· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrroutley View Post
    I haven't been because ammonia hasn't ever gone above 0.25 ppm and I've been told doing water changes will slow down cycling. I've also added live plants now as I'm preparing for the final stock I want in my tank.
    The same thing happened when I cycled with fish - my ammonia never went above .25 - took over 2 months to cycle - with 5 goldfish (which I didn't keep - this was before I knew about this forum & learned better).

Even after you add the plants though, I wouldn't add anymore fish until your parameters show you are cycled - ammonia will be at 0, nitrites at 0 and you should have a small reading for nitrates.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have been checking nitrites and nitrates and they have stayed at zero. I have added more fish and live plants to the tank in hopes of being able to start to get some nitrites in the tank. What is needed to properly care for the live plants? I have never kept them before and was not given any information when I bought them. I am not planning on adding or changing anything more in the tank until it is cycled just like everyone here as suggested. Thanks to everybody being so helpful I've been struggling trying to know what to do (fish stores all stay something different).

0 Not allowed!
    I cycled my 29 gallon tank with 14 glowlights. I think in all that water you will need to add some more fish or will have a very low bioload when it does finally get cycled. Don't let that ammonia get over .25. I'm actually surprised you got it that high with only 6 of those small fish.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have been keeping an eye on ammonia and will do the water changes when/if it gets above .25. I had been overfeeding the tank with the 6 of the glowlights and am hoping adding the 4 platy's will help.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if by platys you mean plecostemus (spelling) be advised that while they get rid of the algae and excess food in your tanks, they are, in polite terms...Poop factories. Platy's can get quite big depending on which ones you purchased for your tanks.

Good luck with your tank and keep up with those water changes like you are planning to. Also keep track of your nitrates and nitrites as well...any nitrite can be deadly to your stock, and most fish can't handle nitrates over 20.

Keep us posted.
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat

0 Not allowed!
    I see you added platies so never mind what I wrote about adding more fish. I missed that post where you did add more.

Shidohari.......A platy is not a pleco. :)

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrroutley View Post
    I have been keeping an eye on ammonia and will do the water changes when/if it gets above .25. I had been overfeeding the tank with the 6 of the glowlights and am hoping adding the 4 platy's will help.
    You still need to do at least a weekly water change even if the ammonia doesn't get over .25ppm. There are other reasons to do water changes besides keeping ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels down. There are trace minerals that need to be replenished with fresh water, and other things like hormones he fish secrete that need to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shidohari View Post
    if by platys you mean plecostemus
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shidohari View Post
    if by platys you mean plecostemus (spelling) be advised that while they get rid of the algae and excess food in your tanks, they are, in polite terms...Poop factories. Platy's can get quite big depending on which ones you purchased for your tanks.
    Platy:

plecostomus:

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for clarifying guys. I honestly admit i was confusing the two...
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for ALL your help guys. I've finally got 5 ppm of nitrates. Planning on doing a major water change and tank cleaning at some point this weekend. Any idea how to get pH down below 7?? That's my next struggle.