· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Second Tank?

1. Default Second Tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a widly overstocked 20 gallon long (because of my dad) and it has started to become cloudy. I was wondering if i should pull my 5 tiger barbs and put them in a 10 gallon? Or is this just a bacteria bloom? The tank is 1 month old and it has 5 tiger barbs, 3 lamp eye tetras, 3 beunos aires, 4 zebra danios, and 1 pictus catfish.

0 Not allowed!
    You will need to do some rehoming

The catfish will easily outgrow both of those tanks. The danios need a longer tank

I think it would help to put the tiger barbs in their own tank, however you have some stock issues other than overstocking

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvette73 View Post
    I have a widly overstocked 20 gallon long (because of my dad) and it has started to become cloudy. I was wondering if i should pull my 5 tiger barbs and put them in a 10 gallon? Or is this just a bacteria bloom? The tank is 1 month old and it has 5 tiger barbs, 3 lamp eye tetras, 3 beunos aires, 4 zebra danios, and 1 pictus catfish.
    Yes, it would appear to be a bacterial bloom - that's a lot of fish to put into a tank after only 1 month.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put the barbs in another tank simply because they could be aggressive to the rest of your fish but if they aren't at the moment, it's best to keep them in there while the tank cycles & ensure the filters you using for both tanks become cycled - do you have adequate filtration for both tanks? It's best to have enough filtration for double the size of each tank.

Do you have a test kit to monitor your water parameters? You need to take readings for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates because your 20gal is currently cycling and you want to be able to change your water so the ammonia doesn't go above .25ppm
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah well i blame my dad for the overstocking. i have never tested the amonia. Also the barbs have never showed any agression to my other fish. I would like to move them becaus of this wierd behavior that they are showing. They swim on their side trying to bite the filter intake. I think its a swim bladder issue.