· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Water Testing and wanting to confirm cycled or what to do

0 Not allowed!
    So I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank thats been running for about two to three weeks without fish and two weeks with 6 little tetras in there to try and get the cycle complete. Yesterday I tested the water and saw that my pH was very high (7.8) and my ammonia was at 0.25 ppm but there was no nitrite or nitrate. Is my cycle complete? If so what do I need to do to lower the pH and ammonia levels? I'm new to doing fish tanks and am unsure. Thanks :)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your cycle hasn't passed the first stage yet. A cycle is complete when ammonia peaks, then begins to go back down while the nitrite peaks, then that goes down while the nitrate continues to rise. Were you adding drops of ammonia during those two or three weeks without fish? If not, then having it running for that length of time did little if anything for you. Have you tested the ammonia and pH out of the tap (after aerating it)? What kind of water conditioner do you use? The 0.25 mg/L ammonia that you're seeing is okay for the fish at that pH, and since your tap likely has the same concentration then doing a water change won't lower it.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Your cycle is not complete yet. As long as you have ammonia readings the benificial bacteria is not fully developed. Keep up water changes. When the ammonia readings get to .25ppm it is time for a 30% water change.
    I would not worry about the pH readings at this time. Keep an eye on that ammonia and watch for the next stage, nitrites. Again water changes through that stage until both ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm. Thats when your cycle is complete. Nitrates are the end result which we control with (you guessed it), weekly water changes. Fish can take a higher nitrate level then either of the other two. Keep up the work and dont be shy about asking away. The folks here are awesome.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I added the dechlorinator to the water but other than that did not add anything to the water at all. I do realize that running it for that length of time has done nothing for me and am concerned that continuing to leave it like this will cause my tank to never fully complete its cycle. I have not tested the ammonia or pH out of the tank but do know that we have soft water here and am on city not well water as well. I'm trying to figure out how to get the cycle to completion (if there is anything I can do) and am getting kind of frustrated as was looking forward to putting more fish in the tank soon (so if I'm coming across as rude I'm sorry it's not you)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    But will the water changes allow the cycle to go to completion? That might be my missing factor then maybe

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The reason why fishless cycles are faster is because you're able to give the bacteria closer to an ideal environment, but that same environment will kill fish so when cycling with fish it's more important to just keep an eye on the ammonia and do what's necessary to prevent the concentration from rising too much. Assuming that your tap has 0.25 mg/L ammonia, which is quite typical especially when the city uses chloramine, then doing frequent water changes would at least keep the ammonia closer to that 0.25 mark, but you'll never be able to get it to zero until the cycle completes the first stage.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    As funkman said ^^^^^

Cycling with fish will finish your cycle but it may take another 3-4 weeks.
    For the sake of your fish, keep up the water changes but don't rinse out the filter media until the cycle is finished or unless you really need to because it isn't running freely. If you do rinse out the filter media/sponge, be gentle and do it in old tank water.
    Keep the faith, but I wouldn't add any more fish to the tank until the ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm. Even then, add fish a few at a time. Putting too many in at one time could start the ammonia all over again.
    No one said it was easy. Patients is the key.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thoughts on using a product called stresszyme (it says it has bacteria to help with cycling along with stuff to keep the fish from getting stressed out)?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only bacteria-in-bottle product that I would recommend is Tetra SafeStart. Some people feel that all of these bottled bacterial products are nothing more than a gimmick, but from what I've read nearly every person that has used this one exactly as directed has had great results. I think the one that Lady Hobbs recommends is Seachem Stability.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
    No one said it was easy. Patients is the key.
    I say cycling is easy... But people do tend to over complicate it or sometimes misunderstand the process. It's the patience part that is difficult, but just as important as getting the tank cycled. Have you read this yet? http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Bacteria grows mostly on the filter media and also on the hard surfaces in the tank, not in the water column. Water changes will slow down the cycle because you are removing the ammonia the bacteria use, but they don't stop the cycle because your fish are constantly creating more ammonia.

Don't worry about the pH even after the cycle is complete, most fish available have never been in their textbook perfect pH anyway. Unless they are very sensitive most fish will adapt.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.