· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Right GPH And Filter Options For Fancy Goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all, great forum, i found lots of question already answered and learned sooo much!
    I’m planning about an aquarium with 1 to 3 fancy goldfish.

I read that I’ve to count 20 gallons for the first goldfish, and other 10 for each additional goldfish. I also read that I’ll need to filter the whole tank x10 times each hour. Finally, I read about the “never too much filtration” versus “you can have too much current” guidelines.

All that means:

1 fancy goldfish - 40 gallons - 400 GPH filter
    2 fancy goldfish - 60 gallons - 600 GPH filter
    3 fancy goldfish - 80 gallons - 800 GPH filter

My Problem is that, whichever one I’ll choose, I can’t put the aquarium in its own stand, but I’ll have to choose some existing (sturdy) furniture (small apartment).

That means that, if I choose a canister filter, it will be placed on the same surface, on the side of the tank. I read that one can do that as long as it’s under the water level. That can be a problem, as the biggest GPH are quite big (I’ve looked at eheim classic in first place) and they can reach the height of the tank (the plastic pipes should make an “S” from the end of the Lily Pipe up to the canister)

On the other hand, if I ‘surrend’ to an hang on filters (like, for example, the Hagen Aquaclear) I’ll have not ‘placement’ problems, but I’ll be unable to use Lily Pipes that, in the case of the “spiral/spin” model or the “round cup” model, can considerably reduce the output flow (I’ve also seen some ideas to reduce flow in Aquaclear models, but to me they appear very unaesthetic, plus I’m not a big fan of DIY). On top of that, I got this idea that canister are better, and I dunno if an hang on filter while having the right GPH, can do the "goldfish job”.

QUESTIONS:

are my premises correct?
    can I lower the GPH?
    can I have the canister on the side with “S” piping?
    or can hang on filters do well “the goldfish job”?
    will the current from hang on filter of correct GPH will be too much?

Thank you for your attention till here, and for the time for your answer if you please! - a very excited Aquarist Wannabe

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I used 2 x fluval 303 canisters, equivalent to an eheim 2215, for a 60g. Submerge the spray bars, and have it tilted up to the surface at 45 degree angle. I had the bars positioned to point towards the front of the tank. The current was not an issue for the 6 fancy GF (back in the 98 folks said 10g per GF) that I had at the time. If the current is too much for your liking remove the spray bar and see if it gets reduced. There's an Eheim double tap connector that you could buy for the classic and put on the output of the classic eheim to reduce the flow.

http://www.amazon.com/Eheim-AEH40054...+tap+connector

Make sure to get the right size.

Go for the canisters since they can hold more bio-media, which is good for high waste output fish like GF.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-14-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Will you need a heaters? If so, an inline heater used with a canister must be in a vertical position, not horizontal.

Also, most furniture will not properly support the weight of an aquarium - 40 gal is 400-480 lbs, 60 gal is 600-720, 80 gal is 800-960. Can you remove a furniture piece to make room for the stand?
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, in an attempt of thinking in gallons (I think in liters) i did a mistake of conversion.
    Correct values are 20g(200GPH) +10g(300GPH) +10g(400GPH).

@ Rocksor
    Thank you! So, you think it's feasible. But you're talking about canister placed on the same surface, on the side of the tank? For me is either that or smaller canister (less than 10x GPH).

@ gronlaura
    No, I dont need a heater for goldfish, and the forniture is sturdy enought. Thanks :)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The canister would be below the tank or right beside it, whichever you prefer, just as long as it is still lower than the water's surface. It relies on gravity to feed it from the bottom for the eheim classic.

I wouldn't worry about gph as much, a simpler method is to get a canister rated for twice the aquarium size. For instance, for a 40 us gallon tank, get a single canister rated for a 80 us gallon tank or get 2 canisters rated for a 40 us gallon tank.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @ Rocksor thank you! I heard that two filters is not the same as a bigger one becouse it's like that you dont' know if they will filter "the same half of water" or something like that. In top of that space iusses are easied a bit but not really solved doublig the filters. Anyway I think I've figured this out...

Ok, lot of self research and a bit of compromise with reality and space issues.

This will be the setup:

2 fancy goldfish

ADA 'bare' glass tank
    60 x 45 x 45 cm (about 24 x 18 x 18 inches)
    121,5 liters (about 32 gallons)

Eheim classic canister filter
    model 600 id 2217
    x 1000 liters per hour (about 264 GPH)
    Height 40 cm (about 16 inches)
    Diameter 20,5 cm (about 8 inches)

Thank all.