· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default confirmed ammonia spike

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, I posted yesterday about some issues with fish dying and my suspicions about cycling again in my 55 gallon tank but haven't heard anything since posting my parameters. It turns out I did have .25 ammonia, no nitrite and a respectable 20 ppm nitrate.

I did an appx 50% water change using Prime and took it easy on the gravel. When I tested again the ammonia result looked even greener - like maybe .30, but under .5 . I put about a 1/2 cup of ammocarb in the filter and but have not tested it since last night.

Some suggested a bacteria booster. Do I need it since I have nitrate? If I do, what kind should I use? Should I keep doing 50% daily until my Ammonia goes to O or should change less and less often? Should I keep the ammo carb or ditch it and do you have any other helpful ideas?

Thanks
    S

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    get rid of that ammo carb, i think thats the stuff that removes (absorbs) the ammonia. this is a bad idea because it leaves any BB you have to starve to death.

keep up with water changes and test for ammonia, you can pick up ammo lock or other ammonia detox to help the fish survive the recycling/spike.

did you replace the filters at all? or did you forget to dechlorinate?

fyi if/when you detox the ammonia it will still test higher levels of ammonia, the test will read both the ammonia and the ammonium (the detoxed ammonia). hope your fish make it.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    I should add our tap water sometimes tests for up to .25 ppm ammonia. The water company does not test for ammonia or Nitrite. The chloramines run from 1.7 to 2.0 pmm, nitrate is .2 to .8 ppm. Generally I add at least 6 drops prime to each 2-3 gallon bucket and let them sit while I siphon the tank or take a break.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    How long after that water change did you test for ammonia? If there is .25ppm ammonia in the tap and .25ppm ammonia no nitrites and 20ppm nitrates in the tank, maybe you didn't give the filter enough time to process the ammonia.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I gave it about an hour. Did another water change tonight and added ammo lock. I won't test again til I get home tomorrow from work. Did my other 55 and my two 20's and boy am I tired!

0 Not allowed!
    Ammo chips won't hurt your cycle, nor will Ammo lock. Both turn harmful Ammonia into less harmful Ammonium, which the BB can also and do use. However, if you are using a water treatment such as Prime, you won't need those items, as it contains an ammonia neutralizer already in it. Keep in mind, Ammo chips and Ammo lock will give you a high ammonia reading, even though it is neutralized. Prime can also do the same thing, as most tests also read ammonium as straight ammonia regardless.

Your best bet is to continue water changes, and to clean the gravel. The spike may be due to build up in the gravel of mulm or detritus that can be converting to a higher level of ammonia than the BB in your filters can handle.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    And feed the fish very little. Like a tiny bit every couple of days. Leftover food rots = more ammonia. If your water is "over" .25 in ammonia, then do your large water change. You need not do big water changes if your water is not in the danger level. If you now have nitrates, the ammonia should stop spiking soon and then you will only have nitrites to deal with for a bit.

I see you joined in 07. Where ya been the last 6 years? I remember you from way back.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiari View Post
    Ammo chips won't hurt your cycle, nor will Ammo lock. Both turn harmful Ammonia into less harmful Ammonium, which the BB can also and do use.
    Tiari, the last time I checked Ammo chips were made out of zeolite which is an adsorbent. If that's still the case ammo chips adsorb free ammonia out of the water column.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Ammo chips and ammo carb are two different things, sort of. Ammo chips as Taurus says are just zeolite and ammo carb is both zeolite and activated carbon. Zeolite absorbs ammonia and is not recommended in a cycling tank or a cycled tank because it will slow down the cycle and possibly "kill" cycle. Everything I have read states that zeolite is primarily for emergency situations and should not be used constantly as filter media.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    My 55 is now holding steady w/ .25 ammonia, no nitrite. I may still lose a couple, but some of the fish that were ailing before appear to be feeling better. The rest of the fish in there are back to normal.

Now the real horror story is my 20 gal nursery tank- ammonia and nitrite results were a perfect green and purple - Joker colors. Turns out when I was trying to restart one of its filters, I had set the bio media bag in one of the 55 gal's filters and forgot to put it back!

Well I did a pretty big water change last night and put the bag back in with the addition of some bio balls from one of my less troublesome tanks. I'll test the water again tonight and go from there.