· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default My time and money pit of a tank

0 Not allowed!
    Currently cycling my tank (which is seeming to take forever!!) with the 6 glowlight tetras in there. I think I have my final stock planned out for when it is finished. Got two of the tetras which look really fat (can't tell if their pregnant or if I'm feeding them too much trying to get the ammonia to start being produced). Tested my water and I'm just above 0.25 ppm in ammonia so hoping it will start producing nitrite soon (fingers crossed). BTW its a 46 gallon bowfront tank.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so you can't force fish to eat-poop and then produce ammonia.

it'll happen naturally

since you decided to cycle WITH fish-you are looking at around 6 weeks of cycling-if not more. sometimes it can take 8-10 pending how you keep up on the cycle.

now that you are at 0.25ppm-you need to do a water change, that level is dangerous to your fish.

0 Not allowed!
    I believe this tank will take quite a bit of time to cycle - 6 glowlight tetras don't produce that much ammonia - that's my tank.

If you have the ability to return those fish and cycle with ammonia (because you can spike the ammonia reading to get bacteria to grow faster), I would recommend that - otherwise you are looking at more than just a few weeks I hate to say. If that doesn't matter to you then as stated above, keep that ammonia reading at .25 to protect your fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now I've got an algae bloom happening and having to scrub a huge amount of algae off the glass everyday.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you are overfeeding and leaving the lights on too long. Unless it is brown diatoms which are normal and will subside with time.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So added four platy's into the tank, pH went up to 8.0 and ammonia levels went to 0 but no nitrite or nitrate

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow you're a thrill seeker. How much and how often are you completing water changes?
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 6 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, 2 assassin snails.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't been because ammonia hasn't ever gone above 0.25 ppm and I've been told doing water changes will slow down cycling. I've also added live plants now as I'm preparing for the final stock I want in my tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have been reading this thread, and i would just like to advise on a couple points.

As you are cycling with fish, even .25 ammo in your tank is unhealthy. Regardless of how hardy your fish is with an uncycled tank this could cause issues that are subtle or very noticable.

Also have you been checking your Nitrites and Nitrates as well. If you have a Nitrite spike, that is very life threatening to your fish. Nitrates can be harmful to your fish if they rise above a reading of 20. Keep an eye on both of these.

It seems like you have a lot of fish in your tank right now, this could also be causing the ammonia reading on top of possible overfeeding because the tank isn't used to the biolevel yet.

Plants will help keep the numbers down, just ensure you have the items to nourish them. If they start to go that will also start to add extra ammo to your tank.

Good luck with your tank...and keep us posted.
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    You need ammonia to cycle a tank and water changes reduce the amount of ammonia, so yes, water changes will increase the time it takes to cycle a tank. However, when cycling with fish, you must do water changes to keep them alive, that's the price you pay (or your fish pay if you choose not to change water) for cycling with fish. It's good the ammonia levels haven't risen above .25ppm, but you still need to do at least one good sized water change a week, more if the ammonia level rises over .25ppm.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.