· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Hard water and high pH.

0 Not allowed!
    I first came here for advice a couple of years ago when we first obtained our 50g tank. After days of reading up on this and that, I'm back.

In some ways all of my research has helped tremendously and in other ways, I think I'm more confused lol. Either way, I'll get on with it!

As stated, we have a 50g tank, we've had it for a couple of years now. All is well, except for losing most of our fish after having a house fire a couple of months back and the pH.

I recently learned that the pH can't easily be lowered to 7.0 like we need due to our water being very hard. After research, we decided to try blackwater extract, it hasn't much helped, but we added it to the tank yesterday.

During all of my reading, I noticed that some fish actually prefer higher pH. I got to thinking that maybe, it might be smarter to go with fish that prefer higher pH than to drastically tamper with our water.

Any thoughts or maybe suggestions to get the pH down?

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Finding fish that do well in the water you have is always easiest and a 50g gives you plenty of options. African cichlids are the obvious choice. If you really want to lower the pH you have to deal with the GH of the tank. A good RO water system is the easiest way.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We have a simmler problem my water is usually 7.4-7.6 ph and a little hard. But my local petco and petsmart have the same water as i do. It is diffcult do lower water ph. The best way i know would be to invest in a Ro water unit.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    read sitcky at top of a section for good info

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was actually considering moving our one lone zebra danio and 2 ghost shrimp to a smaller tank. Then turning our 50g into a cichlid tank. However, I have no experience with cichlids.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Because you have hard water you will want to get African cichlids. Very basic advice is stick to species from the same rift lake and set up the decor for the fish, some want open water some want rocks. Pick some you like and bring the list here and some of our people with rift lake species experience can help you decide on final stocking choices. With Africans it's important to have the tank ready to house the entire all at once. This is done by using ammonia to build up a good size bio-filter. Here is a list of some of the fish available in the hobby separated by lake, click on the fish and most will have a picture. http://www.davesfish.com/ Here is another link that will give you specific suggestions that will work for a tank like yours,http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php Keep in mind though that just because they are from the same lake does not necessarily make them compatible. Let us know what you want and we will help you along.
    Last edited by mommy1; 04-12-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    You'll want to check the footprint of your tank before looking at specific cichlids - a 55gal/48" length is generally the smallest you can do full sized cichlids in. Yours is a 50 and if its a short tank, then you will have to take that into consideration when choosing which cichlids you want.

My 50 gal is only 30", and I would not stock any peacocks or similiar sized cichlids in it.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 04-12-2014 at 07:30 PM.
    20gal long planted community

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Our tank is 48" long. Thanks mommy1, I will get to reading!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    You would do great to have an all male Peacock tank... aulonocara are easy, stay small (4in) and are pretty docile when it comes to overall attitude in the african cichlid world. Also - the most important part - they are BEAUTIFUL. I would suggest getting a good cycle going back on your filter and making one bulk purchase of multiple 2in fish. You will get the most bang for your buck and you will allow them to grow with the tank. In a 55 gal tank with the propper filters (300-350gph) you could house a male group of 15 to 20 peacocks as they require overstocking to limit aggression.

Feel free to google aulonocara in images... you will see why this is a wonderful choice for yourself.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh one place I would highly recommend - KGTropicals.com - hes very good about getting you males even at a very small size and has a great rep for customer service, prices are fair and he will always send you the biggest in the batch.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was looking at cichlids earlier and fell in love with the "colbalt blue zebra cichlid". They're beautiful. Would they be suitable? And what could be stocked with them?