· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Really need help with identifying disease!

0 Not allowed!
    I've had problem after problem with my guppies. I've lost a lot of fish recently... It starts with slowing down, clamping up the fins/tail a bit, fin and tail rot and eventually death. I am keeping my water parameters as close to perfect as possible (However nitrate levels can be in the 40's as I have to use a nitrate filter and only half of the water gets treated). Ammonia and nitrite in all tanks currently are at 0. (It will occasionally go up to the second lowest level... don't have it in front of me but I've been working hard at keeping the water as clean as possible. Fish in the one tank I noticed some white/grey areas covering the backs of some of them. Then came the fin and tail rot (and around the edges it appears "wooly.") Then they would die. The second tank filled with mostly fry starts to pin tail and then die. There are a few adult fish in there now suffering from fin and tail rot (slowly dissinegrating) and I just noticed right now one of them, instead of a front fin, it looks like she has a tiny, perfectly formed Dandelion looking growth in place of her fin). I have treated for ich/parasites and different bacterial diseases, nothing is working they continue to get fin/tail rot, occasional white patches on their bodies and now this cottony growth where the fin should be. Could this be a fungus and I've been treating it all wrong the whole time? I must note that the platies and swordtails that share the tank seem to not be effected by it (though they are starting to look a little more listless). What could this be!? I will try to get a photo if I can of the dandelion growth but it is just that, a perfectly shaped dandelion (the white kind when its ready to blow away)... Thanks in advance.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you got a mix of fin rot/columnaris/fungal issues.

I've never been able to keep guppies-they were just too weak in my area to stay alive more than a week.

your ich/parasite meds normally won't touch this stuff.

i'd suggest using macryn2-see if your LFS has it or order it.

but at the same time. (not while using this med b/c water change schedules need to be altered during med treatments) you should try and increase your water changes to keep it in pristine condition. you seem to being doing a good job at it, so keep that up and do one more change a week.
    more often than not-really really clean water helps more than meds.

0 Not allowed!
    Guppies are so massed produced and reproduce with each other. Interbreeding. I would do bigger water changes so you can keep those nitrates below 20, tho. But I would also try to get away from guppies and try to get fish that live longer and not so prone to disease. Fish cared for properly and new stock not dumped into the tank with them adding disease and you will have fish that can live many years. I have tetra's now into their 9th year.

Wow. 101 errors in this post and then my computer froze!
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-31-2013 at 03:06 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, how often are you changing your water and how much at a time?

How many tanks are you referring to and how large are they? How many fish in each one?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies