· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 27 of 187 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Just so I understand, will you need to entirely do away with the hood or could you just change out the light?

This is a critical juncture for you. Definitely take some time to think about what you want. If you think you want to eventually do a variety of live plants in your tank then you'll need to get a good plant light. If you want to just keep it simple then you could just buy a hood with a single florescent t8 bulb. That's what I have on my ten and I grow java fern, moss, anubias and some type of sword without a problem.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    Just so I understand, will you need to entirely do away with the hood or could you just change out the light?

This is a critical juncture for you. Definitely take some time to think about what you want. If you think you want to eventually do a variety of live plants in your tank then you'll need to get a good plant light. If you want to just keep it simple then you could just buy a hood with a single florescent t8 bulb. That's what I have on my ten and I grow java fern, moss, anubias and some type of sword without a problem.
    Hi CL,
    On the hood I have now, it appears that the lights are built in to it, so it seems that I would have to either get a new hood with more/different lighting, or do away with the hood altogether and get just a light, from what I've been looking at. From what I can tell, and from what I do as a profession (I'm a purchasing agent for facilities management at a local University), LED lights are taking the place of incandescents/fluorescents in all types of everyday applications...they cost more up front, but are much less expensive to operate.

As far as to have or have not a hood, I'm not certain if I need it or not, daughter seems to think it will prevent the fish from jumping out of the water (if that's possible)...in order for my AC30 filter to operate efficiently and quietly, we DO keep the water level very close to the top edge of the tank.

I WOULD like to have some live plants in the tank, have 2 now, but I'm not sure what they are...they seem ok, but don't appear to be flourishing...in an earlier post, I told you guys about my daughter buying (on her own) a pack of Aponogeton bulbs, that you supposedly just drop in, let them sprout, then move to where you want them to root...they've not done much, and have been in the tank about a week now...

Bottom line, the LED light(s) we have now seem cheap and undependable...the wiring to them actuall runs into the tank, along the underside of the hood door...I was just exploring my options...I want good dependable lighting, that at least moderately supports plant growth, and that looks nice when on...

Found this one while looking around on the web, but don't know if this brand name is a good one, or if this one is really any bteer than what we already have...the "night light" feature is kinda neat, and there are lots of positive reviews, but not quite sure: http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-LED...ght+20%22+hood

Thanks for reading!

Awards Showcase

Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Pre-water change:
    Ammonia = .25
    Nitrate = 10
    Nitrite = 2.0

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think you would be happier longterm with a glass top and separate light fixture. Some of the prefab hoods dont leave a big enough hole for a bigger filter (and they dont have a hole for a second filter either usually). I have a plant led fixture that is 35" long for a bigger tank that I like very much. It doesnt have the blue leds but all my plants are doing well. It was pricey though $100 and that was for the generic brand on ebay. If you look around there are led fixtures with 6500k or 6700k bulbs, but they are still pretty new to market so the price is still high.

I have a couple tanks with the hoods with the screw in incandescent bulbs and it seems the condensation is constantly shorting out the bulbs.

Glass tops for a 10 gallon should only cost you about $10 if you buy online (amazon is usually high though).

0 Not allowed!
    Okay so I would recommend getting a light that is good for plants. Something in the low to medium light spectrum so you can grow a good variety of plants in the low light spectrum without having to do any type of CO2 injection on your tank.

Choosing to go with a plant friendly light will cost you significantly more (in the $100 range) than getting lights that are not made for plants. There will be a wide range of options if you go this route. You can get fluorescent lights with T8, T5 or T5HO lights. These fixtures are often cheaper than LED, but you have a big expense on the bulbs themselves when you need to replace them. They are a little more flexible than LED though because you can change the bulbs out and try different ones if you aren't pleased with your lighting or plant growth.

You can also go LED which runs cooler than fluorescent and the fixtures are slimmer and lighter. They cost a little more up front, but save you the occasional need to budget for new bulbs. It's not something you can switch the bulbs out of if you don't like the way it lights your tank though.

Your daughter's concerns about jumping fish are valid. There are plenty of stories about people waking up to a dead fish on the carpet so if you decide to go with a free standing fixture (like those summarized above) you will want a glass cover. Not having a lid on the tank also increases evaporation rate. Once you're done with your cycling, you won't be doing water changes all the time so not having a lid sometimes requires you to top off a little more.

Keeping all that in mind. There are cheaper options if you want to buy a stock hood now and then foray into plants later. If you buy a hood that has lights that screw in as opposed to LEDs then you may be able to get a good low light compact fluorescent bulb to grow plants if you go that route.

I have this exact hood on my ten gallon
    http://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-Aqua...=aquarium+hood
    I got it for $15 from the discount shelf in the LFS where they throw misc items they can't sell. The nice thing about this is that it is a full hood, but the light strip on the top is removable. It has a single t8 fuorescent bulb inside. It grows java fern like crazy and the sword that I have, but my anubias doesn't grow at all. It doesn't die, but just stays the same size.

Do not pay that much for that hood though, that is a lot and I'm sure you can find it cheaper, that link was just to show you what's out there.

Sorry for the overflow of info. Once you decide what your budget is and how intense your desire to do lots of plants, I can point you to some more specific fixtures that might meet your needs.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady10Godiva View Post
    I think you would be happier longterm with a glass top and separate light fixture. Some of the prefab hoods dont leave a big enough hole for a bigger filter (and they dont have a hole for a second filter either usually). I have a plant led fixture that is 35" long for a bigger tank that I like very much. It doesnt have the blue leds but all my plants are doing well. It was pricey though $100 and that was for the generic brand on ebay. If you look around there are led fixtures with 6500k or 6700k bulbs, but they are still pretty new to market so the price is still high.

I have a couple tanks with the hoods with the screw in incandescent bulbs and it seems the condensation is constantly shorting out the bulbs.

Glass tops for a 10 gallon should only cost you about $10 if you buy online (amazon is usually high though).
    Hi LG, thanks for your input!...I appreciate it....will look into the glass tops as well...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady10Godiva View Post

Or... Check out your local glass shops/hardware stores [My local cuts glass] - I had glass tops cut for a 55G for 11$.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    Okay so I would recommend getting a light that is good for plants. Something in the low to medium light spectrum so you can grow a good variety of plants in the low light spectrum without having to do any type of CO2 injection on your tank.

Choosing to go with a plant friendly light will cost you significantly more (in the $100 range) than getting lights that are not made for plants. There will be a wide range of options if you go this route. You can get fluorescent lights with T8, T5 or T5HO lights. These fixtures are often cheaper than LED, but you have a big expense on the bulbs themselves when you need to replace them. They are a little more flexible than LED though because you can change the bulbs out and try different ones if you aren't pleased with your lighting or plant growth.

You can also go LED which runs cooler than fluorescent and the fixtures are slimmer and lighter. They cost a little more up front, but save you the occasional need to budget for new bulbs. It's not something you can switch the bulbs out of if you don't like the way it lights your tank though.

Your daughter's concerns about jumping fish are valid. There are plenty of stories about people waking up to a dead fish on the carpet so if you decide to go with a free standing fixture (like those summarized above) you will want a glass cover. Not having a lid on the tank also increases evaporation rate. Once you're done with your cycling, you won't be doing water changes all the time so not having a lid sometimes requires you to top off a little more.

Keeping all that in mind. There are cheaper options if you want to buy a stock hood now and then foray into plants later. If you buy a hood that has lights that screw in as opposed to LEDs then you may be able to get a good low light compact fluorescent bulb to grow plants if you go that route.

I have this exact hood on my ten gallon
    http://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-Aqua...=aquarium+hood
    I got it for $15 from the discount shelf in the LFS where they throw misc items they can't sell. The nice thing about this is that it is a full hood, but the light strip on the top is removable. It has a single t8 fuorescent bulb inside. It grows java fern like crazy and the sword that I have, but my anubias doesn't grow at all. It doesn't die, but just stays the same size.

Do not pay that much for that hood though, that is a lot and I'm sure you can find it cheaper, that link was just to show you what's out there.

Sorry for the overflow of info. Once you decide what your budget is and how intense your desire to do lots of plants, I can point you to some more specific fixtures that might meet your needs.
    Thank you so much CL...like I said earlier, for now would like to grow just a few plants, not going for a full planted tank just yet....I like the one in the link you provided very much, but no, will not spend almost $50 for it...Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to keep looking around a bit...I think a stock hood is waht I'm looking for...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post

Or... Check out your local glass shops/hardware stores [My local cuts glass] - I had glass tops cut for a 55G for 11$.

Wow, that's cheap...how does it fit onto the tank w/o sliding off? and waht about cut-outs for filters, etc?

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA 
    Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Hi LG, thanks for your input!...I appreciate it....will look into the glass tops as well...
    Check the manufacturer of your tank - get a glass top made by the same company. Not all glass tops fit all tanks. My tank is an Aqueon and uses their Versa Top (purchased online from Drs Foster & Smith). Marineland tanks use a different top. For a nice tight fit and to control evaporation, match the top to your tank.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 04-19-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Page 27 of 187 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast