· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 49 of 210 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    snails can be pretty illusive sometimes - they are fascinating creatures to observe.
    have you ever fed them zucchini? my apple snails love it. I attach a slice to a veggie clip and place it low in the tank. Some times I'll see 2 of them hanging on it - one on either side, just munching away.
    If you try it, it may take them a while to find it. make sure you replace the slice at least every other day and sink a new one in the same place so they know where to look for it. Between my bristle nose pleco and the 3 snails, they go through a round every day :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 
    TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    He was practicing not being seen.
    LOL, love me some Monty Python...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 
    TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    snails can be pretty illusive sometimes - they are fascinating creatures to observe.
    have you ever fed them zucchini? my apple snails love it. I attach a slice to a veggie clip and place it low in the tank. Some times I'll see 2 of them hanging on it - one on either side, just munching away.
    If you try it, it may take them a while to find it. make sure you replace the slice at least every other day and sink a new one in the same place so they know where to look for it. Between my bristle nose pleco and the 3 snails, they go through a round every day :o)
    We LOVE watching them move over the front glass , with a magnifying glass, watching how their mouth parts move...it is so cool, I had never seen how a snail eats before..

Do you "blanch" the zucchini at all, or just slice it up and put it in?...peel-on?....my neighbor gives us zucchini and yellow squash from his garden all summer long...I love it grilled the best

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    We LOVE watching them move over the front glass , with a magnifying glass, watching how their mouth parts move...it is so cool, I had never seen how a snail eats before..

Do you "blanch" the zucchini at all, or just slice it up and put it in?...peel-on?....my neighbor gives us zucchini and yellow squash from his garden all summer long...I love it grilled the best
    I know - they are so interesting - don't know what that says about us finding snails fascinating LOL but I love watching them too.
    I put the zucchini in raw. It doesn't break down as fast that way. you'll enjoy watching them work through the middle until only a rind is left. again, just make certain you don't leave it in more than 48 hours (take it out sooner if you see it's getting mushy) and replace with a new slice (about 1/4 inch thick). If you don't have a veggie clip you can poke a fork through it and sink the fork. If you tie a string on the end of the fork handle, then it's easy to fish out :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    BTW, when we first added the Inca snail to the tank, the larger one would pursue it and do this:

Lauren gets all upset, thinking the larger black snail is attacking/trying to eat the smaller one...after googling the behavior I've observed, I'm thinking the larger snail has something else on it's mind...
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 05-22-2013 at 03:01 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    BTW, when we first added the Inca snail to the tank, the larger one would pursue it and do this:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...y7/Snails.jpeg

Lauren gets all upset, thinking the larger black snail is attacking/trying to eat the smaller one...after googling the behavior I've observed, I'm thinking the larger snail has something else on it's mind...
    LOL. I think you're right. I've seen the smaller snails riding piggy back on the larger ones too. cute.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I know - they are so interesting - don't know what that says about us finding snails fascinating LOL but I love watching them too.
    I put the zucchini in raw. It doesn't break down as fast that way. you'll enjoy watching them work through the middle until only a rind is left. again, just make certain you don't leave it in more than 48 hours (take it out sooner if you see it's getting mushy) and replace with a new slice (about 1/4 inch thick). If you don't have a veggie clip you can poke a fork through it and sink the fork. If you tie a string on the end of the fork handle, then it's easy to fish out :o)
    Great I'm going to give them a slice or two this weekend...thanks for the tips!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    OK, our RCS are due to arrive tomorrow...me and Lauren are excited to get them..

Can't remember if I've asked this yet or not...I'm thinking I need to put some sort of pre-filter over the intake end of the AC30 dip-tube to
    keep the shrimp (and any potential babies) from being sucked into the filter...and decided to use nylon panty-hose type material...had my wife buy a pair (she doesn't wear them, apparently, or I would have use some old ones) and am wondering how I'm going to keep the piece I use attached to the end of the pick-up tube...

Was thinking of just using a rubber band, at first, but don't know if that would add any chemicals to the water, and how long it would last before it broke...

Now I'm thinking maybe a small zip tie, the same diameter of the tube once tied...thinking to change out the nylon when it gets dirty, the zip tie would slide over the tapered end of the tube and "snug-up" once it reached the full diameter of the tube..

You guys think this would work?....any other suggestions?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use rubber bands on my prefilter sponges in my 90 gallon and they work well - makes it easy to take them off to rinse and reattach.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Seems they would be easier to work with, thanks fishmommie

Page 49 of 210 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast