· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    omg German blue ram is so pretty! SAme with the Apistogramma 0.o omg i gota see if i can find any in stores around here if not i`ll be looking for them threw petsolutions and drsfosternsmiths ones 0.o anyways

OK so Far the ones i love are:
    German Blue Ram - my fav 0.o
    Apistogramma
    Kribs

So if i focus on these how many should i get in my tank? should it just be a couple pairs? and any recomanded Other Types of fish that would really make this tank shine XD you guys are so very helpful n its letting me know what i should be looking into.
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-4Red/Blue tetra -7,Buenos Aires Tetra-8emerald cory-5"1 Zebra Nerite"Albino Bristle Nose-2
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Ferns,

0 Not allowed!
    What's with the XD and the 0.o?

OF these three the krib is probably the easiest. Apistos really do best with more cover and leaf litter. Rams are somewhere in the middle.

It's all fairly common species, was in my local today, they had blue and normal rams and three kinds of apistos.

I'd say start with a pair and supplement with 10 of an easy and a bit robust schooling species. Black neons for example.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Talldutchie - those remarks are common american texting forms meaning excited and googly eyed...

Make sure If you decide on an appistogramma that you get a tank raised one, not a wild one. I guess same goes for all species. They are much easier to care for. Also do some research on types. Appistograma have many forms, most common is Borreli and Cockatoo.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    im sorry its a bad habit thats very very hard to break its acutaly from my mmorpg gameing days so umm ur welcome to ingore those.....
    im going to go check out my pet store called "the Ark" they uslay have a very good fish supply and see if they happen to have what i need if not i`ll probly just be ordering them online Once my tank is fully cycled atm im waiting on nitrite stage the ammonia i wake up to 0 everyday so i been doing 2ppm daily which is half what i started with.
    Is there any books that u could recomand for research? or should i just look threw web?
    Also i was hopeing to add in some more plants like swords because i have x2 6700k lighting for my vals so i figured some swords would be ok n offer some more cover and im ether getting some hornwort or duck weed to block the light more over the java's on the log.Also is there is any beginner plants that go good with these let me know thought i can look for them to add in?

kk i`ll start with a pair then once its ready.I`ll look at what kind of schooling fish the only problem with black neon my mom sits there n complains about them. All i hear is "why do u have to like the black fish why not more colorful" i was acutaly looking at these in the petstore last n thats all i heard lol
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 04-06-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-4Red/Blue tetra -7,Buenos Aires Tetra-8emerald cory-5"1 Zebra Nerite"Albino Bristle Nose-2
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Ferns,

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    You dont have to stick to Black Neons. Celestial Pearl Danio's (aka galaxy rasbora) are cool, Cardinal Tetra, An angelfish would do well in that tank, There are lots of appropriate stockings out there.

I would watch how much ammonia you are dosing. If you read the fishless cycle post.. you need to wait til ammonia goes all the way through the cycle before adding more and thats only supposed to be around 1ppm. To much ammonia can stall the cycle. Also with your plants it may be harder to judge. You need to successfully churn through 2ppm of ammonia in a 24hr period to consider cycled. The reading are going to be like 0 0 40 or around there. You do a water change and add the fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Talldutchie - those remarks are common american texting forms meaning excited and googly eyed...
    AHA!! Thanks for that.

0 Not allowed!
    You dont have to stick to Black Neons. Celestial Pearl Danio's (aka galaxy rasbora) are cool, Cardinal Tetra, An angelfish would do well in that tank, There are lots of appropriate stockings out there.

Disagree with you twice. CPD are a bit smallish around kribs in my opinion, too close to snack size.
    A single angel would work, I would really not recommend a newbie to have two potentially breeding species of cichlids in the same tank.

Books... I'm sure there are. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/ is better than the fish encyclopedia we had in the 1980s and 1990s.

@chaoswolf: Black neons were just the first thing that came to mind. Any number of schooling species would work. Rummynose, cardinals

I wanted to check the stock of your store but it seems to be staffed by a bunch of xenophobes who have blacklisted my whole country and I really can't be bothered to deal with that now.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome on the texting notes... but here me out here:

I have raised and bred Kribensis for well over 15 years.. CPDs are not a food source, at most fish fry are a food source for Kribs. They arent aggressive hunters and if left as a solo male or female will be a very peaceful community addition. They will defend territory and fry but will not spark out against others unless they feel invaded. Any schooling species in my opinion is safe with these fish. Specifically any type of danio is not only able boddied enough, but is fast enough to avoid any major wrath coming from a kribensis looking to drive out invasive fish.

On angels, I never mentioned a pair, I stated an angelfish, singular. In a 56 gallon tank its absolutely feasible to attain multiple but not something I would outright recommend. On that note, I have never recommended anything breeding because outside of the fact that the fish will be more aggressive, you add problems with fry care. The only person to suggest pairs was yourself (atleast counting the advice from each of us).

OP what would you like to see in your tank? Are you partial to other schooling fish?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    On a side note... the Ark looks really nice. They dont have an online stock list but stock discus and saltwater so I assume they would have many peaceful dwarf cichlids for the offering. Looks like a cool place.

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome on the texting notes... but here me out here:

I have raised and bred Kribensis for well over 15 years.. CPDs are not a food source, at most fish fry are a food source for Kribs. They arent aggressive hunters and if left as a solo male or female will be a very peaceful community addition. They will defend territory and fry but will not spark out against others unless they feel invaded. Any schooling species in my opinion is safe with these fish. Specifically any type of danio is not only able boddied enough, but is fast enough to avoid any major wrath coming from a kribensis looking to drive out invasive fish.
    OK, I'll defer to your knowledge. I have seen kribs take half grown guppies and wanted to be safe.
    On angels, I never mentioned a pair, I stated an angelfish, singular. In a 56 gallon tank its absolutely feasible to attain multiple but not something I would outright recommend. On that note, I have never recommended anything breeding because outside of the fact that the fish will be more aggressive, you add problems with fry care. The only person to suggest pairs was yourself (atleast counting the advice from each of us).

?
    I wasn't entirely sure and wanted to make sure OP didn't leap into anything foolish.
    I suggested a pair because it seemed OP was looking for something lively.