· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New - Looking For Input

0 Not allowed!
    Hello! I have just recently decided to go ahead with my saltwater aquarium. I have had this in the back of my head for awhile now and have been doing a good bit of reading on the subject. Since this is going to be my first ever attempt to do anything with saltwater other then fish in it I think I want to start out by just establishing live rock and cycling it. I do not have any plans on added fish into the picture yet just establishing live rock.

My thought process is since I am so new I might as well learn the very basics and cycling with just live rock will put no fish lives in my hands. Plus this will give me a really big grace period turning dry rock into live rock which will allow me to practice measuring ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and salinity.

What I plan on using for this.

20 Gallon Long Tank (Owned) w/stand
    Lighting (Owned) - makeshift from Lowes.

Going to purchase...
    RO/DI Water
    Sea Salt Mix
    Dry Rock Mostly - (then go to my LFS or somebody who can help seed)

So what do you think is this probably a pretty good direction to go for someone brand new? The initial cost is low and also gets me moving in the right direction so down the road when I am ready for fish keeping which hopefully I will find a 55-75 gallon tank I will already have decent established live rock and live sand.

0 Not allowed!
    That sounds like a great plan and your headed in the right direction :)

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    I've never kept a SW tank either but have been thinking about one for a few years (and no doubt will give one a go in a few more years). I think your approach is very sensible, and one that I would probably use myself. I shall follow this thread with interest. You should start a journal to track your progress.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Starting a journal sounds like a great idea for whenever I get things up and going. I am currently trying to decide where to make my dry rock purchase from. The best place I have been able to find so far is Tampa Bay Saltwater. The website looks a bit iffy but I have been able to find some people giving them really good reviews so they might be the winner. Once I get the dry rock I got a really good LFS that I work right next to and live about 20 minute away from to pretty much supply me with everything else I think I will need.

I will keep you up-to-date with what is going on! Thanks for the replies I now have the confirmation and confidence to move ahead with this project!

0 Not allowed!
    I would try I recently ordered 100 pounds of dry rock from them for $200 with free shipping. Its great looking rock

Here is the rock i got
    Attached Images Attached Images

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like your off to a great start.

I would suggest a littler larger of tank for your first set-up, but if a 20 gallon is a large and you can get right now, then so be it.

The below links might be helpful
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL=""]

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Cliff that a larger tank to start out with would be a wiser choice if you have the room a 40g breeder or 55g. You will want to add fish as soon as its cycled, trust me. A 20g will not give you many fish stocking options. Odds are the tank will be cycled in a month or less, and a fishless tank with only rock will get boring after a month. Overall your approach is good one take.

- 29g FW - Community - Congo Tetras and a single Kribensis
    - 55g SW - Blue Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts