· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 43 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ 
    TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos 
    TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Oh, and one more thing before I stop badgering you. When I bought the 120g, it sat in my living room empty for 6-8 months before I was ready to set it up. If you find a great deal you can afford on a tank, get it, the rest can come later.
    no problem, you're not 'badgering" me at all....I keep my garage and my storage shed neat and organized, plenty of room out there!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ 
    TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos 
    TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    OK, NEED EMERGENCY HELP HERE...

Did a water change, unplugged the AC30 to do it, got done, and now the filter won't come on after being plugged back in..

Any quick help greatly appreciated

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    ok, i can't suggest how to fix the filter but i can tell you to keep the sponge/media moist by pouring the tank water over it and if you have airstones keep them running until tomorrow when you can replace the filter

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    (Deep breath, panic mode to "off")

Here's what just happened...after seeing trites rise just a bit, I decided to do a water change...no big whoop, done them countless times before..

As part of my WC ritual, I turn off (unplug) the Fluval heater, the Fusion air pump, and the AC30....

Got done w/the WC, re-energized the heater and air, primed the AC30, and all was fine until the AC decided not to come on...at all...no funny noises, no water movement at all, nothing..

After considering the dilemma for a minute, and thanking myself that I saved that original "whisper" filter or whatever it was that came with the original tank kit,
    I decided to take drastic action, thinking that all the work I had put into taking care of my fish was about to be fruitless...

First, I pulled out the old filter from storage, then I got a big plastic bowl, put some tank water in it, pulled the AC30 from the tank, dunked it in the bowl, and put the biomedia from it into the old filter, which was by now hanging on the back of the tank filled with tank water...plugged it in, and let it run...all good, saved my BB and hopefully the fish...

By now, I'm super ticked off that the AC30 had failed so quickly, bought brand new a month or so ago, after all the great reviews I'd read about it...

Then I noticed how filthy the AC filter sponge is...used to be a healthy white color, now it's nasty and brown...I squeezed and cleaned it in the tank water bowl to get all of that stuff off, and now it's a clean pinkish color...

So before I contact anyone to get a refund on the filter, just for the heck of it, I quickly plugged the filter cord into a receptacle just for a second or two...and the motor spun just fine..I know not to run a pump motor dry for very long, but I had to do it a time or two just to be sure..

SO, after all of this boring story, I have a question or two:

How often do you guys clean your AquaClears, on average?...'cause I think mine was due

Could a clogged sponge really have been the reason the pump motor wasn't spinning?...bogged down that bad?

Did I read somewhere that once you do cleaning maintenance on an AC, you clean around the motor impellar too?

If you've read this much, I appreciate it, as well as any input you have...

If the AC is still "good" from what I've described, I'd like to re-install it tomorrow...

Thanks guys for any and all replies

Awards Showcase

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    ok, i can't suggest how to fix the filter but i can tell you to keep the sponge/media moist by pouring the tank water over it and if you have airstones keep them running until tomorrow when you can replace the filter

Thanks JJ, see above^^...I think I may be ok, but I appreciate your help in what I thought could be a catastrophe
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 05-16-2013 at 01:51 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    in my experience, a clogged sponge will not affect whether the motor starts or not, but keeping a sponge clean certainly contributes to a healthy aquatic environment.
    I used to clean my sponges every 2-3 weeks, but now with a sponge prefilter the sponges inside the filter barely clog and I rinse the prefilter once a week.
    aquaclears seem to have the problem of sometimes not starting when plugged in. the filter isn't broken and once you restart it it is going to be just the same.
    I find that a little nudge in a clockwise direction helps get the impeller started. prime your filter, put the intake on minimal flow setting in order to expose the impeller and use something long and
    thin like a bbq skewer or a length of airline or whatever happens to be in the proximity of your hands in that moment to give the impeller blades a nudge. after starting the filter, move the intake back to max flow setting.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    in my experience, a clogged sponge will not affect whether the motor starts or not, but keeping a sponge clean certainly contributes to a healthy aquatic environment.
    I used to clean my sponges every 2-3 weeks, but now with a sponge prefilter the sponges inside the filter barely clog and I rinse the prefilter once a week.
    aquaclears seem to have the problem of sometimes not starting when plugged in. the filter isn't broken and once you restart it it is going to be just the same.
    I find that a little nudge in a clockwise direction helps get the impeller started. prime your filter, put the intake on minimal flow setting in order to expose the impeller and use something long and
    thin like a bbq skewer or a length of airline or whatever happens to be in the proximity of your hands in that moment to give the impeller blades a nudge. after starting the filter, move the intake back to max flow setting.
    Thank you for that tip, so simple that I wished I'd thought of it sooner...I thought the motor was a goner

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tip, I have an ac30 that stopped working while I was doing a w/c and it also wouldn't start, luckily I had time to run to the lfs and pick up another. I'll give your tip a try!

Awards Showcase

Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 
    We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    When the filter wont come back on it is usually because the impeller needs cleaning. Take the assembly apart, clean the impeller and area it sits in the filter, put it all back together, fill the filter with tank water and plug in the filter. If your AC sponge was that dirty, you can assume the impeller is that dirty too.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    When the filter wont come back on it is usually because the impeller needs cleaning. Take the assembly apart, clean the impeller and area it sits in the filter, put it all back together, fill the filter with tank water and plug in the filter. If your AC sponge was that dirty, you can assume the impeller is that dirty too.
    Thanks HB1, will do...I figured the same thing, probably some muck around the impellar itself...do they make a pre-filter for the AC30, one like madagascariensis mentioned?....I guess it would fit over the slotted end of the pickup tube of the filter?

I need to start scheduling a cleaning of the filter sponge once a month or so, if I have no pre-filter...seems to me one could probably make one out of any old piece of sponge, and some sort of clip to hold it on...

Page 43 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast