· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 17 of 178 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry that was kinda disjointed. I 'replied' while reading the other posts. Glad you're making such good progress. These folks are a godsend, But I keep seeing Craigslist deals that I wish I had the room for...but my local paper's classified came up with a 29 gallon set for a song. So keep searching. Wonderful addiction
    Last edited by Mommabear; 04-11-2013 at 03:12 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    we're sticking b/c you care and are doing a good job at making things correct. so props to you!

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to feeding.
    (i feed every other day) but i'll feed before a water change.

Prime is a great product, you'll be happy with that.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm trying to feed everyday..but mine 'beg'. I have gone to dropping a cucumber or squash slice in on the off days.

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    we're sticking b/c you care and are doing a good job at making things correct. so props to you!

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to feeding.
    (i feed every other day) but i'll feed before a water change.

Prime is a great product, you'll be happy with that.
    Thanks mizzoutank....Me and my daughter are having fun with it, and it is a great "bonding" hobby as well...

I look forward to taking care of the tank, learning from it, and sharing the experience with my daughter as well as my new friends here :)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    semi offtopic :D , but ive been feeding my 12 long fined black skirt tetra's 5 times a day ( i read 3-5 times a day is suggested for them ) mostly flake and freeze dried bloodworms / brine shrimp as treat, as much as they can eat in ~50 seconds (nothing hits the bottom it gets destroyed) as a result they have colored up immensely and still getting color. May have to get some tetra color stuff was just using normal large flakes.

"Good guess...we're down to once a day minimal feeding, and for some reason I thought it best to give them a bit of food before the water change...only tested the tap water a couple of times, but both showed ammonia @ 1 ppm and nitrates @ 0

Used the Seachums Prime, first time, for the water change...curious to see what the ammonia level reads tomorrow

Thanks for sticking with me...

Might not get a chance to change out the filter until Saturday...

"

well if your not doing it until saturyda that gives you time to figure out the order your doing your filter media in and time to grab another bag of biomax and or some filter floss . Chain pet stores may have it and you only need to buy it once, ive heard of people here using it for 10 years *gasp*. seachem prime is defiantly great stuff get your self lil measuring spoon a 250ml or 500ml bottle last a long time. I am actually going to get myself a new bottle my 250 ml bottle is finally dwindling down from setting up both the 20 and 10 gallon tank i have going, going to get myself the 500ml bottle :D.
    Last edited by justanothertank; 04-11-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Just a note, Prime will detoxify ammonia for 24-48 hours but not remove it. It gives the bio-filter enough time to convert ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate, but as far as I know using Prime will not affect the test results.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yes that's right. I had forgotten that is why you got the new heater in the first place. If you are 100% sure that it was ick, then it won't go away on its own, after feeding on the fish for a few days it drops into the substrate where it multiplies and then attaches to the fish again.

You will most likely see spots show up on the fish again within the week if the ick has already reproduced. It will be many more than you saw the first time. Raising the heat will speed up the life cycle of the ick and when the spots disappear again they will be unable to reproduce at 86 degrees and will die off.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Grats on your test values changing!! Nitrates are a very positive sign. Your cycle is chugging along. Your diligence will pay off. One thing to start doing is think about what you want the stocking for this tank to look like once you are cycled. Start reading up on and researching fish that you and your daughter are interested in. That gives you something fun to do while you wait out the cycle, then you can carefully plan how many and in what order you can add them to keep your cycle stable.

With this being a ten gallon and considering that you already have the platy and molly your options will be a little limited, but it's definitely something to kill time while you wait out the cycle.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by justanothertank View Post
    semi offtopic :D , but ive been feeding my 12 long fined black skirt tetra's 5 times a day ( i read 3-5 times a day is suggested for them ) mostly flake and freeze dried bloodworms / brine shrimp as treat, as much as they can eat in ~50 seconds (nothing hits the bottom it gets destroyed) as a result they have colored up immensely and still getting color. May have to get some tetra color stuff was just using normal large flakes.

"Good guess...we're down to once a day minimal feeding, and for some reason I thought it best to give them a bit of food before the water change...only tested the tap water a couple of times, but both showed ammonia @ 1 ppm and nitrates @ 0

Used the Seachums Prime, first time, for the water change...curious to see what the ammonia level reads tomorrow

Thanks for sticking with me...

Might not get a chance to change out the filter until Saturday...

"

well if your not doing it until saturyda that gives you time to figure out the order your doing your filter media in and time to grab another bag of biomax and or some filter floss . Chain pet stores may have it and you only need to buy it once, ive heard of people here using it for 10 years *gasp*. seachem prime is defiantly great stuff get your self lil measuring spoon a 250ml or 500ml bottle last a long time. I am actually going to get myself a new bottle my 250 ml bottle is finally dwindling down from setting up both the 20 and 10 gallon tank i have going, going to get myself the 500ml bottle :D.
    Good morning jat,

Thanks for even more useful info...I need to get some of those bloodworms, they sound tasty :)...the dry ones are ok to use?...yes, I need to get a little spoon for the Prime, bought the 500 for myself...

Hey, here's a page from Amazon with a bunch of different Biomax products...which one would you get in my situation?...as always, thanks in advance

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s%2Ck%3Abiomax

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Just a note, Prime will detoxify ammonia for 24-48 hours but not remove it. It gives the bio-filter enough time to convert ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate, but as far as I know using Prime will not affect the test results.
    Noted HB1, thanks for that tip...

Page 17 of 178 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast