· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 70 of 190 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast

Default Trying to help daughter with new aquarium and dying fish

0 Not allowed!
    Oh no! I don't know anything about snails, but when I was like 12 years old I had a twenty gallon tank in my room and I had a snail like that named Gary.

One day the same thing happened to Gary. He just disappeared and left his shell behind. When I picked the shell up, a small wrinkly pink thing about the size of an m&m tumbled out of it, my 12 year old mind just assumed that Gary died and left his brain behind, but who can really say?

I don't know if that story does anything for you but it's the only contribution I had for the subject.
    Last edited by CrunchyLeaf; 08-31-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaLove97 View Post
    I think the best and easiest plan might be to try getting a plant to increase the water quality.
    I would really recommend "marimo moss balls". They don't have roots and they oxygenate the tank and clear the water. These little guys are hardy yokes. You can buy them on ebay (where i got mine) for like €5 with free shipping to anywhere in the world
    p.s. if they all died you could try a cold water aquarium (just remove your heater) there are really cool and unique coldwater fish you can get that are reall hardy just ask your pet shop
    hope i helped. good luck! :)
    Thanks, my water quality is good, and I have 4 plants AND one of those mossballs...this is a heavily populated tank (see sig), at least 6-7 more juvie snails are in there, and thriving...I guess it may just be this snail's time to pack it in, so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    Oh no! I don't know anything about snails, but when I was like 12 years old I had a twenty gallon tank in my room and I had a snail like that named Gary.

One day the same thing happened to Gary. He just disappeared and left his shell behind. When I picked the shell up, a small wrinkly pink thing about the size of an m&m tumbled out of it, my 12 year old mind just assumed that Gary died and left his brain behind, but who can really say?

I don't know if that story does anything for you but it's the only contribution I had for the subject.
    Thanks CL, the story about Gary's "brain" will be hard to forget
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,
    i was asked awhile back (maybe by gronlaura?, can't remember now) for a recent pic or vid of Lauren's 10 gallon, and I am finally getting around to it...I have had kind of a hard time getting her platys to eat their veggies, but I think they have finally figured out what to do with the squash now...here's proof, in a shaky and fuzzy little vid

Notice the larger, pale-ish looking platy...he/she is kind of deformed looking, almost looks like it has a hunchback or something, and little or no dorsal fin...anybody know what may be going on here?....he seems to act just fine, eats well, plays well with others, etc, just kind of funky looking...we call him "Hunchy", LOL

Also, I did not realize that guppies would like squash until now, but you can see the 2 getting a little bite now and then

Thanks for watching!

4. Default

2 Not allowed!
    very sweet. It's the perfect tank for a little girl - including the pink gravel :o)

The platy does look a bit deformed but he also looks healthy so I wouldn't worry about him.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you fishmommie, I appreciate it...to be honest, now that Lauren has seen my tank, she is leaning toward a more natural look, so the pink gravel's days may be numbered, lol...I am thinking after the first of the year of getting her a 20 long and kind of starting over, and she is all for it....she really likes bettas, so that is what the 10g may eventually house

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, it was I who requested a video of Lauren's tank. Her fish look very healthy (I agree with FM and wouldn't worry about Hunchy). The guppies are really pretty (sorry guppy boys, handsome just doesn't sound right for a guppy). I like the little house with the waterwheel and agree that a change to a more natural gravel color would complete the tank nicely. It's a great looking 10 gal tank!

I bet she would do a super job with a 20 long.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    I had a danio that developed a hump but it was otherwise normal and a food pig LOL

I found my lone guppy loves picking at cucumber I sometimes put into my tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Yes, it was I who requested a video of Lauren's tank. Her fish look very healthy (I agree with FM and wouldn't worry about Hunchy). The guppies are really pretty (sorry guppy boys, handsome just doesn't sound right for a guppy). I like the little house with the waterwheel and agree that a change to a more natural gravel color would complete the tank nicely. It's a great looking 10 gal tank!

I bet she would do a super job with a 20 long.
    I thought that it was you!...sorry it took so long to get you a video...I think the guppies are PRETTY too, they tend to get overlooked or ignored sometimes here on the AC, but they really have some striking color to them...different viewing angles provide different splashes of color...the little wheel on the house used to spin with the help of an airstone, but Lauren was afraid small shrimp/snails would be harmed by it...now, we don't even use an airstone...yes, she will have a neat 20 gallon, I think she told me she wants black sand

Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    I had a danio that developed a hump but it was otherwise normal and a food pig LOL

I found my lone guppy loves picking at cucumber I sometimes put into my tank.
    Dang, I keep forgetting to try cucumber, going to definitley get some this weekend, thanks imma!...Lauren kinda gets mad at me when I laugh at "Hunchy", lol...she loves ALL of her fish, warts and all

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    I'm siding with Lauren here - don't be making fun of Hunchy!!! Poor fish will get an inferiority complex.........

My long finned zebra danio "Shortee", who had her tail bitten off, developed a slight hump as her tail grew back. It doesn't slow her down at all!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    I'm siding with Lauren here - don't be making fun of Hunchy!!! Poor fish will get an inferiority complex.........

My long finned zebra danio "Shortee", who had her tail bitten off, developed a slight hump as her tail grew back. It doesn't slow her down at all!
    LOL, I will officially cease and desist on the mean remarks toward "Hunchy"!....I believe I have told you that she always favors the fish with the little imperfections...one of the Pristella tetras, "Patch", has what looks like a slightly deformed eye, he came from the LFS with it that way, and of course he is her favorite!

Hey, we'd love to see a pic of "Shortee" if you can get him to be still long enough!
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-06-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Page 70 of 190 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast