· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 65 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just want to say that when I got my sons tank a few months ago I was in the same position as you was but only doing a fishless cycle. I just read this thread from first to last and I did the same thing. It started out as a small 10g tank and now im looking for a 30g tank for my own. kudos to Dad and Lauren for sticking with it.

0 Not allowed!
    ^^^ Yes cassperr, it is easy to get drawn into the hobby, I have found...resistance is futile...thanks for checking out my thread from beginning to end, it is neat to see so many helpful people out there willing to give their patience and time to help out with new aquarists....
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Good morning everyone.
    Been out of the loop for a few days, end of fiscal at work and doing inventory...yuck

Anyhow, I have a question on Lauren's 10 gallon cycled established tank (see sig)...In the AC30 filter, I have the sponge that came with the AC, a SMALL (about 2" x 4" x 1/4" thick) sponge that came with another little filter from a kit that I used to seed, and some BioMax that came with the AC..

I just ordered and got a box of Fluval Bio Max...I would like to add more of this to the AC30, and take out that little sponge that I used to seed, to make more room. If I were to just remove that little sponge, would I seriously affect the cycle while BB is growing on the new bio-max?...as you can see in my sig, the tank is overstocked (unexpected fry), that's why I want as much bio max in the filter that I can put without affecting the water flow.

What about just leaving that little sponge in another part of the tank for awhile (behind some deco, maybe)?

Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated, as usual!

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Taking out a small piece of sponge should not hurt the cycle to much if at all. As always you still should check the parameters daily for a few days.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you HoneyBadger1, always appreciate the help...I forgot to mention, the original bio max that came with the filter is in a mesh bag, that also came with the filter...I want to trim back some of that bag, I originally just folded it up on itself and stuffed the whole thing in there...I hope that removing part of that bag won't hurt, either...

And as far as the new bio max, just rinse well in tap water and add it to the mesh bag, correct?

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Removing a piece of the bag will not hurt anything, it's just plain "o" plastic and doesn't have much benefit other than keeping the bio-max in one place.

Bio-max is not like the sponge which hold a decent amount of bacteria but not a huge amount. Bio-max is very porous, which is why it is so good at holding huge amounts of bacteria, I may be over cautious but I think because of how porous it is it should be rinsed in dechlorinated water.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Removing a piece of the bag will not hurt anything, it's just plain "o" plastic and doesn't have much benefit other than keeping the bio-max in one place.

Bio-max is not like the sponge which hold a decent amount of bacteria but not a huge amount. Bio-max is very porous, which is why it is so good at holding huge amounts of bacteria, I may be over cautious but I think because of how porous it is it should be rinsed in dechlorinated water.
    I can do that...I believe we have some distilled water at the house, but if not, I'm doing a PWC today anyway....I could rinse the bio max in "used" tank water

Thanks again for the advice

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed w/ HB1. A little sponge clipping and a little bag removal won't harm anything. I've always rinsed new bio media under tap water and haven't had any problems. Though, it doesn't hurt to be cautious.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    ^^ Thanks sir...

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a thought, but rinsing under tap water would allow the chlorine to kill any unwanted bacteria wouldn't it? You won't have any BB on it, but who knows what else has made it a home during the manufacturing and shipping etc...

Page 65 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast