· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 56 of 187 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Many tetra will breed during the rainy season of what ever country they are indigenous. In our aquariums we reproduce those conditions either on purpose or accidentally when we do a water change after a rain storm. If you have a mix of well fed male/female fish in a well maintained aquarium chances are they are going to breed eventually, whether you want them too or not.
    Understood, thanks for the great info...it only makes sense that if they are happy and healthy, the instinct to reproduce will eventually arise...kinda makes me feel good to know my work keeping the tank habitable has made the current residents relaxed and able to have a fairly happy existence.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,
    Yesterday I decided to move some of the pebbles/rocks around, and since they were going to be out of the tank for a few minutes (in tank water in a bowl), I decided to do a water change/gravel vacuum, even though I just did a PWC on Thursday. The gravel was a bit nasty, so cleaned it pretty well, with the rocks out of the way.

Everything went well until I filled the tank back up. It's gotten hot here and the tap water got the tank temp up to 82 F, I usually maintain about 79 F in the tank. The only reason I even noticed was that after filling the tank, the inhabitants went nuts...my new fry were swimming all over the place instead of semi-hiding, shrimp were free swimming everywhere, platys started hiding behind the deco, total chaos.

So I thought I might have gotten them a bit warm for what they are used to. Opened the hood lid, turned down the AC in the house, and let it sit until I went to bed.

This morning I noticed the water looked slightly cloudy, and the fish seemed a bit lethargic, so when I got home from work, I tested the water...I have trites, dang it, about .25...ammonia is 0, trates are 10 like they always are.

Of course I'm going to do a water change in a minute, but my question is should I clean the filter sponge while I'm at it?...it's been about 5 weeks since I cleaned it, but I can take a flashlight and peer at the bottom of the AC30 and see that it doesn't look too bad...just the bottom, though.

As always, I count on you guys for your great help.

M-

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    My opinion and instinct are to leave the filter alone for a few days and clean it during your next scheduled water change.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    My opinion and instinct are to leave the filter alone for a few days and clean it during your next scheduled water change.
    Thanks HB1, I can always count on you (and a few others) in a pinch.

Do you care (or have time) to elaborate on your answer?. Just the (SLIGHT) cloudiness of the water already has the python out and ready to be hooked up...and of course, the trites reading is bugging the mulm out of me

Just FYI, all of my tank community seems and are acting fine...fry are exploring further and further, the tetras are ok, platys ok, some shrimp are out and digging around, guppys playing...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    And BTW, I've gotten stuck on Thursdays for my PWC, for some reason...much rather do it on the WE's, but trying to stick to a set schedule

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Testing a small amount of nitrites in the water might mean you started a mini-cycle from either over cleaning a still newer tank, or accidentally adding water that was too warm. If that is the case you don't want to clean the filter because you are cycling the tank again and you want all the bacteria you can muster.. The good news is if it's a mini-cycle it will be over in a few days. So, do change some water now, but wait a few days on the filter.
    Being that it is Monday, now is a great time to change your water changing schedule, change some now, test each day, if needed change water and by the weekend things should be back to normal and you can start your weekend routine this weekend.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Testing a small amount of nitrites in the water might mean you started a mini-cycle from either over cleaning a still newer tank, or accidentally adding water that was too warm. If that is the case you don't want to clean the filter because you are cycling the tank again and you want all the bacteria you can muster.. The good news is if it's a mini-cycle it will be over in a few days. So, do change some water now, but wait a few days on the filter.
    Being that it is Monday, now is a great time to change your water changing schedule, change some now, test each day, if needed change water and by the weekend things should be back to normal and you can start your weekend routine this weekend.

Again, I know I can count on you to be there for me pretty much 24/7..thank you..and, believe it or not, I kind of was thinking the same thing on what to do for now as you were...

Not to sound boastful, but I think I'm starting to learn a bit about this hobby!...and having fun doing it

Lauren has already given up on this being HER tank. I think she's already resigned herself on the fact that I've taken over this little 10 gallon as practice for bigger things to come

I promise not to bother you again tonight unless a major catastrophe unfolds

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You are not bothering me, I need to relax here a bit in between work, study, and babysitting. Helps me maintain what little sanity I have left.

I think I told you a while ago you catch on quickly and it's a welcome change. I always say this hobby isn't that difficult but people make it that way. All it takes is a bit of research, thinking, and a lot of common sense.
    So now I can say you have the cutest little girls tank ever! That is often how it happens with pets, the children want them and we end up with them. lol

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You are not bothering me, I need to relax here a bit in between work, study, and babysitting. Helps me maintain what little sanity I have left.

I think I told you a while ago you catch on quickly and it's a welcome change. I always say this hobby isn't that difficult but people make it that way. All it takes is a bit of research, thinking, and a lot of common sense.
    So now I can say you have the cutest little girls tank ever! That is often how it happens with pets, the children want them and we end up with them. lol
    Thanks, you are too kind...I need to get you and everyone here some pics of the fry...they are growing so fast...there's still only 4 of them...but I swear, 3 look like tetras and 1 looks like a platy, just from the coloring and shape of them. IMO...we have extendied families in real life, why not in our aquarium?

Good night, talk to you later...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone, hope all of you here in the US of A had a great 4th...

Lifted the lid on the 10 gallon this morning to give the fish a little breakfast, and found THIS, on the inside bottom of the hood lid...WHAT THE HECK??

It is 2 masses of some kind of eggs, I'm guessing?...I thought it was some kind of foam at first, touched it and both little masses are hard, not soft or jelly-ish

Only thing I can figure is that they are from the snail(s), since they were up out of the water....What do you guys think?

BTW, I think HoneyBadger1 was correct about the origin of the fry, when she suggested we may have bought a pregnant female...the fry are looking like platys as they grow, not tetras...need to get my 40 gallon up and running maybe quicker than I thought

Page 56 of 187 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast