· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 30 gallon tank - 2 fish - weird levels

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there,

My husband and I recently got a 30 gallon fish tank for the kids (that we are taking care of).

Shamefully, before we started researching properly (aka, finding this forum), we went to our local aquarium shop and took all of our advice from the sales associate who was working with us. We both had tanks when we were growing up and the SA seemed quite knowledgeable and so we bought all of our basics (tank, filter for a 40g tank, heater, rocks, plants, gravel, fish flakes, chlorination conditioner, and siphon). He suggested we take the tank home and set it up and return to get the fish in 24 hours.

Well, I hate to admit this, but we did wait and bought 3 neon tetras and 2 black mollies, however, we also added our goldfish, Frank. Within 5 hours, all of the neon tetras died. We immediately started scouring the internet for more information. With further investigation, we went out and bought testing kits and checked the pH level. It was sitting at the highest level, 7.6. So we did a 50% water change. Tested again, same thing.

We ended up going back to the store to buy ammonia , nitrate , nitrite and high range ph testers.

pH is somewhere between 7.4 an 7.8.

Ammonia (this is whats bothering me the most) is at 1.0ppm (possibly 0.5ppm) - The first time we tested it was at 2ppm and we did a 50% water change and cleaned the gravel - but it only dropped to 1ppm (or 0.5ppm) - then we did a 25% change the following day and it was still sitting at the same (either 1ppm or 0.5)

Nitrates and Nitrites are both at 0ppm.

What do you suggest we do for the ammonia? Will daily water changes help that?

Also, we do realize that keeping our goldfish isn't an option, so we spoke to someone at the aquarium shop about it and her suggestion was to either set up a new tank for him, or take him into the store when we are ready. Its heartbreaking for the kids, but we decided to take Frank back to the aquarium store to "be with his family".

When do you think our tank will be ok to start adding new fish? How do we change the pH level of the tank? Are there certain fish that are ok in 7,6 pH? If you have an only answers or suggestions about anything we are doing, please let me know. We are really looking forward to having a healthy tank with some happy fish.

Thank you very much! :)

Jessica

0 Not allowed!
    Don't worry about pH. It isn't an indicator of bad water quality but simply the general parameters of your tap. Thus, changing water won't change pH. Your problems lie with you not cycling the tank, in other words, you have not accumulated the bacteria that, in an established aquarium, will break down fish waste. Look in the beginner's section for how to cycle. Once your your cycle is completed then, and only then proceed to add more fish. Please also research from now on the potential size and care requirements of all your stock.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, good to know about the pH! :) Thanks!

Also, I guess I forgot to mention, that we are trying to cycle the tank now so I guess this post should haev gone under the cycling section. We're doing frequent water changes and trying not to clean the gravel, but with the ammonia being so high, we thought that siphoning it with the water when it was at 2ppm was likely better for the fish. Currently, we don't have any ammo lock or anything like that.

The tank has been set up now for nearly a month. And now that we know better, we definitely wont be adding anymore fish (in fact, like I said, we will be getting rid of one). We have been doing our research and I saw that the general "rule of thumb" for fish to fish tank ratio is 1 inch per gallon. So we will only be getting a few small fish that won't grow to be any crazy sizes.

We are trying our best to keep reading and learning before we add any fish, and before we kill the ones we have.

But I am still curious how we can go about lowering the ammonia level without cleaning gravel and getting rid of our good bacteria.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank the Fish View Post
    Hi there,

so we bought all of our basics (tank, filter for a 40g tank, heater, rocks, plants, gravel, fish flakes, chlorination conditioner, and siphon). He suggested we take the tank home and set it up and return to get the fish in 24 hours.

Well, I hate to admit this, but we did wait and bought 3 neon tetras and 2 black mollies, however, we also added our goldfish, Frank. Within 5 hours, all of the neon tetras died.

Ammonia (this is whats bothering me the most) is at 1.0ppm (possibly 0.5ppm) - The first time we tested it was at 2ppm and we did a 50% water change and cleaned the gravel - but it only dropped to 1ppm (or 0.5ppm) - then we did a 25% change the following day and it was still sitting at the same (either 1ppm or 0.5)

Nitrates and Nitrites are both at 0ppm.

What do you suggest we do for the ammonia? Will daily water changes help that?

When do you think our tank will be ok to start adding new fish? How do we change the pH level of the tank? Are there certain fish that are ok in 7,6 pH? If you have an only answers or suggestions about anything we are doing, please let me know. We are really looking forward to having a healthy tank with some happy fish.
    Your pH is what it is - while your tank is cycling (growing bacteria in the filter to "eat" fish ammonia), it will fluctuate. Ammonia should ideally be kept at .25ppm while cycling - anything over that you should do a 50% water change (or more than 1) to get it down to protect your remaining fish.

You are advised to not purchase any more fish until your tank has cycled and your water "parameters" read 0ppm's for ammonia & nitrItes and 20ppm or less for nitrAtes (which is the end of the nitrogen cycle - that's what cycling entails).

Most common aquarium fish do not need special pH readings - they can be acclimated to whatever you have via introducing your tank water slowly to the water they came bagged in - if your fish are purchased in your own area there is no need to do this because the pH should be the same anyway.

What is also recommended is to purchase a 2nd smaller tank (like 5gal) to act as a quarantine tank. This tank will allow you to observe new fish for a few weeks (many of us do 2 weeks) to make sure they are eating well & adjust to the transfer from store to your home. If a fish becomes ill in quarantine it will be cheaper & easier to treat in a quarantine tank than for a new fish to infect your whole main tank.

You made a wise decision about the goldfish.

Another question - what kind of filter did you get? In general, it is recommended to get enough filtration for double the size of your tank, therefore, you would need something for at least 60gal.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you imma.

I clearly haven't had enough coffee today lol - I kept saying we have a 30g tank, but it is actually a 20g tank (we have an old 30g tank in the basement that we are not setting up) and our filter system is for a 40g tank.

We do have a small tank that we were using for Frank the goldfish, but it is only 2.5g. Is that big enough for a quarantine tank? When we do start buying fish, will we be quarantining them in water that we remove directly from our running tank?

0 Not allowed!
    My thoughts:
    - a goldfish doesn't belong in a 20g tank. It's far too small. For fancy goldfish you need 30g for a single fish only. 55g for two or three.
    - why would you even consider moving the fish from an uncycled 20g to an uncycled 2.5g? Don't. Do MULTIPLE water changes each day to keep the ammonia levels below 0.25ppm
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you need the tank to complete the cycle before you do anything else with your fish. This will involve daily water changes to keep your ammonia level down while the necessary bacteria develop. If ammonia level reads 0.5, a 50% change will bring it down to 0.25, 75% change will bring it down to .12 and so on. at some stage you will see nitrites appear and your ammonia will start to go down. nitrites will then spike, then ammonia and nitrites will both go to zero, and nitrates will appear. When this occurs (can take 6-8 weeks with fish in) your cycle is complete, and water changes will be dictated by your nitrate levels (ammonia and nitrites having been converted to nitrates). Do not wash your filter during this process, if you do need to clean it, just a rinse in water from your tank. Ideally, you would have a second filter in your running tank which you can remove to the 2.5 gallon each time you want to use it as a QT. The second filter will need to run long enough in the main tank to grow its own colony of bacteria, you then have instant cycle in the QT whenever you set it up. As for as stocking once your cycle is complete, go to the LFS with the kids but without your wallet, look at mollies, platies, tetras, rasboras etc, once you have a feel for what you or the kids would like, post again and we can advise on numbers and compatability. Good luck.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    My thoughts:
    - a goldfish doesn't belong in a 20g tank. It's far too small. For fancy goldfish you need 30g for a single fish only. 55g for two or three.
    - why would you even consider moving the fish from an uncycled 20g to an uncycled 2.5g? Don't. Do MULTIPLE water changes each day to keep the ammonia levels below 0.25ppm
    This is why we are taking the goldfish back to the fish store. I wasn't planning on putting the goldfish into the 2.5g tank, we had him in there before we knew any better which was why we put him in the 20g tank until we are able to take him back to the store.

I was just curious if a 2.5g tank was too small for a quarantine tank was all.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bissett View Post
    you need the tank to complete the cycle before you do anything else with your fish. This will involve daily water changes to keep your ammonia level down while the necessary bacteria develop. If ammonia level reads 0.5, a 50% change will bring it down to 0.25, 75% change will bring it down to .12 and so on. at some stage you will see nitrites appear and your ammonia will start to go down. nitrites will then spike, then ammonia and nitrites will both go to zero, and nitrates will appear. When this occurs (can take 6-8 weeks with fish in) your cycle is complete, and water changes will be dictated by your nitrate levels (ammonia and nitrites having been converted to nitrates). Do not wash your filter during this process, if you do need to clean it, just a rinse in water from your tank. Ideally, you would have a second filter in your running tank which you can remove to the 2.5 gallon each time you want to use it as a QT. The second filter will need to run long enough in the main tank to grow its own colony of bacteria, you then have instant cycle in the QT whenever you set it up. As for as stocking once your cycle is complete, go to the LFS with the kids but without your wallet, look at mollies, platies, tetras, rasboras etc, once you have a feel for what you or the kids would like, post again and we can advise on numbers and compatability. Good luck.
    Thank you very much for the feedback! I appreciate it and will be back here again before we buy any fish!! :)

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear it. Thanks for doing the right thing. No doubt you'll be rewarded with an exceptionally well kept and planned set up when you start again. Stay in touch.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~