· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Cory?

Default Best Cory?

0 Not allowed!
    There are a ton of loach species....
    Which do you have that are so aggressive? I don't remember.
    Last edited by jaysee; 04-01-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Orange lasers. Habrosis. Black. Long fin panda. They are not really all the same in care requirements. Some are domesticated and farm raised which makes them easier to keep because they have adapted over time. Most of the ones you will find in a big box pet store are farmed. Quite a few are extremely difficult to keep and breed. You have to do a crazy voodoo dance and sprinkle rain water on them.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl 
    New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    "You have to do a crazy voodoo dance and sprinkle rain water on them".

IWA you always make me laugh!!
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Jaysee, my Dwarf Chains can be aggressive when they feel like it, although they're not most of the time. I occasionally have fins disappearing from my Harlequins, and I've had disasters in the past adding a school of Yoyo Loaches to an established aquarium. While most of the time my Loaches are docile and just like to play amongst themselves, I've also seen them team up like a pack and target one particular fish which they've decided they don't like.

They are my favourite type of fish and I love them dearly, but I'm just saying they're not for everyone and they're certainly not for every aquarium.

0 Not allowed!
    There are loaches for every aquarium - there are many many species (not as many as there are Corys, but a MUCH wider breadth). The question is what's available, which changes seasonally.

To me, your characterization is like grouping all gouramis together based on how 3 spots and dwarfs are, which is just not an accurate portrayal.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    My intention was not to start an argument. And I am not, infact, disagreeing with you. I shared an experience and you shared another, and then proceeded to try and tell my that my experience was wrong.

I can only make comment on what I have experienced myself during my time keeping loaches, and from what I have learned and heard from other people who keep them. Beyond that, I am not "grouping all loaches together". I was actually primarily talking about botiine loaches, as these are the loaches which appear most commonly in stores, specifically Yoyos and Dwarf Chains as that's the 2 main species I have kept. I have also owned Hillstreams and Kuhlis which don't have an aggressive bone in their bodies.

I understand that you have not shared the same experience I have with your loaches -- that's fine. Different environments bring out different behaviors in many fish -- for example I notice no nippiness or aggression whatsoever when keeping Yoyo Loaches with SA/CA cichlids, but when I kept Yoyo loaches with Congo Tetras a year ago they shredded the congos fins to bits. Same species, same sized tank, same sized school. Different individuals. I shared an experience. I did not say that all loaches were aggressive. Please do not attempt to deny me my opinion and experience just because it is different than what you have experienced with your loaches. Thanks.

Sorry OP for the thread Hijack. Back to the original topic now.
    Last edited by Amelia; 04-02-2013 at 01:28 AM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I thought I'd chime in being a new cory owner and loving their behavior and general playfulness they make for a great community fish. I never cared for little fish before I always had big mean ones but corys are so fun to watch I have sterbai and melini (false bandit corys)

I tend to disagree with sterbai being shy at least if you get them young and raise them up they are more active than my tetras swimming all over the water column not just the bottom the same goes for my melinis. I think sterbai are the best looking and they get along great with my atm much bigger melinis just fine; just make sure you get 6 of each at least and you're ok to mix and match imo.

Not to get into an argument but I've kept a few diff. loaches and besides clown loaches which are great but get rather big over time for a 75g I enjoy my corys more than the loaches I've kept.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

0 Not allowed!
    So as we can see, personal experience and preferences can vary widely. I also have sterbai cories and almost never see them. I have a heavily planted tank with a tall piece of driftwood and they are always behind that. I have pandas in another tank and they do not run and hide like the sterbai.

A really beautiful cory I saw recently at my LFS is the adolfi cory, but the price of these was just way too much for me. Without any experience with this one, can't say if they would be out and about or not. But if money is no problem, take a look at the adolfi.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I have peppered and false julii corys. Both are just darn cute, the peppered are less shy and can always be found out and about, the julii are just adorable, seriously cute but a bit more shy until it come to algae wafers..I actually saw one of my tiny julii corys chase a long fin serpae tetra away from the wafer :D

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's cool to hear about behavior from person to person fish wise; it sounds like my experience with sterbai's is very different than most people. I have a ton of plants and driftwood and they never hide; I can sit and watch them swim in front of the glass all day as long as my tetras aren't spooked they will be confident, I also think the addition of 6 melini's helped since they are near full grown vs my mostly younger smaller sterbai.

Looks like I'm not the only one with corys that go nuts for algae wafers either my baby pleco doesn't have a chance with em. Also as long as it's blanched my melinis (not my sterbai) will chew on squash which surprised me.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.