· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 180 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It could be from the ammonia/nitrites which is the likely cause of death. If your daughter saw white spots it also couldn't have been ick. Ick looks like pieces of salt appeared and is a common parasite. In the diseases forum there are several articles about treating ick.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

Awards Showcase

have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl 
    Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus 
    Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Most likely a ICH outbreak. Best method to treat it from my experience is to raise the temp to 86 degrees (do this slowly), leave it that way until you don't see any white spots for at least 7 days.

The fish probably broke out with the ich due to stress. I had a bunch of outbreaks within first few months of my 55 being set up
    Thanks Hardy85, I was wondering if it was that "ich" stuff I've read about before...what is the full name of the disease?...my daughter bought this tank as a "kit", and the heater that came with it has no adjustment on it that I can find...the directions say that the heater will "automatically" maintain a safe temperature, but I'd rather have one that we could adjust the temp on...have a feeling that is the next thing I'll be buying....

Awards Showcase

have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl 
    Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus 
    Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming View Post
    It could be from the ammonia/nitrites which is the likely cause of death. If your daughter saw white spots it also couldn't have been ick. Ick looks like pieces of salt appeared and is a common parasite. In the diseases forum there are several articles about treating ick.
    Thank you, heading to that forum now...was reading about "ich" here: http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/ich.htm

0 Not allowed!
    That article makes it seem like you should raise the temp and treat with meds.
    Both the raising the temperature and adding medication can reduce the oxygen in the water so it's best to pick one method or the other. You can also add an air stone if you don't already have one to help oxygenate the water more for the fish.
    This is the best and most comprehensive article I've seen on Ich. It was posted by Lady Hobbs awhile back in the Fish Disease section.
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    That article makes it seem like you should raise the temp and treat with meds.
    Both the raising the temperature and adding medication can reduce the oxygen in the water so it's best to pick one method or the other. You can also add an air stone if you don't already have one to help oxygenate the water more for the fish.
    This is the best and most comprehensive article I've seen on Ich. It was posted by Lady Hobbs awhile back in the Fish Disease section.
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php
    Thanks crunchyleaf...if you've followed this thread, I am in the middle of doing 50% daily water changes while waiting for my test kit to come in...advised by Hardy85 to do this to help keep the ammonia levels in check in preparation to begin "cycling"...I let Hardy know that the cheap heater that came with the tank kit is not adjustable, so I might need to buy a better heater in order to raise the temp...I want to be able to manipulate the water temp regardless...let me check the link you sent me...thanks again...I read one earlier from this forum, but not this one...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Ok that was a very informative article...Am I correct in thinking that raising the temp alone, to 86 degrees, for an extended period will destroy the ich?...or do I need to buy the salt and use it too?...I would really like to use temp only at first, if it will work to get rid of the ich. I do have a bubbler that stays on all the time.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 04-05-2013 at 04:08 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I would personally use heat alone. I had an ich outbreak in my ten gallon tank last month. I raised the temperature to 86 and then waited 8 days after I saw the last spot on the fish disappear (It was up for about 10 days over all). It went away and I haven't seen any signs of it since.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    I would personally use heat alone. I had an ich outbreak in my ten gallon tank last month. I raised the temperature to 86 and then waited 8 days after I saw the last spot on the fish disappear (It was up for about 10 days over all). It went away and I haven't seen any signs of it since.
    THANKS, that's what I am going to try...need to buy an adjustable heater...are they very expensive?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They can range from $20 to $50.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks...was looking on Amazon, there are a bunch out there...I just want an adjustable one that is appropriate for a 10 gallon tank...

Page 6 of 180 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast