· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Black spots on artificial plants

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I have a 25g freshwater tank. Artificial plants, all levels look good except nitrates which are around 20 which I was told was ok, but to me the water in the tube looked a little darker than usual so it may be a hair higher than 20. Anyway, I used to have algae eaters but the one I had for a long time (3 years) died and got a new one which promptly died and then 2 more in behind each other that died within weeks. I was told that it was because I didn't have enough algae in the tank for them to eat. So I just didn't get another one.

Now however I am seeing little black spots on my fake plants. I am guessing this is algae? As I said the water levels are all great, I maintain the water changes every week, I have 6 fish total in the tank so they aren't over crowded. We live in TN which I was told has a high copper level, but it doesn't seem to bother the fish and I do add a water additive/treatment. So...should I get another algae eater now? Or perhaps a catfish of some sort to at least take care of the food that gets to the bottom of the tank? I honestly don't know what the black dots are and they aren't like ALL OVER the tank. Just on one or two of my decos...mostly fake plants.

I am planning on doing a partial water change to get the nitrate level down some, and will change the bio beads in the filter then as well as rinse the sponge out good. I just changed the charcoal so that doesn't need it. I just don't know what this is and/or how to treat it. Also I noticed today that they are ONLY on the underside of the plant that sits directly in the path of the filter waterfall. Not sure if that matters or not but...

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    If you add an algae eater chances are you'll throw the tank further off balance.

In my opinion the best causes for nitrates are a water change with clean water or a load of plants.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duchess044 View Post
    Now however I am seeing little black spots on my fake plants. I am guessing this is algae? As I said the water levels are all great, I maintain the water changes every week, I have 6 fish total in the tank so they aren't over crowded. We live in TN which I was told has a high copper level, but it doesn't seem to bother the fish and I do add a water additive/treatment. So...should I get another algae eater now? Or perhaps a catfish of some sort to at least take care of the food that gets to the bottom of the tank? I honestly don't know what the black dots are and they aren't like ALL OVER the tank. Just on one or two of my decos...mostly fake plants.
    You could soak the artificial plants in a 10% bleach to 90% water solution in a bucket for 15 - 20 minutes and that should clear the black spots. Then rinse them under cool running water and resoak them in another bucket of clean water with a heavy dose of dechlorinator added. Add them back to the tank.

I would also perform partial water changes on the tank to get nitrates as low as possible.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ++ to Taurus. Works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    You could soak the artificial plants in a 10% bleach to 90% water solution in a bucket for 15 - 20 minutes and that should clear the black spots. Then rinse them under cool running water and resoak them in another bucket of clean water with a heavy dose of dechlorinator added. Add them back to the tank.

I would also perform partial water changes on the tank to get nitrates as low as possible.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I have an AquaClear 70 (which I understand has been "bought out" I believe by Fluval?) Anyway, are you guys saying I should NEVER replace any of the internals? Such as the BioMax inserts which are the ceramic rings, the Foam Filter insert, or the Activated Carbon inserts? I understand about just rinsing the foam insert with the tank water...but should I not ever replace anything?

EDIT: Also, I removed said plastic plant and guess what? It's specks of black paint. I guess they tried to make the plant look more "real" so they put little strips and splotches of black or could be dark dark green on the leaves. I will try to get pics but again my camera kind of sucks.