· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 19 of 105 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Let me re-test to be sure

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrite test still showed high levels, did a 75% water change, will re-test tomorrow

0 Not allowed!
    WHAT THE HECK?...why did my nitrite levels shoot up so quickly and so high?...wondering what I've done wrong

The only changes I've made is slowly increasing the temp to 86 to ensure I have no "ick"...

Ths fish seem ravenous lately, so I fed them twice yesterday...maybe overfed?

I checked the fish and snails this morning before I came to work, and they seem fine...did not feed this morning

Of course will test the water when I get home from work...

Haven't tested the tap water in awhile, maybe that's the culprit?

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Turning up the temperature will also speed up the growth of bacteria. This could be why the nitrite levels are rising quickly but not a definite answer. People keep telling you the fish have ich but I don't recall you ever confirming this and I didn't go back to read so I am asking again. Are you sure there is/was ich in the tank? I remember something about white patches or spots, but that doesn't always mean ich. Ich looks like grains of salt on the fish, is this what was seen on the dead fish, or was it white patches?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Turning up the temperature will also speed up the growth of bacteria. This could be why the nitrite levels are rising quickly but not a definite answer. People keep telling you the fish have ich but I don't recall you ever confirming this and I didn't go back to read so I am asking again. Are you sure there is/was ich in the tank? I remember something about white patches or spots, but that doesn't always mean ich. Ich looks like grains of salt on the fish, is this what was seen on the dead fish, or was it white patches?
    Good morning HB1, thanks for the quick reply...

To be perfectly honest, I never saw the fish that died, my wife and daughter disposed of them before I got home...we had bought 5 neon tetras to surprise my daughter for Easter...they are they ones that did not last long, and my daughter told me that they had "white spots" on them...I had heard of ick before, and maybe assumed too quickly that this was the case with the fish die-off...

So to answer your question, NO, I am not sure ick was ever the problem in the first place...another poster on here suggested I go ahead and slowly increase the temp up to 86 to be sure that if it WERE ick, that it's life cycle would be broken...

As a side note, the 2 remaining fish have never had any signs of the disease

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I am the one who recommended raising the temperature if the OP was 100% sure what he had seen on the fish was ich, because that will only get worse and worse if it isn't treated.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    If it was ich then raising the temperature is the thing to do. But as with all illness or disease you need to be certain what you are dealing with before beginning treatment. Here is a picture of a fish with ich, show it to your family when you get home and see if this is what they saw. This fish has a pretty severe case, your fish may not have had this many spots, the thing to pay attention to here is if the spots your fish did have looked like grains of salt like on this fish, not the amount of spots.

ich.gif

If it looked like any of these (sorry for the gross pictures) it wasn't ich.

c.jpg

51_Copy_of_Columnaris_2.jpg

tigerfungus.jpg

The white spots or patches could have been a thickening of the slime coat caused by irritants in the water since the tank wasn't cycled, might have been loss of color due to stress, or it could have been caused by the other fish nibbling on the dying or dead fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    Yeah I am the one who recommended raising the temperature if the OP was 100% sure what he had seen on the fish was ich, because that will only get worse and worse if it isn't treated.
    CL I appreciate the help, as always...it is my responsibilty to make sure of the diagnosis of "ick", and I think I may have jumped to that conclusion without being positive...

So, when I get home this evening (if 5 o' clock ever gets here!), should I go ahead and slowly back down to 78?...will definately test the water and do a change...The higher the nitrite, the more water I should change, is this basically correct?

Thanks guys...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    If it was ich then raising the temperature is the thing to do. But as with all illness or disease you need to be certain what you are dealing with before beginning treatment. Here is a picture of a fish with ich, show it to your family when you get home and see if this is what they saw. This fish has a pretty severe case, your fish may not have had this many spots, the thing to pay attention to here is if the spots your fish did have looked like grains of salt like on this fish, not the amount of spots.

ich.gif

If it looked like any of these (sorry for the gross pictures) it wasn't ich.

c.jpg

51_Copy_of_Columnaris_2.jpg

tigerfungus.jpg

The white spots or patches could have been a thickening of the slime coat caused by irritants in the water since the tank wasn't cycled, might have been loss of color due to stress, or it could have been caused by the other fish nibbling on the dying or dead fish.
    Thanks HB1, I will show those to them when I get home...

BTW, is there something special you have to do to post pics within these threads?...I have tried several times, but keep getting error messages

0 Not allowed!
    So, just trying to learn here:

If a person is CERTAIN that they had a case of "ick", raising the temperature is one method of breaking it's life cycle...

But if raising the temp contributes to faster bacteria growth, then a rise in nitrite level is expected, correct?

If so, in that case, how would you maintain a higher temp AND a lower nitrite count, at the same time?

Just curious and trying to learn.

Page 19 of 105 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast