· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Ph down"

1. Default "Ph down"

0 Not allowed!
    So. A few fish died while I was at work today, nitrites were ridiculously high. I have managed to lower them quickly with water changes, but my ph is high.. It's off the ph chart I have heh.

Is ph down any good? How often can it be used should I use it once and it's still not low enough? Any other ways to get it down?

I've read about having wood in the aquarium and I do, takes up most of the tank!

Any help would be great, I'd hate to lose more fish.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    do not use ph down.... EVER

you need to figure out why your ph is so high, is your tap water just as high? if it is then you are fine, most fish will adapt to the higher ph easily.

if your taps ph is different from your tanks ph then you have an issue. check your ammonia, that will cause higher than normal ph
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    NEVER change pH using chemicals - first, droping pH more than 0.2 can kill fish, and second, every water change will then change the tank's 'new' pH. Also, you are traped adding chemicals all the time to hold the pH. Besides, pH is irrelavent; steady pH (no matter what) is what is important.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I highly recommend against using pH down. 'Off the charts' will probably be anywhere from 7.8-8.4 which will most likely be fine unless you're trying to breed or keeping wild caught fish. They're many disadvantages to using any ph altering chemical such as ph down/up, if cost isn't an issue the main one will be consistency. Your water changes will take longer as you now how to premix your water to match the ph of the water already in the tank. Constant ph changes aren't healthy for your fish. Simply put, it's better to have a stable high ph than a fluctuating one you lowered with the use of chemicals. If you want a constant/safe way to lower your ph you can get a ro unit and mix with your tap water to get your desired ph if you have enough space for mixing tanks etc.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, thanks!

Have just checked the tap water and its very similar to the tank PH so maybe it's not a problem. I generally check my ammonia/nitrite and forget about PH so when I saw it was high I freaked!

So.. A lot of my fish are moving very little and mainly at the bottom of the tank. I've already lost 3 ember tetras and an albino cory (can't believe my oto's are hanging on). Could this just be an effect of the high nitrites from earlier today?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    woah you have high nitrites? thats a big problem. your tank is uncycled and will cause your fish to be very stressed. you need to read the sticky on fish in cycling. basically do water changes frequently (like every other day or so) till the nitrites are staying at 0 ammonia is 0 and nitrates are appearing.

i beleive prime claims to detox that nitrites but im not sure.
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As in my first post :p I had a nitrite spike this am while I was at work.
    My OH did some water changes to get them down and I did another when I got home.
    Checking nitrites every hour and they're staying at zero.

My tank was cycled w/o fish back in December.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    if you changed your filter media (cartridges) then you will loose your cycle. i miss read your first post as high nitrates not nitrites,

testing hourly will not do anything cept stress you out. test it in the am. just keep up a bi daily water change of at least 50% and you should be fine... daily water change if you like.

your fish are probably sluggish because of the stress induced by the recycling.
    gotta love them bunnies!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    5 cherry barbs gone in the night :( nitrites go crazy overnight.

I've noticed a build up of white stuff on the glass - anything to worry about?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like you need to be doing at least 75% W/Cs every day. I've also herd of people putting floating plants such as horn wort in their tanks to help with nitrates (as nitrates are probably very high as well).
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty