· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess 5 gallons is not good for much besides a hospital. Should i just get a ten gallon?

0 Not allowed!
    What is recommended is to get the largest tank you have space for and can afford.

A 10gal will give you more stocking options but not a ton.

As you have mentioned, many people use a 5gal for quarantine purposes, however, it is possible to put living things into it as long as they are appropriate - if you're not interested with what has been recommended then a larger tank is in order : )
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My budget is around 50 USD. I know that top fin makes a twenty for pretty cheap. I REALLY want those bumblebee gobies.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to andrea's advice on tank size.

Best way to look at it though, is to remember that as tank size goes up, so do the extra costs (filters, heaters, lights, fish stock, substrate etc)

I have a ten gallon stocked with red cherry shrimp and snails that I plan to add a micro school to. It all depends on your space restrictions and cost restrictions.

Usually the extra tank size isn't the costly part (assuming a $1/gallon deal) going from a 10 gallon to 20 gallon only will cost $10. But then you need a larger filter, so that goes up $10, twice as much substrate etc.

I don't say this to try to scare you, but just think about that sort of stuff... what sort of budget would you like to stay within to be comfortable? And think about where you want the tank

0 Not allowed!
    Any chance of finding a used set up? Many people find larger tanks along with a filter, decorations, hood/light, etc. as package deals.

Be aware that even if you are able to get that tank, you will need filtration for double the size of the tank. If you buy a kit that includes a filter, you will probably need to add another filter.

When looking for a tank, if you already know what kind of fish you want, it's easier to see if you can afford the size tank the fish needs. Sometimes the fish we really want we can't afford simply because the cost of a comfortable home for them is beyond our reach. I'm not saying that's your issue, just my 2 cents.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I`ve poked around on craigslist and all of the tanks are either monster 100 gallons, or there really beat up twenties. I want to experiment with brackish because the fish are cooler than freshwater but its not as hard to maintain as marine.
    I`ll continue to look at petsmart and try to find a tank between ten and twenty

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    are you located anywhere near Lancaster County in PA? I have a tank with a stand (antique wooden tv) and hood, light and background, all it needs is filter and gravel and fish. I want it gone so if you are near here i can give it all to you and a 40gal seeded filter that im replacing soon that is on another one of my tanks currently for $50. :) Its 30"x12"x19" and it has no issues at all except a few small scratches on back that can probably be buffed out but arent noticeable anyway.
    Last edited by ekfishlover2011; 04-05-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything