· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 39 of 190 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    OK, water looks good this eve, 0/0/10, in our slightly overloaded tank, that I admit is my fault.....steady as she goes...

The original 2 survivors of the cycle (Mollie and Platy) are kind of hanging in the back bottom and top corners of the tank, I think they are ticked at me for ruining their P&Q (peace and quiet) by bringing in all the tank-mates...they seem to be fine though, all 3 platys play with the tetras, who have spread out and started to explore...

One note: I'm starting to notice a film develope on the inside of the glass, the front especially...not a dark film, it's kind of white-ish like a window that just needs a quick wipe down with Windex...not sure what it is, but the snail seems to remove it a bit when he (she?) moves over it...

Is this a form of algae?...we had one snail go AWOL, but before that the glass always seemed neat and clean, or maybe just my imagination..I know I can't add any more fish, like an oto, at this juncture, but would a few small snails increase the biolode in a big way?...

If not, what about those magnetic cleaning thingys?

Thanks for reading everyone
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    It's probably bio-film, which means your tank is aging.. that's a good thing. I usually just wipe down the inside front glass of my tanks and let the other panels grow what they will. It could also be the beginnings of algae, again just wipe it down. Glad to hear the parameters are still testing well.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    It's probably bio-film, which means your tank is aging.. that's a good thing. I usually just wipe down the inside front glass of my tanks and let the other panels grow what they will. It could also be the beginnings of algae, again just wipe it down. Glad to hear the parameters are still testing well.
    Thanks HB1, glad that film is nothing serious...hey, now that I am cycled, how big and how often should I be doing water changes?...I have not done one in some time, maybe going on a week...a WC would be a good time to wipe down the glass, I'm thinking...and how much bioload would another snail add?

As always, thanks in advance for the help...

0 Not allowed!
    Many forum members change their water once a week and do 50% at a time - water changes are good times to vacuum your substrate too & get rid of excess food/fish poop, etc.

From my understanding, snails don't add very much to bioload.

My tank got the same biofilm as yours at the beginning - it's not attractive but it's easy to clean off.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Many forum members change their water once a week and do 50% at a time - water changes are good times to vacuum your substrate too & get rid of excess food/fish poop, etc.

From my understanding, snails don't add very much to bioload.

My tank got the same biofilm as yours at the beginning - it's not attractive but it's easy to clean off.
    Perfect, thanks imma24, easy enough...yeah, I would like to give the substrate a bit of a cleaning, noticed it looked a bit dirty this a.m.

To wipe down the glass: clean cloth or paper towels will work ok?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd use a paper towel to wipe it off then discard. A clothe might have soap residue in it.
    And I agree with the suggestion to start changing out 50% of your water weekly. Keep checking your water perimeters for a bit just to make certain everything stays on track. Check them before you do your water change so you can get a feel for your nitrates. if nitrates are higher than 20ppm, then you may need to cut back on feeding a bit.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I'd use a paper towel to wipe it off then discard. A clothe might have soap residue in it.
    And I agree with the suggestion to start changing out 50% of your water weekly. Keep checking your water perimeters for a bit just to make certain everything stays on track. Check them before you do your water change so you can get a feel for your nitrates. if nitrates are higher than 20ppm, then you may need to cut back on feeding a bit.
    Thanks fishmommie, will do!

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Both snails and shrimp add minimal bio-load. You can add a snail, but shrimp will prefer a more mature tank, wait a bit on those.
    I have cichlids that want to kill my hands when I put them in the tank so I have a long handled scraper I use to clean the inside front of my tanks, but a paper towel will work just as well.
    In general, 50% once a week is a good starting point for water changes, but you still need to test the parameters to be sure it is enough and how often it needs to be done. If your nitrates climb over 40ppm every three days, then you should do a 50% water change every three days. If they climb to 40ppm every 7 days then 50% once a week is good. If they get over 40ppm, you will need to do more than 50%. I believe 40ppm is the general consensus on the highest safe level for nitrates, but I like to keep them below 20ppm.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Both snails and shrimp add minimal bio-load. You can add a snail, but shrimp will prefer a more mature tank, wait a bit on those.
    I have cichlids that want to kill my hands when I put them in the tank so I have a long handled scraper I use to clean the inside front of my tanks, but a paper towel will work just as well.
    In general, 50% once a week is a good starting point for water changes, but you still need to test the parameters to be sure it is enough and how often it needs to be done. If your nitrates climb over 40ppm every three days, then you should do a 50% water change every three days. If they climb to 40ppm every 7 days then 50% once a week is good. If they get over 40ppm, you will need to do more than 50%. I believe 40ppm is the general consensus on the highest safe level for nitrates, but I like to keep them below 20ppm.
    Thanks HB1, great info...if I'm not mistaken, the 'trate level in my tank has never been over 20, but I know it will happen eventually...

I've been doing water tests about every other day, so that sounds often enough to me for the guidelines you've provided...

Going to add a snail this W.E. , and maybe some shrimp in a few weeks...decided to go ahead and try a few grass shrimp, since they are cheap and readily available at my LFS

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Kinda bummed today...lost one of the original 2 survivors of this whole ordeal last night, the orange platy...she had been acting funny the last few days, kind of staying by herself near the surface in the back corners of the tank, or deep in the back next to the filter tube intake...

I immediately did a water test, 0/0/25-ish...the other fish seem great...no visible signs of anything wrong with the dead fish that I could see...

We were kind of partial to those 2, after all they'd been through, but I think I've done the best I could to keep her and that mollie going...it still had to be stressful with all the water changes, maybe the new fish, etc...

Page 39 of 190 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast