· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Intersting to see the difference. I have had the same general experience that it takes a long while to get my school up and going due to die off. I remember Hobbs having that issue too a while back, maybe im mistaken? But none the less I am glad to hear of your little neons doing well! I have heard also that young fish adapt better overall.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @sandz I've been looking into some of your other suggestions for fish. The honey gourami doesn't do much for me, visually, but the ram was interesting. There are lots of very pretty guppies out there, although I will do my level best to pick only males! And I found quite a variety of corydoras so I will probably go ahead with that. Not sure which type, but there's still time to figure that out.

I found this article on hard water fish
    http://wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwhardness.htm
    which gave me some ideas too. So now I'm thinking:
    -swordtails? Those are cool looking.
    -rainbow fish? Apparently they are peaceful enough for a community aquarium.

Opinions on the African dwarf frog joining a group like this? I've seen them at the fish store sharing a tank with guppies, so that gives me hope. My kid really wants one.

Off to read the reptile sub-forum for stuff about the frog...

0 Not allowed!
    I can't help with the frogs as we don't have them here, but Rainbowfish get too big and too active for a 29g tank. Swordtails would work, however these do get pretty big so they would take up a lot of your stocking room.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Actually is you fancy rainbows, see if you can find Celebes Blue Eyes, they are a dward rainbow and VERY fast. A 29 is small for the adult size of a sword tail only becuase they are jumpers. Most tanks you need to have a glass top or you will see them jump for no reason on your carpet. This isnt always the case but they are a handfull.

Corries are great, rams are too. The honey gourami is an active peaceful fish that does better than most other dwarfs, but never stock something you dont visually like.

On the frogs, they wont do well in such a tall tank. They breathe air and are not a very in your face pet. They would do better in a tank for 3-5 of them in a 5gal tank.
    Last edited by Sandz; 04-08-2013 at 03:21 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    I know that's a commonly held believe. I find it to be untrue. There's a difference between surviving and thriving. Some fish are better at dealing with it than others, with some fish their kidneys fail relatively quickly in hard water.
    I also think that I might as well stop mentioning this if I'm the only one who thinks it's relevant.
    I would second this and think it is relevant.

I wouldn't keep neons in hard water. Agreed - Neons can be very sensitive due to inbreeding - but on the other hand I certainly wouldn't encourage wild-caught Cardinal specimens as a better alternative - primarily as it is so difficult to ensure sustainability and welfare. The evidence I have seen of wild-caught species is that their health and adaptability is very poor when directly compared to captive-bred cousins. The die off rates for wild caught fish tend to be pretty horrendous from what I have read in Practical Fish Keeping magazine.

I think anecdotal evidence, whilst helpful in many cases, is not to be relied upon when welfare is of concern. Like Dutchie says, just because they survive does not mean they necessarily thrive - and fish are difficult things to assess for these kinds of indicators. When you have such a huge choice of fish I believe it is only right to choose one that will suit your water as much as possible.

Have you considered keeping shell-dwelling Tanganyikan species? They will thrive in your hard-water and are really interesting little fish.
    If you don't want aggressive species like cichlids then guppies are a super alternative hard-water inhabitant and will thrive.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I understand what you are saying Firefly, and the thought of considering Cardinals in the tank only comes from years of success with the fish that I have experienced first hand. I can agree on the ecological stand point as well. I wont go to the extreme idiology of fish not even being shipped due to potential mortality and stress, thats a whole other debate that need not be rehashed for the umpteenth time... But being that its fairly common to see the cardinal tetra in aquariums from hard to soft water applications, it only lends it to say they are an aggressivly addaptable species that is appropraite for aquaria.

Also Talldutchie, I dont want to disregard anything you bring to the table. I did some research over renal failure among fish. No where in the US sites did I see a posting that linked hard water to fish death due to renal failure. The kidney obsorbs and holds salts and many other things so it would be easy mentally to make the link between it holding the liquid rock in its filtering system (more so considering the ammount of excretion fish produce being hyperosmotic based organisms who live in water) but I have never seen it documented. Is there any site or study that you have access to that has done a study on the subject? Im interested in why you believe so heavily in it and if its cause for conscern I dont want to subject my discus and rams among other fish to this stress.

Here are some sites I found on the subject of renal failure in fish:

http://www.thefishsite.com/diseasein...ey-disease-bkd
    http://voices.yahoo.com/common-fresh...s-3025920.html - when refrencing dropsy
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2160&aid=3313

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Once the tank is cycled, I think the first bunch of fish will be a handful of guppies and a small school of cory cats. Then, I think I might go with a dwarf gourami instead of a honey gourami. I've been looking into the frogs a bit more and I think they would be ok in my tank - the water is 15in deep which is apparently in the acceptable range. Not sure about the water hardness though - I'll have to do more reading about that.

Hoping to get to the aquarium store this weekend - I want to pick up some nice bogwood or driftwood to supplement my ugly plastic plants :) and I'll ask them what they do about the hardness of the city water.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by soaringpilot View Post
    I've been looking into the frogs a bit more and I think they would be ok in my tank - the water is 15in deep which is apparently in the acceptable range.
    I have kept African dwarf frogs successfully in my ten gallon. My pH is 8.2 though I will admit I am not at all educated about talldutchie's statement about fish not thriving in a higher pH so I'll leave that research to you.

One warning about the frogs. They are much more high maintenance than the fish. They are usually shy in the beginning and don't typically go out and compete with the fish for food. Many newcomers to aquaria get them, drop some frog pellets in every other day and then come home to a dead frog after a couple of weeks because they starve to death. They need to be target fed either with reptile tongs or a turkey baster with a custom made brine shrimp or bloodworm solution in it. This can become pretty tedious over time.

I don't personally think the depth is a problem. What needs to be considered carefully is that these frogs are very peaceful and they inhabit primarily the bottom of the tank. If you stock anything big that might pick on them (like cichlids) then best leave the frogs out. Peaceful communities only.

They are also very social. I prefer to keep them in pairs or small groups. A lone frog is a lonely frog.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    One warning about the frogs. They are much more high maintenance than the fish.
    Good to know. It's my kid that wants them most; I'll mention this to him and see if he's willing to stay on top of the feeding.

So I dropped by one of the LFS on the weekend and asked them about the water. They don't do anything with it! (Except dechlorinate of course.) They don't fuss with the hardness at all, and all the fish are fine! Well, they seem fine. So I'm excited about that! It opens up my options quite a bit knowing that the fish will already be acclimated to the hard water.

Also picked up a nice gnarly chunk of wood and a little plastic airplane wreck, which amused me tremendously.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes fish purchased at a fish store near your home have that added bonus of already being in a water similar to your own. It makes acclimating them easier and less stressful for the fish.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress