· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Broken Heater, or too early in the morning...

0 Not allowed!
    I was cleaning parts of the tank yesterday and took my heater out do that business. (unplugged)

Well, I messed with the dials a tad bit, and now the heater won't turn off.

I woke up to my tank at 84 degrees and the heater was still on..
    Its a Jager heater by the way (the one w/ the blue dial and red arrow)

So I tried to calibrate it again:
    uplugged-wait 10minutes
    put my thermometer right next to the heater, set the red dial for what the thermometer said,
    turned the blue dial to where I want the temp at.
    which is obviously cooler.

plugged heater back in. and it's still on. UGH!

I didn't have time to mess with it more this morning, so I left it unplugged, put a glass cover on top and set my house to 72deg. i'm confident the water will be held at a good temp for the day. its 45gallons of water.

Any ideas? Did the heater just give up? or I'm dumb w/o my coffee? lol

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would venture to say that the contacts in the relay have finally built up enough carbon or corrosion that they have become fused together. Time for a replacement I suspect, however I do not own any Jager heaters. I keep a spare on hand just incase something like this happens to one of mine. I hope your fish are all ok!
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Turn you turn the dial to the lowest temp to see if it turned off? I don't pay attention to (nor trust) the numbers on mine. I just checked mine and it's set to 70F to keep the tank at 78F. The way to calibrate a heater is to turn it all the way down, then slowly turn it up until the on-light turns on. Turn it slightly more, wait til the temp stabilizes, and continue doing that until the tank temp reaches the desired temp.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    Turn you turn the dial to the lowest temp to see if it turned off? I don't pay attention to (nor trust) the numbers on mine. I just checked mine and it's set to 70F to keep the tank at 78F. The way to calibrate a heater is to turn it all the way down, then slowly turn it up until the on-light turns on. Turn it slightly more, wait til the temp stabilizes, and continue doing that until the tank temp reaches the desired temp.
    That's a good strategy to try out! I'll see if that works when I get home this evening.

You don't think having it horizontal is causing issues?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just got to thinking about that method over lunch.

the tank water as is (before I left was at 78deg) and it should cool only a few degrees during the day...so I should set the blue ring and red arrow to the same exact thing (for whatever the thermometer reads)

the light should NOT turn on (meaning it is heating) correct???

If it does, means there is an issue w/ the heater?

Another test-set the red dial to thermometer temp-then move blue dial to a cooler temp: which would mean: Don't turn on?

How does that sound?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i believe most heaters turn on for the first few mins when they are plugged in. also if i remember correctly the red arrow is the calibrator and the blue ring is the temp. when you set temp you observe the temp and then set the red arrow to the temp your thermometer reads, then adjust from there.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Since aquarium heaters aren't very accurate, you really can't go by numbers on the dial. I'm not familiar with that heater so I just looked up the instructions on how to use it. The best way to check if it's absolutely busted or not is to set the red arrow to the highest temperature (indicating that the tank water is really hot), then set the desired temperature to the lowest temperature with the blue ring. If the heater stays on even though the heater thinks the water is already way hotter than you want it then it's time to replace it. If it's not on, then you just need to calibrate it so that it reaches the desired temperature. Hope that makes sense.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That makes great sense.

However, with this version of the heater-the red indicator arrow can only move within 4 degrees of your "set temperature on the blue dial"

@Genocidex: you are correct, and I tried that-i set the red indicator to 84 (what it read) and the blue ring to 80 for my desired temp...to drop the temp, but the heater stayed on.

I'll try again tonight. Maybe I jumped the gun b/c I didn't wait very long at all after plugging it in and seeing the light indicate it was on. i'll give it a longer time frame tonight

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If that's the case then just set the desired temperature to the lowest setting and the current temperature to 4 degrees higher. It should have the same outcome. In other words, set the desired temp to 70 (or whatever the lowest setting is) and the current temp to 74, and if the heater stays on then I don't believe there's anything you can do.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There's one thing to do: smash it. lol

Got home, my trick of keeping the warmth in worked! tank was at 78 deg, not bad after like 10hrs!

Set the red dial at 78, and then moved the blue dial to 74. Plugged it in, and the light has been on for the past 30minutes.

UGH.

These are supposed to be the best heaters on the market! and its only been like 9months with this one.

I guess, i'll take advantage of this "opportunity" and buy 2 new ones vs one big one. I wasn't a fan of the diagonal/horizontal mounting anyways.

so for a 45gallon tank, would 2 125watt heaters be good?
    They are 12inches long, so it leaves me 4 inches of wiggle room on substrate/water level-so i can mount them vertically (the "correct way")