· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default sap in driftwood

0 Not allowed!
    found the DW of my dreams. out in the woods, ok bark is off, I scowled it, then i baked in 350 for 10 minutes. after baking it sap came from several places, I have it soaking now. Is there anything to do to get it to stop this wood is the bees knees. should i bake it some more, till it all oozes out. This is going in a wild caught native tank, I do know they are less supseptible to disease but still. ANY HELP

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Never had sap come out of driftwood before, but my guess would be to cook it some more to try to solidify the sap

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Can you put pics of the wood up?? DW really shouldn't be leaking sap and the only DW i've seen that's done that is pine wood, and as far as I know pine wood isn't safe for aquariums.

0 Not allowed!
    I have boiled red moor bogwood and within the first few weeks you can get sap oozing from it. It's not unusual.

Here's what mine looked like:

(see the grey oozing part)

It just wiped off easily and the filter broke up any free floating parts. It wasn't toxic in any way.

I cannot speak for other wood types though.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure if it would work. But possibly baking the wood and leaving it in dry conditions. Maybe baking it for a period of time, at high temperatures, once a day for a couple weeks? Idk something like that could work.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    its to hard for pine, well thats what my dad said, idk if he was right, i will pic it in a few, def dont wanna kill my natives

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    only good pic were it is dry

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Doesn't look like pine. Some short of hard wood though, I'd assume that since the tank is going to be a native from the same area you found it in it'd be fine.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    not sound like an idio but what is the phrase, short of hard wood, meaning its not hardwood and yea my aunt lives a few miles ffrom lake and this is were i got it.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish11788 View Post
    not sound like an idio but what is the phrase, short of hard wood, meaning its not hardwood and yea my aunt lives a few miles ffrom lake and this is were i got it.
    Looks like a typo and was meant to say "some sort of hard wood".