· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: A PH Question

1. Default A PH Question

0 Not allowed!
    Today is the completion of my 3rd week of my fishless cycle. Not much else to do but read up on the hobby.
    My question is; I would like to have Cardinal Tetras and Cory Catfish in my same 20 Gal L Tank. But this one book I am reading calls for a PH of 6 for the Cardinals and a PH of 7 for the Corys. How am I supposed to handle this? I know that Neon Tetras can handle a higher PH than Cardinals, but I don't want Neons. What do I have to do keep both species in the same tank.
    20 Gal L Currently Cycling.

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

2 Not allowed!
    Ideally, you shouldn't put fish with different pH requirements together. If the pH is only slightly different it isn't a big deal. You should match the fish to your pH, not the pH to your fish. Find fish that "fit" in your pH. Adjusting pH can be difficult to maintain and stressful on fish.

There are many different cory available, keep searching until you find one that has compatible pH needs and will fit comfortably in a 20g.

Seriously fish says cardinal tetra and panda cory have compatible pH requirements.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-panda/

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...odon-axelrodi/
    Last edited by mommy1; Today at 03:05 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    What is the pH of your water? And what is the pH of the water the fish store is keeping those fish in?

But, to answer your question, if both species are wild caught, you shouldn't try to keep them both in the same tank if you want to maintain your fish in the best condition you can.

Find out if the fish are wild caught or domestically bred - if they are domestic I wouldn't worry too much about pH, except to acclimatise the fish well when you add them to your tank.

ninja'd by mommy1...her advice is better than mine - find a more compatible species to fit your water conditions.
    Last edited by sheamurai; Today at 03:09 PM. Reason: mommy1's advice is more better!
    20gal long planted community

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    My tank ph is 7.0, and my cardinals are doing just fine.

Slow acclimation is key, with just about every fish I've kept.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    dont alter ph until you have a GH and KH test kit, TDS meter and a understanding how altering GH, KH, affects the ability to maintain PH.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My Neon's and Pleco has lived in 7.8 pH for 9 years and are doing just fine. The Neon's have been in 7.8 pH for almost a month and are very happy and shinny and swimming around in a group doing great. I only lost 2 in the very beginning and still have 23 of them.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by metweezer View Post
    Today is the completion of my 3rd week of my fishless cycle. Not much else to do but read up on the hobby.
    My question is; I would like to have Cardinal Tetras and Cory Catfish in my same 20 Gal L Tank. But this one book I am reading calls for a PH of 6 for the Cardinals and a PH of 7 for the Corys. How am I supposed to handle this? I know that Neon Tetras can handle a higher PH than Cardinals, but I don't want Neons. What do I have to do keep both species in the same tank.
    People keep focussing on pH. It's not that important as water hardness is. Fish experience osmoting pressure from hardness.

Any of the captive bred cories as well as cardinals will be perfectly happy in water up to medium hard. So say a pH between 6 ad 7.5 will be fine