· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question What are these "bugs" in my aquarium?!

0 Not allowed!
    So I recently had an ich infestation in my betta tank and decided to copper which unfortunatly ended up being to harsh for my giant betta. To kill off the ich faster I raised the tank temp to 94 degrees and thats where it has been for a solid ten days. I removed all of the copper through water changes and chemical filter changes. I had hoped the high temp alone would be enough to kill the parasites. But now looking closely today I noticed there are these little "bugs" crawling all over a stick I have in there. They are too small to notice any little features but they sorta look like little aphids but they are whitish/grey in color. Does anybody know what these are? Are they harmful to fish? And i'm pretty sure I just noticed a little white worm about a centimeter in length sqiggle to the bottom. I have a new fish arriving in the mail from aquabid in about five days so i'm afraid these things whatever they are could harm him :( What can survive in 94 degree water?! Should I add the copper for these five days and remove out right before i get my fish just to be sure I killed everything? Please help! Thanks.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like scuds to me. A small aquarium bug that sometimes shows up. They are great fish foraging food and pose no threat to your fish.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah. Fish presence usually causes these to disappear quickly. Ich doesn't crawl over wood.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You guys think so? They are extremely tiny like probably 1/4 of a millimeter in length. And they are very round they don't look like what I googled for scuds but I have no idea i've never seen these before. What could that small white worm that I saw be? And do you guys think 94 degree water for 14 days will be enough to kill the ich? I still see the white tomonts in a few places but have not noticed any new one and all the ones I can see have not seemed to hatch.

0 Not allowed!
    If I remember correctly 84 degrees fahrenheit kills it after 36 hours.

Common critters in empty tanks are cyclops, copepods and planaria.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    If I remember correctly 84 degrees fahrenheit kills it after 36 hours.

Common critters in empty tanks are cyclops, copepods and planaria.

Can any of these be harmful to a new fish?

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    No they are actually food for the fish... completely safe.

On Ich... heat does not kill it, heat speeds up its life cycle. Salt or medication or fishes immune system kills ich. The easiest way to rid yourself of this disease is to raise temp to 84-86 to speed its life cycle, dose with salt 2 tbsp/5gallons is what I use.

Sounds like you are through with that though so you should be ok. Its usually caused by stress so I would slowly get back to a stable 80 degree tank temp over the next week.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    No they are actually food for the fish... completely safe.

On Ich... heat does not kill it, heat speeds up its life cycle. Salt or medication or fishes immune system kills ich. The easiest way to rid yourself of this disease is to raise temp to 84-86 to speed its life cycle, dose with salt 2 tbsp/5gallons is what I use.

Sounds like you are through with that though so you should be ok. Its usually caused by stress so I would slowly get back to a stable 80 degree tank temp over the next week.
    Thats a relief to here! And I hope all the ich is dead! I just used the heat method because I have live plants and didnt want to kill them with salt or medication. Everywhere I've read says temps over 86 kills it. But if it doesnt would 94 degree tems for fourteen days speed its lifecycle up enough to kill it with out haveing a fish host? Is there anything I can do to prevent getting another outbreak with my new fish? And btw I really appreciate the help guys!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yes without a fish host, ich will no survive. HTH!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Yes without a fish host, ich will no survive. HTH!
    Cool thanks! But I do have another tank that had fish and ich in it about 20 days ago. The fish died and now it just has shrimp and snails. I know ich can't live without a host but I still see new tomonts popping up everywhere! How can that be?! The tank temp has been about 80 degrees.