· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 180 1231151101 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl 
    Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus 
    Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default Trying to help daughter with new aquarium and dying fish

0 Not allowed!
    Hello to all,
    I am new to this site and forum, so please forgive any lack of knowlege about the forums...My daughter saved her money and bought a new 10 gallon aquarium from Petco...I must admit, I did not help with the set-up...she was so excited to get it ready for fish, she set it up herself from the directions given....it uses a Whisper power filter and recently we added an aerator (not sure what kind)...

She bought some mollies and tetras, a sucker fish and some snails, and 2 plants....and all was fine for a week or two...then the water started to cloud, and her mother changed out the filter cartridge a time or two to help clear the water...now I'm reading on the site about "cycling" the water, and I believe we are doing this wrong or not at all, as the fish are dying off quickly...

I guess what I'm asking is maybe one of the members here can point me in the right direction, via links within or without this forum, to very basic information for beginners on setting up and maintaining a 10 gallon tank....

Any help greatly appreciated,

Matt

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

This will help you understanding cycling with fish.

Cycling involves growing bacteria in the filter to help break down fish ammonia (from their waste) - the last thing you want to do while cycling is get rid of the filter cartridge because that's where the bacteria grows.

Until that bacteria grows, ammonia will build up in the water until you take it out (and dilute it) with water changes.

In order to cycle you need to get a test kit (unless you have one - a liquid one, not test strips) and a water siphon to remove water from the tank. The "sticky" I provided will tell you what to do!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Ok,

If you can take the fish back, or rehome them
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

If not

Few tips:
    -Even if the filter instructions say to change out the filter, never do that. Bacteria that if for the cycle grows there, and by changing the filter you throw out the bacteria. If it gets clogged, rinse it in used tank water in a bucket (never tap water), if it starts to fall apart, put as much of it as you can into a new filter, and leave it for a bit.
    -Go buy a API Freshwater Master test kit ($25), this is a must for starting a new tank
    -You most likely have a pleco as a "suckerfish" these get huge and outgrow most tanks quickly, return it or give it away. Tank that size a few otos or snails will clean up some algae (don't bring these guys in for awhile)
    -That brings me to my next point, no matter what the store says, fish aren't meant as "cleanup crews", some fish will eat leftover food, but none will eat other fish poop. It is the humans responsibility to clean the tank (gravel and walls), also, if you have algae, try to determine the cause before just buying an algae eater type of fish

It is great that your daughter wants to get into the hobby, with a little bit of quick research you can step in and save the day. It will take a little bit of time and money, but once you learn the ropes it will be fine

Awards Showcase

have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl 
    Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus 
    Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp View Post

This will help you understanding cycling with fish.

Cycling involves growing bacteria in the filter to help break down fish ammonia (from their waste) - the last thing you want to do while cycling is get rid of the filter cartridge because that's where the bacteria grows.

Until that bacteria grows, ammonia will build up in the water until you take it out (and dilute it) with water changes.

In order to cycle you need to get a test kit (unless you have one - a liquid one, not test strips) and a water siphon to remove water from the tank. The "sticky" I provided will tell you what to do!
    Thank you so much for the quick reply...all we have to test are those strips, will buy the liquid one soon....I will study the info in the sticky you provided, and hopefully get things back on track...we really do enjoy the aquarium and would like to maintain it properly...thanks again!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for your quick reply...I will study the info in the links you provided....first off, we need to get that test kit you mention....so far, we have no evidence of algae, just cloudy water....thanks for the info about the "suckerfish" ...we really enjoy the fish and want to maintain the aquarium correctly....

Now, I have some reading to do...will keep you and andreahp updated on our progress...thanks again!

0 Not allowed!
    I see several things wrong. First, the tank was not cycled, as others here remarked on.

Also, no bottom feeders should go in a tank not yet cycled. If this is a sucker fish, it probably is a pleco that grow to one foot and they will starve to death in a new tank.

And third is the purchase of plants. They are great in a fish tank but also require proper lights from growing. It is good to do some reading before jumping into this hobby but this is often what happens. There is a bit more to keeping fish than tossing them in water. LOL We all learn this the hard way.

Links below on cycling. Good luck.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Lady Hobbs....Yes, I believe we have NEVER cylced to begin with...am wondering if we should sacrifice the three poor remaining mollies that are still alive and start over?....

Getting some good replies here, but haven't had a chance to catch up and read the links you guys have given me yet....

I know this can't be rocket science, but getting a bit overwelmed with what I need to do and how to do it...

Thanks again, will keep you guys posted

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I would think Petco would take the mollies back.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I will check...just ordered the test kit from Amazon, will be here in a few days...will post when I first test....so in the meantime, should I do anything to the tank, or leave it be for now?...the water is cloudy, but the remaining mollies seem to be doing ok

0 Not allowed!
    Do a 50% water change daily. This will keep things stable for the time being and keep the fish healthy