· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post

But OK, now that I am done fiercely defending my stocking choices, I do have a question about water hardness. I read that these five-banded barbs come from black water habitats--canals, near-stagnant pools, things like that. I don't know how hard my water is, but this being Wyoming I'm guessing it's on the hard side. Can the five-bandeds handle normal tap water, or do they need softened water?
    Quite a few fish from blackwater habitats can handle hard water but you will see them colour up and display more exuberant behaviour and even pre-mating if you switch. Even if you're in hard water they tend to perk up when you add some leaf litter or elder cones.

Wyoming... hmmm... together with Montana a part of your country I'd really like to visit sometime. But, that's not the point. How are your options for rain collection?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Rain is pretty scarce around here, so not good. So what do you do, throw a little peat or leaf litter into the filter? I've never tried that sort of thing, and I'm not sure it would be worth the effort, but might be interesting to try, and worth knowing how anyway.

And yes, there are worse places to live. I'm right at the base of the Wind River range; just got back from a long trail run in the desert. It's beautiful here. Thanks for the help.
    My computer beat me at chess, but it proved no match for me at kickboxing.

www.whistlingbadger.com

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ...but then, I don't want to mess up my rainbows. They are sort of the main showpiece in the tank, and I have heard several places that they like harder water.
    My computer beat me at chess, but it proved no match for me at kickboxing.

www.whistlingbadger.com

0 Not allowed!
    Compromise then, see what happens if you add some leaf to your tank. Start slowly with 3 or so and see what happens.

0 Not allowed!
    Keeping known nippers like tiger barbs in a larger school is A way to minimize heterospecific nipping, but it is in no way a guarantee. I feel that people read "keeping a larger school prevents aggression" and so they think it'll all be fine (6 is NOT a large school, btw), but it can easily go the other way and now you have that many more mouths nipping. A large (10+) school is your best shot, but it's still a risk. And speaking of risks, keeping tiger barbs with a goldfish?? HUGE risk.

Yes, 75 is a fine temperature for goldfish, as well as most "tropical" fish. Temp invokes two knee jerk reactions - goldfish need "cooler" water, and "tropicals" need 80 degree water. Meanwhile, people who keep goldfish in ponds can see their water reach 90 degrees in the summer, and they do just fine. Too, most people keep their "tropical" fish in water that is unnecessarily warm. Many don't even know the temperature range of their own fish.

I'm glad you are giving up the Denison barbs - the tank is not large enough for them. In addition to them, I don't think it's big enough for the turquoise rainbows either. But, mine are full grown. Having kept them in a 4 foot tank, and moved them to a 6 foot tank, there's no way that I would put them back in a 4. They are large, active fish that need space to swim. We all have to decide for ourselves how much room we want our fish to have to swim. I recognize that I probably am in the minority on the rainbows, but that's how I feel about it. I like to give my fish more the the bare minimum - I find that I enjoy them more that way, and truthfully, that is my only concern. Since you want an Asian tank, they don't belong anyway.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just want to note that the denisons minimum tank length is 120 cm, but you need 45cm in length. I say these are more of a 75 or 90 gallon-suited fish. I have these in my tropical pond and they do move a lot, so moving them is the right choice.
    Also tiger barbs are pretty tricky. They hog food, and their aggression can go any way. If you are to keep tiger with a diffirent fish, make sure it is at least 100 gallons and that the fish you keep them with will win the fight. I don't know why people say "larger groups lower aggression" because it isn't a fact. I know someone who kept 20 or so of these with 2 large oscars in a 300 gallon and they ganged up on and killed the oscars. Not saying that larger groups don't lower aggression, but it is always a risk.

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, your goldfish does not belong in that tank. They are cold water fish and the others are all warm water.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    If you are to keep tiger with a diffirent fish, make sure it is at least 100 gallons and that the fish you keep them with will win the fight.
    Once I moved them to a 4 foot tank (55 gallon), they didn't bother any of the other fish (zebra loaches, clown plecos, colombian tetras, giant danios, chanchito cichlids and bolivian rams). I had trouble in tanks smaller than that, but had great success keeping them with serpae tetras in a 29, as well as a crayfish in a 29. Tank size plays a huge role in a fish's behavior, but you most certainly don't need 100+ gallons to keep them with other fish. That's my experience with them.

I think many people overreact when it comes to tiger barbs, especially people who have not kept them, or have improperly kept them. Provided you are smart about stocking (no goldfish...) and give them a large enough tank (which most people do not...), they can be kept in a community tank with a high probability of success.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @jay: I meant to avoid risks. My zebra loaches were fine with these until I removed the barbs.

0 Not allowed!
    My biggest problem with keeping tiger barbs is they go after and kill each other. I have never kept them in a tank smaller than a 55. And, I have also never kept any fewer than 15. So I cannot comment on keeping them in a tank that is not 4 feet long. But when I kept them, they used every inch of the 55. But, as I said, they never went after other fish. Just each other.