· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Preplanning my stock

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is still cycling but have begun to think about the fish I'm going to put in there. I was thinking angelfish, denison barbs, rams and appistogrammas. I haven't thought about the type of rams or appristogrammas that I want yet but suggestions on combinations would be appreciated as well as any thoughts on plants and decor I should put in there. Right now I have gravel, a piece of iron wood, a bubbling rock with places to swim in and out of as well as 4 plants (I plan on adding more) as well as 6 emperor tetras just for cycling (will rehome or take back to the store when done cycling).

0 Not allowed!
    Knowing the tanks size would be helpful.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry its a 46 gallon I forgot to add that

0 Not allowed!
    from the stock you posted, I would avoid denison barbs, due to the fact that they will mature at 5-6 inches, are highly active and also social. a 46 gallon tank will
    not be able to accomodate a school of 6+ active, schooling fish. rams and apistos are both dwarf cichlids that occupy the same tank space. unless you are doing a one species each
    type thing, I would go for either an apisto species or a ram species due to the possibility of territorial aggression.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Our tank is 36" across and was thinking that might be enough space for the denisons, apistos and rams? I was also thinking angelfish might add some more color to it? I'm new to fish tanks and just want to make sure that I understand and make the right decisions to have a colorful and good looking tank.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I applaud you for doing the research prior-it'll save you headache, $, and you'll have an incredible tank.

the denisons are just too big and active for a tank that size. they'd be cramped in a 55 (4ft long). they need the length to really "stretch out their legs" as we americans say.

but you'll need to have a very heavy decorated tank to pull of multiple dwarf cichlids.
    Check out the photo sub forum here for ScottishFish's tank-he's got a 40ish gallon and has been successful in pulling off multiple dwarfs, but you'll need to emulate that heavy of a design.

I tried it w/o that much barrier and my ram killed my apisto. (in my 45gallon tank)

I'm attempting this again and have near copied his set up with more driftwood than I can imagine. I have 2 bolivian rams and a krib in there now. no issues.

However, i would suggest in either the dwarfs or the angelfish (note singular angelfish. lol)
    They are all still considered cichlids and need to be treated as such-they pack a good temperament between them and a combo of all 3 just wouldn't work out in a 46gallon. I would think a 55 would be the smallest to try that in. (an extra foot really does make a huge difference)

but the color will come from your decor, plants (shall you chose to go that route) and fish of choice.
    apistos are very colorful
    rams (electric blue, german, gold, bolvians) all are colorful on their own aspect

your top level fish can be any schooling species that you desire
    bloodfin tetras
    cardinal tetras
    neons

but if you want the best color/set up-then try to stick to one school of tetra and get a good number of them (pending your other stock)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Think if I went with as much hiding spots/decor as his tanks I could pull of the apistos and rams? With some tetras instead of the denisons with a school for around 6 of them? And no to the angelfish as well then? So max two of each of the dwarfs?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With that much decor-yes, you should be able to pull it off.

However, going more than 1 and not a mated pair is a risk. you could end up with 2 males of each and m/m do not play nice. but at the same time, m/f could work-until they breed and then all he** could break lose with protecting their fry.

I would stick to one apisto (cockatoo's are superb) and 2 bolivian rams-bolivians are hardier, and are less aggressive.

Then for your tetra's, you have lots of room to get a bigger school than that. (10-15+ pending the species)
    if you find some you like locally, we can throw out some #s of a good school (as some tetras get bigger than others)

But my personal rule is a school should be 10 to really see their true behavior.

I would nix the angelfish in that stocking plan.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i wouldnt do the 2 species of dwarfs, even with all the decor theres always the chance (as stated above) during mating or even not during mating, that all heck will break out and you can loose all your rams and aspitos. i would chose one or the other and do it out nice for them.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm.. depends on the exact setup. I'd risk it in a well planted tank.

Another point, whatever tetra you go for, 8 or 10 would be a better number.