· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 33 of 207 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    If you are referencing African dwarf frogs, they are my favorite non fish aquarium inhabitant. They are by far the most entertaining. They prefer groups and typically inhabit the bottom of the tank, but they will also float around in the middle of then water column with all four legs and feet extended in what many call a "zen float" people say they look like they are dead, but I think it looks like water ballet. They can often be seen swimming to the surface to grab a gulp of air.

The reason they are a little high maintenance is that they don't have a food that you just drop in the top of the tank and walk away like fish do. Especially in the beginning when they are shy they have to be target fed with reptile tongs or a mixed solution administered with a turkey baster. Once they are well established in the tank and more comfortable with you they can be trained to swim to the top and take food right from your fingers, or they an be trained to eat in a specific part of the tank at a preset time of day if you are consistent with your feedings. My old adf would swim to the top and sit in my hand to eat bloodworms if I put it far enough in the tank so I didn't consider it hard to feed him after he got used to me.

They have a small bio load and do great in pairs or a group of 3 or 4.

~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and shrimp have a very low bio load so you could easily have 10 or so without a problem.
    ~Manna

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl 
    BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady 
    Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    If you are referencing African dwarf frogs, they are my favorite non fish aquarium inhabitant. They are by far the most entertaining. They prefer groups and typically inhabit the bottom of the tank, but they will also float around in the middle of then water column with all four legs and feet extended in what many call a "zen float" people say they look like they are dead, but I think it looks like water ballet. They can often be seen swimming to the surface to grab a gulp of air.

The reason they are a little high maintenance is that they don't have a food that you just drop in the top of the tank and walk away like fish do. Especially in the beginning when they are shy they have to be target fed with reptile tongs or a mixed solution administered with a turkey baster. Once they are well established in the tank and more comfortable with you they can be trained to swim to the top and take food right from your fingers, or they an be trained to eat in a specific part of the tank at a preset time of day if you are consistent with your feedings. My old adf would swim to the top and sit in my hand to eat bloodworms if I put it far enough in the tank so I didn't consider it hard to feed him after he got used to me.

They have a small bio load and do great in pairs or a group of 3 or 4.

Thanks CL!...yes, I was actually referring to the frogs, but we are very interested in shrimp too...Would it be ok to add maybe 6 neon tetras and maybe 4 frogs at once, or should I wait awhile after introducing the tetras?

0 Not allowed!
    I would add the neons first and the frogs a couple weeks later. This is not because I think the bioload would be too much at one time, but I think the frogs do best in a well established tank. Considering you just finished cycling, it may be advantageous to give it a little more time before adding the frogs for that BB to mature.

You will most likely be stocking this tank on the heavy side. That's okay, but it just means you'll need to be diligent with those once weekly water changes. I know you are a pro with that now so no problems there right? Also if you decide to go frogs I would forgo the cories.
    Last edited by CrunchyLeaf; 05-01-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    ~Manna

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl 
    BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady 
    Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I think I'm cycled

Ammonia = 0
    Nitrate = 10
    Nitrite = 0

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    I would add the neons first and the frogs a couple weeks later. This is not because I think the bioload would be too much at one time, but I think the frogs do best in a well established tank. Considering you just finished cycling, it may be advantageous to give it a little more time before adding the frogs for that BB to mature.

You will most likely be stocking this tank on the heavy side. That's okay, but it just means you'll need to be diligent with those once weekly water changes. I know you are a pro with that now so no problems there right? Also if you decide to go frogs I would forgo the cories.
    Yes, CL, I'm thinking the same thing about the stocking schedule...we're excited that we are cycled, and I was telling Lauren about the fish, shrimp, and frogs...of course she said "yes" to all the above...

She saw the link HB1 gave me about the shrimp, and she's enthralled...she wants 1 of every shrimp they sell ...explained to her how buying shrimp online works, at least for that site...and how I've never bought live animals that could be delivered to the door...it's common to buy shrimp that way?...I know about the "guaranteed live delivery" and all, just never have ordered live creatures online before!

Yes, you are correct, "heavy side" will be the stocking norm here...but not too heavy, we have to be responsible with the animals we keep (at least I think I'm teaching that concept)...now that I've been educated a bit, I don't want any of our new pets to suffer on my account...

SO, I kinda told her that in MY opinion it would be best, after we get a few fish, that we either do the frogs or the shrimp, but not both...she's leaniong toward the shrimp...which I can live with, no prob...

It is, after all, HER tank and not mine, and I want to get her what SHE wants, not me....

As far as fish go, of course, she wants something that any 13 year old would want...garish bright neon colors..."GLOFISH"...

I at first thought these had to be the "dyed" fish that we are all strictly against, but have found that these fish are gene-altered and not chemically tortured...they wre used in research, I believe...

So, this long story ends with maybe buying some "glofish", and then probably buying some shrimp a bit later..

Some of those shrimp are PRICEY, no?....for that much $, I'd rather have some shrimp in the freezer that were waiting for me to fry and eat later

Thanks for reading everyone, have a great evening!

Sorry

0 Not allowed!
    Definitely skip the glofish. They are zebra danios through and through. Too active for your tank.

If Lauren likes them all, you would be okay doing frogs and shrimp. You pay a higher price for fancier shrimp online. I have had many orders of live shrimp shipped to me and never had a DOA. Check out aquabid.com (ebay for fish) some people will sell variety shrimp packs that I've seen. You can also have a discussion with your local privately owned fish store and see if they would be willing to special order some different shrimp in for you. Another option is to watch classifieds on aquatic forums. Many people who have shrimp sell their excess on the side. All those options are usually a little less $$ than your online shrimp farm.
    ~Manna

Awards Showcase

Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 
    We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    Start out with either cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp, most LFS will sell these two types and they are on the cheaper side of things as far as shrimp go. Also keep in mind, anything that can fit them in its mouth will eat shrimp, including frogs. If you decide on the shrimp you might want to put a few more mossy or leafy type plants in the tank for them to hide in.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah that's a good call. Test some cheap shrimp in the tank before paying for expensive ones. If your molly or platy want a shrimp snack (or future frogs/fish) that's an expensive snackadoo.
    ~Manna

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Good morning CL and HB1,
    Dang, she's going to be disappointed about the glofish, she really wanted some of those...I'll just have to explain to her that they would not be happy in our small tank...

Yes, she was on that website for inverts that HB1 sent me, and she wants the "blue berry" shrimp...I told her we'd have to wait a bit for the new fish to settle in...I think we are not going to get the frogs, for now anyway...

Besides Petco and Petsmart, there is one local fish store that we have not been to yet, about 15 min. from our house, that we have not visited yet...thinking of paying them a visit Saturday...

One note...our black mollie has started to harrass the platy a bit...they both are SO much more active and playful than they used to be...but for instance when we feed them, like I did this morning, the mollie seems to rush at the platy and bump it out of the way, like it's fighting over the food...the platy will swim off, and the mollie will chase after it...this has happened more frequently lately, especially around feeding time...or maybe that's when I seem to notice it the most...Lauren's concerned the mollie is going to "bully" our new fish, but I told her I'm not sure until we get some more...she even considered getting rid of the mollie!...I can't do that, poor fish has been through a rough time

Page 33 of 207 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast