank and the fish were once again sideways. Please someone tell me EVERYTHING that we're doing wrong and how to fix it. Any more info you need LMK. Sorry it sounds a bit confusing. I need all the help i can get. I imagine some of these mistakes are very dumb but im focused on my SW more and jamming more info into my brain will take up my entire days focused on this. My moms bf is trying his best along with my mother to look up info on whats wrong. Thank you

0 Not allowed!
    If you would use proper grammer and properly formated paragraphs, it would be easier to understand what you are posting.

I could have missed this part, but did you also transfer the old filter media from the old tank to the new tank when you up-graded tanks ?

Have you tested the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates lately ?

Has the pH been stable since setting up the tank ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2nd that. i couldn't read that. i'm sorry.

could you break it down?
    what is the issue here?

filtration?
    stock?
    water parameters?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    If you would use proper grammer and properly formated paragraphs, it would be easier to understand what you are posting.

I could have missed this part, but did you also transfer the old filter media from the old tank to the new tank when you up-graded tanks ?

Have you tested the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates lately ?

Has the pH been stable since setting up the tank ?
    My apologies on the structure and grammar. The blue canister filter had filter media that was about 4 months old and we hooked it on the way it was with the old media from the previous owner. The fx-5 was on the 55 gallon set up and the media was about 6 months old. We also hooked that one on to the 150 gallon upon setting it up the first time. We changed all the media in both canisters and they were set up wrong. The last cleaning we did we set up the filter media right in the fx-5 and cleaned it up. Currently it is the only filter hooked on to the tank. All my params are normal, checked them today. My ph is at 7.5.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    2nd that. i couldn't read that. i'm sorry.

could you break it down?
    what is the issue here?

filtration?
    stock?
    water parameters?
    Sorry as well for the grammar and structure. i wrote it quick and was a lot of info to write.
    The issue is my fishes in the 150 gallon are sideways. The filter media has ammonia remover, carbon and bio pellets. The LS is:
    12 kois (7 about 2 1/2", 1 about 3", 1 about 5", 1 about 4", 1 about 2 1/2" and 1 about 7")
    2 shark catfish (about 3")
    2 plecos (1 about 5 1/2", 1 about 2 1/2")
    2 fancy goldfish (about 3")
    1 shrimp (about 3")

0 Not allowed!
    Could you post the test results ? I'm referring to the exact readings from the test test kit
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Could you post the test results ? I'm referring to the exact readings from the test test kit
    Ph-7.5
    Ammonia-0
    Nitrate-0
    Nitrite-0

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    If you replace all the filter media, those water parameters will not last; ammonia will build up. Don't see the need for
    'stress coat' - a product that is useless. Green water is cased by over feeding and failure to replace enough new water. You need to vacuum the tank and remove any waste food and fish waste at least a few times a week (every day would be best.)

I assume you have a series of tanks since you are talking about saltwater and also fresh water fish in that very long paragraph.) The key to keeping any tank is replacing enough water to keep the tank water clean (low nitrates. Those will start to build up - try and keep them under 20 ppm.)

Once your filter re-cycles (five weeks or so), the water changes can be reduced - this depends on what the nitrate levels climb too in a week or two. Remember, if you replace the filter media, the filter looses all its bacteria and you need to recycle; don't remove the bio-media from a filter. Have at least one tray full of a bio-ceramic noodle or similar product. These are only rinised using old tank water (never use chlorinated water to clean the filter media!) Watch the tank for an ammonia spike - never let it go above 0.25 ppm; never let nitrites go above 0.1 ppm - they are more toxic than ammonia.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Cermet; 04-07-2013 at 12:37 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet View Post
    If you replace all the filter media, those water parameters will not last; ammonia will build up. Don't see the need for
    'stress coat' - a product that is useless. Green water is cased by over feeding and failure to replace enough new water. You need to vacuum the tank and remove any waste food and fish waste at least a few times a week (every day would be best.)

I assume you have a series of tanks since you are talking about saltwater and also fresh water fish in that very long paragraph.) The key to keeping any tank is replacing enough water to keep the tank water clean (low nitrates. Those will start to build up - try and keep them under 20 ppm.)

Once your filter re-cycles (five weeks or so), the water changes can be reduced - this depends on what the nitrate levels climb too in a week or two. Remember, if you replace the filter media, the filter looses all its bacteria and you need to recycle; don't remove the bio-media from a filter. Have at least one tray full of a bio-ceramic noodle or similar product. These are only rinised using old tank water (never use chlorinated water to clean the filter media!) Watch the tank for an ammonia spike - never let it go above 0.25 ppm; never let nitrites go above 0.1 ppm - they are more toxic than ammonia.

Best of luck!
    Thanks for the advice. Yes I have currently 4 tanks, 2 FW and 2 SW. So pretty much keep on top of my params and do WC as necessary according to them? Thats what I do with my SW so it shouldn't be a problem :). Should I do water weekly test or bi-weekly tests? Why are my fishes sideways? thats what has me puzzled :(

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    do you have lights on the tank?
    if so where?

any lights in the room-where are they located?