Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ok...What?!

  1. Default Ok...What?!


    0 Not allowed!
    My neons are dying! But... they aren't sick! They looked fine at 10:30, I come back 15 minutes later and one is dead! This has happened 3 times! I really need feedback... Do you have any idea what's going on?!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    3,293

    Awards Showcase

    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Not enough info to really tell.

    Did you do anything recent to the tank?
    What is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level?
    Are pictures available of the dead or dying?
    What size, stocking and filter do you have?
    Has it been cycled?

    ...we need a lot of info to narrow down what could be wrong.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

  3. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Not enough info to really tell.

    Did you do anything recent to the tank?
    What is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level?
    Are pictures available of the dead or dying?
    What size, stocking and filter do you have?
    Has it been cycled?

    ...we need a lot of info to narrow down what could be wrong.
    My water quality is perfect. I did a 40% water change yesterday. It has been cycled. 55 gallon. There WERE 15 neons, now only 12. External filter. I just got those neons on Saturday.

  4. #4

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    certain fish species are well known for the tendency to always have some specimens die for no apparent reason after acquisition. they can all look fine in the store
    but then after being in a new tank for a few days some die randomly. the rest show no problems and live on healthily. otocinclus are one such species, neon tetras are another.
    since your water is good(you didnt post any exact values but I will give you the benefit of the doubt) and the neons are new, that will be my guess.

  5. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    certain fish species are well known for the tendency to always have some specimens die for no apparent reason after acquisition. they can all look fine in the store
    but then after being in a new tank for a few days some die randomly. the rest show no problems and live on healthily. otocinclus are one such species, neon tetras are another.
    since your water is good(you didnt post any exact values but I will give you the benefit of the doubt) and the neons are new, that will be my guess.
    Thanks, at least I know what's happening. One is dying right now.

  6. #6

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I also do not acclimate my neons. I just think the less screwing around with them, the better they survive. They have been shipped from overseas, then go to the distributor, then to store, and there they are kept constantly stressed by lights and the store keeper constantly netting from the tank.

    I get them home, pour the bag into the net to remove all store water, drop them in a dark quarantine tank and not turn the lights on until the next day. And they stay in that tank for two weeks before being moved into their permanent home.

    I don't know what all you have for stock, but you may also have to look at that in case you have something biting them. But I stopped losing a few when I stopped acclimating them.

  7. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    I also do not acclimate my neons. I just think the less screwing around with them, the better they survive. They have been shipped from overseas, then go to the distributor, then to store, and there they are kept constantly stressed by lights and the store keeper constantly netting from the tank.

    I get them home, pour the bag into the net to remove all store water, drop them in a dark quarantine tank and not turn the lights on until the next day. And they stay in that tank for two weeks before being moved into their permanent home.

    I don't know what all you have for stock, but you may also have to look at that in case you have something biting them. But I stopped losing a few when I stopped acclimating them.
    Ok thanks for the advice, I'll try that. No one is biting the neons, it's my clown loaches and red tailed shark I'm worried about. One of the loaches has fin rot because a black tetra nipped him, and the red tailed shark is being nipped, but has no infection(yet).

  8. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Another neon dead. 11 left.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •