· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default How to feed Black Moor sharing with goldfish called "Speedy"!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

My kids have a Black Moor and an "ordinary" Goldfish sharing the same tank. The Black Moor used to go mad for food and would practically eat the food out of my hand, or my son's, but now he seems uninterested when it comes to feeding time and the other fish just gulps up everything. Now the kids are away for a few days and I'm concerned that he's hardly getting any food and maybe not at all.

I tried putting him in a plastic bowl with food in it but he didn't go for that either - maybe I didn't have him in it for long enough but it's not a long term solution anyway.

From what I've read, it's a better idea to not have these fish sharing, and I will try putting in lettuce etc. to see if the goldfish is less interested in that but I'm wondering if anyone can help with a solution to getting food into the Black Moor.

Thanks very much in advance,

Charloi

0 Not allowed!
    A lot of things can put fish off their food. It will help a lot if other info is provided such as tank size, maintenance routine, age of setup, etc

0 Not allowed!
    It's a random idea...but - you can get underwater goldfish feeders. They're not stupid and will learn to be fed from the feeder directly. You can train just the moor to be fed this way and you will then be able to make sure it gets its proper diet.

Here's the feeder I've seen:

I love these...
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies. I've attached a photo of the tank - I don't know the dimensions of it, sorry. The water gets changed about 30% every few days. We've only had the fish about 2 months. The filter has been changed a couple of weeks ago.

I've put the moor in a bowl again and put in lots of bits of carrot, cucumber, egg plant, spinach as well as some halved pellets - He's not going for them yet - I'm hoping he'll take some in as they drift by him!

image.jpg

Firefly, thanks for the videos, I might try training the ordinary goldfish! I don't think the moor would go for the feeder - food drifts by him all the time and he doesn't seem to notice.

Thanks again.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I looked at your picture and I think you have bigger problems than just the one goldfish refusing to it.

That tank is way too small for a goldfish of any type, and you only have it a little over half full which gives them even less water. The tank looks like a standard 10 gallon, and the comet is a pond fish that will get over a foot and the moor is a fancy that doesnt get as big but still needs lot of space. And you shouldnt just through away your filter cartridge. It restarts your cycle meaning ammonia and nitite will soon become toxic without many large waterchanges.

I think you should rehome your goldfish and start over with fiah that are more appropriate for the tank you have.

Good luck.

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to above. Your fish have lost their appetite through poor water quality.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeez, yes. Rehome! Don't swap the filter contents...ever. Fill that tank UP. Start again and do the fishless cycle.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all very much. I did a big clean of the water and the moor looks more lively already. I understand - I have to have these 2 fish in separate tanks that should be bigger anyway.

I don't understand about not throwing away the cartridge. The chap at the pet shop said it should be replaced every 5 or 6 weeks or so.

[QUOTE= And you shouldnt just through away your filter cartridge. It restarts your cycle meaning ammonia and nitite will soon become toxic without many large waterchanges.[/QUOTE]

And Firefly, you said "Don't swap the filter contents...ever. Fill that tank UP. Start again and do the fishless cycle."

I don't know what a fishless cycle is, sorry.

By the way the tank was low in water because I had taken the moor out and not replaced the water I took with him, it's normally a fair bit higher.

Again, thank you all very much.

0 Not allowed!
    Read up on the fishless cycle in the stickies of the beginners' section. It will teach you about the vital nitrogen cycle - key to neutralising fish waste.

Changing out the cartridge resets your cycle to zero as you throw out all the beneficial bacteria. Companies make money through repeat sales of parts for filters...this is why they TELL you to replace these pointless cartridges.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charloi View Post
    The chap at the pet shop said it should be replaced every 5 or 6 weeks or so.

The chap at the pet store gave you wrong info : (

And Firefly, you said "Don't swap the filter contents...ever. Fill that tank UP. Start again and do the fishless cycle."

I don't know what a fishless cycle is, sorry.

Cycling involves growing bacteria in the filter (the stuff in the filter is called "media") - this bacteria "eats" the ammonia produced by fish waste - unless there is bacteria present to do this or you remove the ammonia via water changes, ammonia will build up in the water and can harm the fish. Cycling requires ammonia (either from fish or put in directly by you - pure ammonia) - it is the nitrogen cycle.
    By the way the tank was low in water because I had taken the moor out and not replaced the water I took with him, it's normally a fair bit higher.

Yes, the water in the tank should be up to the top. May I recommend getting a liquid test kit (not strips) so you are able to test the water "parameters" (ammonia, nitrites & nitrates) and to do as suggested above and read the "cycling with fish" sticky (it's an article in red letters in the beginners section).

Again, thank you all very much.
    Please see my responses in red.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies