· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 20 of 187 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    When you click on reply to thread and get to the reply screen there is a group of icons at the top of the page, click on the one that looks like a square with a tree in it and copy/paste the url of the picture you want to attach. You can also just put the image link from your photobucket in the text. If this doesn't work click on the settings at the top of the page, then click on general settings. Make sure you have images enabled in the "visible post elements" section and scroll down to the bottom of the page and where it says "convert [IMG] to [URL] in quotes, make sure you checked show images.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=justanothertank;1146316]just a question about your advice any reason the old sponge should be right ontop of the other when i had set mine up i had originally planed to squeeze the sponge before i thought oh i can stick it in their. i already had stuck the sponge + 2 bags of biomax in and just stuck it on top of the second bag (submerged) and yes i filled to the waterline of the tank like you suggested. I just ask because i have seen so many filter media setups with floss between layers or another sponge was all.

The sponge goes in first, on the bottom, under the bio media. It catches all the gunk & debris, keeping the bio media clean. The beneficial bacteria (BB) live on the bio media, not the sponge. Once her tank is cycled, she can discard the old sponge and just use the new one.

Any reason for one mesh bag vs 2 seperate ? the second bag if he orders another biomax30 comes its in own little bag already, my logic was that if and when the biomax needs to be cleaned slightly due to flow / blockage in old tank water. i can just do 1 bag now and 1 the next time i do it. That way i am not disturbing the bio materials all at once.

Why clean your bio media separately? It should be cleaned all at once, disturbing it only once. She can put all the bio media (from the original filter, what came with the new filter and any extra she needs to add for the proper height) in the mesh bag that came with the filter. It can all go together. If she orders AquaClear bio media, she can open the mesh bag it comes in and add it to the media in the bag that came with the filter. If she orders Fluval Bio Max, it comes loose - just add it to the bag.

My replies are in red.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 04-12-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    When you click on reply to thread and get to the reply screen there is a group of icons at the top of the page, click on the one that looks like a square with a tree in it and copy/paste the url of the picture you want to attach. You can also just put the image link from your photobucket in the text. If this doesn't work click on the settings at the top of the page, then click on general settings. Make sure you have images enabled in the "visible post elements" section and scroll down to the bottom of the page and where it says "convert [url] to [URL] in quotes, make sure you checked show images.
    OK, will do....I was simply saving the images to my desktop, then clicking the image icon and trying to navigate to the image and insert it into the body of the message...

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=gronlaura;1146429]
    Quote Originally Posted by justanothertank View Post
    just a question about your advice any reason the old sponge should be right ontop of the other when i had set mine up i had originally planed to squeeze the sponge before i thought oh i can stick it in their. i already had stuck the sponge + 2 bags of biomax in and just stuck it on top of the second bag (submerged) and yes i filled to the waterline of the tank like you suggested. I just ask because i have seen so many filter media setups with floss between layers or another sponge was all.

The sponge goes in first, on the bottom, under the bio media. It catches all the gunk & debris, keeping the bio media clean. The beneficial bacteria (BB) live on the bio media, not the sponge. Once her tank is cycled, she can discard the old sponge and just use the new one.

Any reason for one mesh bag vs 2 seperate ? the second bag if he orders another biomax30 comes its in own little bag already, my logic was that if and when the biomax needs to be cleaned slightly due to flow / blockage in old tank water. i can just do 1 bag now and 1 the next time i do it. That way i am not disturbing the bio materials all at once.

Why clean your bio media separately? It should be cleaned all at once, disturbing it only once. She can put all the bio media (from the original filter, what came with the new filter and any extra she needs to add for the proper height) in the mesh bag that came with the filter. It can all go together. If she orders AquaClear bio media, she can open the mesh bag it comes in and add it to the media in the bag that came with the filter. If she orders Fluval Bio Max, it comes loose - just add it to the bag.

My replies are in red.
    Thanks gronlaura, good info...hopefully I will be able to change out the filters Saturday, but not sure if i will be able to get in touch with you guys then

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=Slaphppy7;1146433]
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post

Thanks gronlaura, good info...hopefully I will be able to change out the filters Saturday, but not sure if i will be able to get in touch with you guys then
    OK, after reading I'm kind of confused...It will be awhile before I order more bio media, which will be the BioMax...

First stage is the white sponge...second is the mesh bag of the media pellets...and third is my old sponge with the BB??

Then, when I get new BioMax pellets, that bag will go on top of my old BB sponge?

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    No - first goes the new white sponge (wet it first with tank water or tap water treated with Prime) and then your original sponge. Push the new one in all the way, so it's flat against the bottom of the basket. Then put in your mesh bag with the bio media (ceramic pieces). Be sure to keep the original bio media wet, maybe use a bowl of tank water while filling the mesh bag. Add tank water to the filter compartment to get it started. That's it. If you need to add more bio media, when you get the bio max, just add in the proper amount to the mesh bag in the same way. You will have only 1 mesh bag of bio-media.
    Here is the text from my previous post:

As stated previously, just transfer your media from the original filter to the new. The sponge (old and new) goes in first (make sure it is pushed all the way down), then you can add the bio media from the original and the bio media (ceramic pieces) that came with the new filter. Don't use the carbon insert (save it - don't throw away). When you put the filter basket in the filter you want the bio media to be level with the waterfall - the bio media needs to be wet, so it should not stick up above the filter water level when the filter is running. I add Fluval Bio Max (they are larger ceramic pieces than what comes with the filter) to fill the mesh bag to the proper height. Keep the tank filled so the bottom of the filter waterfall is under the water - this gives good surface movement and aeration and quiets the sound of the waterfall.

The forum is active over the weekend, so if you need help please post.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 04-12-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    No - first goes the new white sponge (wet it first with tank water or tap water treated with Prime) and then your original sponge. Push the new one in all the way, so it's flat against the bottom of the basket. Then put in your mesh bag with the bio media (ceramic pieces). Be sure to keep the original bio media wet, maybe use a bowl of tank water while filling the mesh bag. Add tank water to the filter compartment to get it started. That's it. If you need to add more bio media, when you get the bio max, just add in the proper amount to the mesh bag in the same way. You will have only 1 mesh bag of bio-media.
    Here is the text from my previous post:

As stated previously, just transfer your media from the original filter to the new. The sponge (old and new) goes in first (make sure it is pushed all the way down), then you can add the bio media from the original and the bio media (ceramic pieces) that came with the new filter. Don't use the carbon insert (save it - don't throw away). When you put the filter basket in the filter you want the bio media to be level with the waterfall - the bio media needs to be wet, so it should not stick up above the filter water level when the filter is running. I add Fluval Bio Max (they are larger ceramic pieces than what comes with the filter) to fill the mesh bag to the proper height. Keep the tank filled so the bottom of the filter waterfall is under the water - this gives good surface movement and aeration and quiets the sound of the waterfall.

The forum is active over the weekend, so if you need help please post.
    OK thank you...I promise I'm not trying to complicate this...the instructions that came with the AC30 advise to clip off the mesh bag and cut off the excess after the ceramic pieces are in...If I do this, how could I add to it later?...maybe just fold it over instead of tying it off?

0 Not allowed!
    You won't add to it later. If the biomax that you ordered was aquaclear brand it will come with another mesh bag that you can just add in addition to the one you have. If it's a different brand you can just scatter it straight into the media compartment of the filer or put it in some clean nylons that you cut and tie off.

It actually won't hurt if you want to leave the excess on the bag you can just unclip it and add to it later.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and on the ich subject....if the spots were really only on the dead fish then I actually would doubt that you had ich. You would have likely seen spots on the fisht that were alive as well.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    .the instructions that came with the AC30 advise to clip off the mesh bag and cut off the excess after the ceramic pieces are in...If I do this, how could I add to it later?...maybe just fold it over instead of tying it off?
    It's a non-issue.. Don't worry about the excess bag for a second [& if you want to add more media to the bag later you can.]

I have never cut the extra off of an AC filter media bag [I like those bags lol & if they sold only the bags - I'd buy 'em]
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Page 20 of 187 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast