· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Filtration Dilemma

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm having a slight dilemma in deciding which direction to head with filtration for my new (first) 20g tank and hoped to gain some insight from those who have gone before me into the land of filters. I've been looking at buying a new Aquaclear 50 for the tank. Everything I've read makes it sound like this would be a good choice. After shopping around a few places, I've found it for about $30 either with or without some added sponges or biomax.

However, I'm a big fan of Craigslist (that's how I landed my 20g tank) and recently found a listing for a Penguin 150 for $10, a Cascade 100 for $5, a Whisper 5-15 for $5, an Aquaclear 30 for $15. Now I plan on running a QT tank, so I had already figured I'd pick up a second filter to run on my 20g unless I was QTing something and would pull it over for that.

My question is, at least in your mind, what would be the best way to go? I'm no opposed to used, though I'm a fan of going brand new just because. Are the above mentioned used filters worth the prices I was quoted? Should I just grab them up for backups and still buy the Aquaclear 50? Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks!
    First 29g Tank: In process

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You probably know by now that you need at least twice as much filtration as your tank. And Keep i mind, you can never have too much filtration. :)

Now, If it were me, I would buy the aquaclear 50 for the 20 gal and the aquaclear 30 for the tank/QT to pull over (I assume the QT is ten gallons or less). That way when you buy sponges (replace when they fall apart) or more biomax (to replace the carbon cartridge with, but don't replace the current biomax, like ever) you won't have to buy from different stores and such. I can personally vouch for aquaclear filter brand, and I know many people here can too. Maybe those other people can chime in with their opinions, but that is what I would do.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

I would go with the new AC50 on your 20 gallon tank with bio-max and a sponge for media. I have never liked the other filters that you have mentioned. I have one of them in a closet somewhere as a back-up QT filter
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    When you buy used always factor in the cost of a new impellor. Many used filters need one

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    When you buy used always factor in the cost of a new impellor. Many used filters need one
    I agree with this - especially if the filter hasn't been used in a while and has been allowed to completely dry out (rubber parts can warp and crack). The impeller is normally the first thing to suffer here and may not run as smoothly as it did previously.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Yep. On the other hand, impellor replacement is often very easy and many a fishkeeper has picked up a rattling filter for next to nothing and restored it to perfect working or with $10 max in parts.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All great and insightful suggestions. I think I'll go with the AC50 for my 20g and see if I can't get the AC30 for a backup/QT setup (the current owner said he bought it, used it for a week, got tired of having an aquarium, and put it in his closet...so hopefully it's in near new condition).

Back to Craigslist I go!
    First 29g Tank: In process