· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Lost one Cardinal...

0 Not allowed!
    Well folks the inevitable has happened. I lost one cardinal. The cause is not 100% clear at this point. The poor fella got sucked into the sump. I found one in the overflow this morning and retrieved him. I found the other this afternoon in the filter floss of the sump. He was too beat up to save unfortunately. Now I need to come up with a method of blocking the overflow. Ideas are welcome.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    What makes you think you need to block the overflow? Fish that get sucked into something are generally already dead or dying. I cover my filter intake with a chunk of course sponge.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    What makes you think you need to block the overflow? Fish that get sucked into something are generally already dead or dying. I cover my filter intake with a chunk of course sponge.
    Because it was still alive and the fact that another one was in the overflow this morning that was fine. More than likely you are probably correct in that it was already dying but I would like to at least take precautions just in case.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Nudge my memory please? I see a lot of plumbing here http://mramsey.homeip.net/img/72/stock/IMG_5999.JPG but it's not readily apparent from that one what the intake is.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All three are intakes, the two on the left are the continuous siphons. One thought that comes to mind is maybe some kind of mesh material, like a gutter guard, to wrap around those two intakes.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah.. but also remember that sooner or later you'll want to remove them for a quick clean.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/470...r_net_bath.jpg I can buy for next to nothing and it's a very cheap way to get aquarium safe mesh. Perhaps get an end cap that fits your pipes, drill out, glue mesh in and push on the ends?

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I would do something like that, a plug drilled out with mesh covering.. but that won't prevent them from getting into overflow though

My zebra danios were like that for a long time, finally enough of them died and were replaced that they seemed smart enough to not swim into the filter outflow

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Yea I would do something like that, a plug drilled out with mesh covering.. but that won't prevent them from getting into overflow though

My zebra danios were like that for a long time, finally enough of them died and were replaced that they seemed smart enough to not swim into the filter outflow
    Yeah, I don't mind fishing them out of the overflow... there is plenty of water for them to swim there. I just don't want one to accidentally get sucked up there. I was looking at some of this maybe -
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so this morning I found one cardinal swimming in the intake chamber of the sump. Pretty beat up so I am not sure if he will survive. I also found another in the overflow but he was fine. I modified a couple of the plastic pots that my plants came in so that they clip around the intake tubes. This should prevent anymore victims in the sump.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal