· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Honey Gourami's in a 29G XH

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, I'm new to this community but not entirely new to fish keeping, however this is my first freshwater tropical.
    I currently have a 29g XH tank (36lx12wx18h) which is lightly planted (I will be adding more plants and possible a floating hornwort plant).
    I was just wondering about how I should go about stocking it, or finishing stocking it. It currently has 4 Nerite snails (tire track), 4 Zebra/gold danios. I was going to add one or two more danios so that they will be happier in a school and as far as after that what I want to do is; add some honey gourami (possibly 3 or more, unless other fish are suggested) as well as a bulldog pleco and some amano shrimp. I will be upgrading the filter (currently a Tetra Whisper 30) to an aquaclear made for 20-40g tanks with a 200gph flow rate.

Are there any problems between gouramis and danios? Since danios are quick swimmers and gouramis are more leisurely.
    Is this sufficiently stocked? Do I have room for more variation, and if so any suggestions?

Thank you guys!

0 Not allowed!
    Honey gouramis are shy, as you already know. They won't stay near the surface and show their natural behavior well unless you have a well decorated tank with plants reaching all the way to the top. Floating plants like frogbit or phyllanthus help too. If they have a lot of spaces to hide then they always will be able to take a break from the danios. All gouramis are territorial and keeping multiple gouramis in a single tank usually doesn't work. However honey gouramis are very small and peaceful for a gourami and so if you try, ensure there is lots of cover and hiding spots and make sure that only one fish is a male.

0 Not allowed!
    While I'm not the best at compatibility issues, if you are going to upgrade your filter, best it's for at least 60gal - filtration should really be for double the size of your tank, hence your tank is just under 30gal.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much, I will definitely make sure to only have one male at most. Are female honey's severely less beautiful than their male counterparts? and if not is it more advisable to simply have only females? I would generally prefer that they did not mate as I'm not well equipped to deal with fry from any fish. And if I decide to plant the tank heavier, will I have room for something like german rams or blue balloon rams? Just a few small ones (I know that blue balloons grow up to 3")