· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Getting back on track.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gal w/ maybe 2 dozen misc platies, Mollies, guppies, swords, and a few neon tetras. I originally cycled this tank without fish over a year ago. I haven't tested my water lately, but I am beginning to suspect that the tank is cycling again - i/e more than usual rate of deaths, stillborn molly babies, hanging at top, lethargy and weight loss, shedding hornwort. Don't worry I will test my water when I get home.

My question is, once I confirm that's the issue, can you reccomend a good routine for getting my tank back on track? I've heard it's better to let the gravel go to build up the good bacteria, but in the mean time, how often should I change the water and how much should I change? At present, I change about 50% once a week using Prime. I have tried putting in a capful of Prime between water changes, but I did't see any changes.

I look forward to your advise.

Thanks,
    Scruf

0 Not allowed!
    PRetty much depends on what you tests show. Any radical filter maintenance recently? I'd start with a shot of bacteria booster.

0 Not allowed!
    OK I just tested my water. I'm in a bit of a doughnut . Using an API test kit: Ammonia .25 ppm, no Nitrite, 20 ppm nitrate, PH is 6. I'm really happy about the PH. Since my hornwort exploded, I'd have expected it to go down with all the extra compost.

Two things I think contributed to the Ammonia spike - one yes I did add some fish from my nursery tank. Also, last time I cleaned out the intake tube, I must of jiggled something because I noticed some of the bio balls in one of the hang on filters had breached the water level in the filter and had dried up.

As to filter maintenance, maybe once every month or so I'll woosh around some of the media bags in the old aquarium water during water changes to remove excess debris. I do use running water to clear out intake tubes on all my filters because I can never find my filter brush when I need it.

I am won't be able to get to the pet store tonight to get some bacteria boost and I'm not sure what to get. I didn't know that stuff worked. I'll do a water change tonight and I have some of that ammonia remover clay stuff I can put in my filter.

what are some other things I can do? Does Prime affect test results and will it interfere with my getting my tank back in shape?