· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 11 of 204 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1st ?=make sure you shake the bottles prior to testing and then the vials like your life depends on it. the better you mix up what has settled in the bottle-the more accurate your test result (ex: nitrates, not shaking...reads 0, after shaking reads 20ppm which is correct)

2nd ?=that's partially why the fist started to die was removing that filter media.
    you are still cycling the tank-so we can't recommend you remove it and rinse it in OLD tank water (key to not kill all your BB-use old tank water)

try to cut feeding to once a day or every other day. I feed mine every other day with bloodworm snacks on their off day.

but the smell is probably built up waste in the filter from over feeding.

I didn't catch your current filtration-but make sure you are filtering 2x the tank size...this will also help with smell because you are filtered properly.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Hi mizzoutank, Thanks for all the good info...first of all, in the manual that came with the test kit doesn't mention shaking some of the solutions (like the Nitrite) before adding to the test tube, they just mention shaking after the mixture is IN the test tube...should I shake them all before adding?

I've already cut back on the feeding to just once a day, and not giving very much food when we do....after all, there's only 2 fish left...my daughter bought all kinds of food, don't know that we need them all or want them all...they are TetraMin Tropical Crisps, TetraMin Tropical Flakes, Aqueon Beta Food (?), and some kind of Sinking Wafers for bottom feeding fish (?)

The filter is a "Whisper 10 Power Filter", it sits up on the top of the tank in the back, with a dip-tube down in the water...

This filter came as a kit with the tank, and if the "10" in the name of the filter refers to the tank size, then this this filter does NOT filter 2x the water, correct?

Thanks again for the help

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    OK, ammonia was 1 ppm and nitrites was 0....this may be a dumb question, but when the testing call for letting the solution sit for 5 minutes, should the tubes sit capped or uncapped?...does it matter?

I always let mine sit capped - I don't know if it matters but it's just easier to sit them down on something with the cap still on.

Another question about the filter...it is beginning to have an odor, just slightly right now....but when she first got the tank, after a while it smelled pretty strongly...that's when my wife, not knowing what she was doing, changed out the filter media to a new one...that took care of the smell, all right...and most of the fish died soon after that...is a smell normal, will it always have a smell, or is the smell a bad sign?

When my tank was initially cycling, I also smelled something I didn't like - I started thinking it was ammonia - things in my tank started having this white stuff cover them. Turns out it was just a "tank smell" - don't forget, the tank is supporting living things with organic processes going on all the time - it's not going to smell like tap water.

Thanks guys!
    Please see my responses : )
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks imma24!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi mizzoutank, Thanks for all the good info...first of all, in the manual that came with the test kit doesn't mention shaking some of the solutions (like the Nitrite) before adding to the test tube, they just mention shaking after the mixture is IN the test tube...should I shake them all before adding?

Yes, you follow what the instructions say - only shake what you're supposed to shake : )

I've already cut back on the feeding to just once a day, and not giving very much food when we do....after all, there's only 2 fish left...my daughter bought all kinds of food, don't know that we need them all or want them all...they are TetraMin Tropical Crisps, TetraMin Tropical Flakes, Aqueon Beta Food (?), and some kind of Sinking Wafers for bottom feeding fish (?)

Most of the "popular" brands aren't very nutritious overall - there are brands recommended here that forum members use such as Hikari and there is also frozen food that fish enjoy. Fish benefit from variety.The filter is a "Whisper 10 Power Filter", it sits up on the top of the tank in the back, with a dip-tube down in the water...

This filter came as a kit with the tank, and if the "10" in the name of the filter refers to the tank size, then this this filter does NOT filter 2x the water, correct?

Usually filters that come with kits aren't adequate for a stocked tank - we usually advise to either upgrade to a larger filter that is for at least double the size of the tank, or add a 2nd filter if possible - so a 10gal will need 20+ gallons.

Thanks again for the help
    See above ; ) - you are very good about your questions!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the very good answers too!...and suggestions on what new filter I should get?...I guess I need a 20 gallon one, but there are many types of filter set-ups from what little I've looked at, and not sure what works best (or easiest!) for a newbie...does brand name matter much when buying a filter?

Plus, just realized, when I replace it, I will have to start all over getting the water right for the fish...no big deal though, I'm kinda having fun with it...

BTW, I have to add, that Python hose makes a ton of difference when it comes to doing water changes....makes it so much easier...I think Hardy recommended it to me, but THANK YOU to whoever did...

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the very good answers too!...and suggestions on what new filter I should get?...I guess I need a 20 gallon one, but there are many types of filter set-ups from what little I've looked at, and not sure what works best (or easiest!) for a newbie...does brand name matter much when buying a filter?

Plus, just realized, when I replace it, I will have to start all over getting the water right for the fish...no big deal though, I'm kinda having fun with it...

BTW, I have to add, that Python hose makes a ton of difference when it comes to doing water changes....makes it so much easier...I think Hardy recommended it to me, but THANK YOU to whoever did...
    i would get a aquaclear brand filter :) http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-20-P.../dp/B000260FVG and replace the second stage of the filter tray which normally for chemical filtration (carbon usually). with another stage of biomax or someone else might suggest something.
    Last edited by justanothertank; 04-07-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, gonna take a look at it now.....

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    That filter looks good to me....lots of good reviews and it's cheaper than I was expecting...EASE OF USE is what I'm looking for....I understand from one of the reviews that you can use different filter media on this filter (?)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That filter looks good to me....lots of good reviews and it's cheaper than I was expecting...EASE OF USE is what I'm looking for....I understand from one of the reviews that you can use different filter media on this filter (?)
    yeah it has alot more room comes with a tray, from bottom to top it goes. mechanical (the sponge it comes with ) - chemical (they give you a bag of carbon id just save this for if you ever have to remove meds from the tank ) - biological (they give you a bag of biomax) . I recently got a aquaclear 50 love the thing easy to clean / do maintenance on when you need like every month or so. most people here feel carbon is only handy for removing meds after treating a tank. So people replace that stage with either more mechanical or biological filtration. when you get the new filter in, you can stick your old sponge in between one of the stages to save all beneficial bacteria you grew in the old filter on the sponge. i went with 1 extra stage of biomax where the chemical filtration normally goes. i may add some filter floss between the two bags of biomax for extra filtration in the future next time i do a filter cleaning. as you can see in the picture of it you have lots of room for custom filter media options. i am not super experienced with this but i am sure other people here could make suggestions on filter media or you can check out some other threads on the forum here. oh one last thing carbon after a month or so needs to be replaced which is another reason people don't use it. once your completely cycled a weekly partial water change will be enough. biomax pretty much never goes bad seen people using the same stuff for like 10 years can just use some old tank water on it to rinse it a bit when you need to during a partial water change. same with the sponge you can can just squeeze (gently) it out. that filter maintenance wouldn't need to be preformed until you were finished cycling completely
    Last edited by justanothertank; 04-07-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Page 11 of 204 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast