· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 187 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Hardy85...sorry to sound so naive about this stuff, but never had an aquarium before...how do I go about doing a 50% change?

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all of your patience with me in this learning process.

0 Not allowed!
    Its ok, we've all been there.

Few ways really, eventually you with want to invest in one of these (either used or new, or even DIY)
    http://www.petco.com/product/2762/Py...er=52387045552

It hooks to the sink and makes it very easy, there are DIY versions of these out there too

-To do a good water change without any special tools, just scope or siphon out 50% of the water into buckets etc
    -Add in enough of a dechlorinator to treat the entire tank, so with a 10 gallon tank, if you do 50% water change, add enough dechlor to treat 10 gallons, not just 5
    -Add water back in gently, as to not slam the water into the fish, I used to set the cup in on an angle and slowly dump it out

The reason the siphons or gravel vacs are good is because if you don't clean the gravel it can lead to issues. I don't clean my gravel often, but only b/c I have a heavy planted tank that can absorb the wastes. For now though just change the water out, and get a gravel vac or something next time your out (or order offline to save a few $)

0 Not allowed!
    BTW on a quick side note:

to do a DIY version of that you will need:
    1. Water bed filler - 1ea
    2. A 3/4" Ball Valve (try for plastic) - 1 ea
    3. 3/4" tubing (home depot like $.50/ft) - as much as you need from sink to tank + 10ft
    4. Stainless steal round clamps - around 5 ea
    5. Adapter from 3/4" tubing to 3/4" hose fitting (F)
    6. Buy a premade gravel vac tube (just tube and a little hose), tried to find this piece used on craigslist or ebay

Just end up being like half price total by the time you are done

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    AWESOME, thank you so much Hardy85 for the excellant help...Lauren (my daughter) thanks you too!

Matt

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quick note on the DIY water changer, I made one from cheep garden hose, a water bed fill/drain kit and a piece to shut the flow off (forgot what its called but its standard on garden hoses). After that you just need what ever adapters to fit your faucet. I ran the hottest water I could through the hose for roughly a hour a day for a few weeks before I used it to try and get rid of any chemicals in the hose and I've been using it for two months with no problems. The whole set up cost me 15 bucks vs the 50 or 60 for a python even if it doesn't work as well it cost a lot less.

Never mind lol Hardy beat me to it!
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    Winning <-should be the muhammad ali dance lol

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about &quot;trolls&quot; first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    LOL....went ahead and ordered the Python from Amazon ($40), and will let Lauren know that she has a few more chores to do around here to make up for it :)...thanks guys for the homemade siphon tips, but I'm not much of a DIY-er....until the kit comes, I will start doing the 50% water change the manual way, daily, per Hardy85's instructions...

This is a great forum with great help...

After we get our tank environment fish-friendly again, I'll be asking more questions about what other types of fish we can add that will play well together...

Thanks so much again to all...

Matt

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about &quot;trolls&quot; first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Its ok, we've all been there.

Few ways really, eventually you with want to invest in one of these (either used or new, or even DIY)
    http://www.petco.com/product/2762/Py...er=52387045552

It hooks to the sink and makes it very easy, there are DIY versions of these out there too

-To do a good water change without any special tools, just scope or siphon out 50% of the water into buckets etc
    -Add in enough of a dechlorinator to treat the entire tank, so with a 10 gallon tank, if you do 50% water change, add enough dechlor to treat 10 gallons, not just 5
    -Add water back in gently, as to not slam the water into the fish, I used to set the cup in on an angle and slowly dump it out

The reason the siphons or gravel vacs are good is because if you don't clean the gravel it can lead to issues. I don't clean my gravel often, but only b/c I have a heavy planted tank that can absorb the wastes. For now though just change the water out, and get a gravel vac or something next time your out (or order offline to save a few $)
    Hey Hardy, real quick, add the de-chlorinator to the fresh water or the 50% tank water that's left after scoping?

0 Not allowed!
    Ouch. I would not have purchased a python for a 10 gallon tank. If you had something like 40 gallons or several tanks, then sure, but how hard is it to draw out a pail of water from a 10 gallon.
    Slow down there dad. Now ya gotta go buy a 55 gallon!

Page 2 of 187 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast