· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, Red Tailed Sharks don't mix with other bottom dwellers very well. :l At all. So don't worry, I won't mix them.
    ~buddytrooper
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."

0 Not allowed!
    I found this site today that is all about Botia loaches. I, too, am looking for a good snail eater but don't want anything too large or aggressive.

http://www.loaches.com/articles/an-i...-keeping-botia
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-31-2013 at 05:30 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! This is a very helpful site. :)
    Thanks,
    buddytrooper
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."

0 Not allowed!
    @Lady Hobbs -- from my experience most botiine loaches are at least semi-aggressive. Even my Dwarf Chains which are supposedly the most peaceful of the botiines are pretty aggressive when they feel like it. I have them in a group of 8 and even then they can be quite nippy. Usually they play amongst themselves but they do like to give the cories grief from time to time. I would still recommend them tho -- they are my favorite fish!

Also that is a great article, I've often showed it to people thinking of buying loaches.

Also, I don't mean to disagree but I successfully kept a Rainbow Shark with Kuhli Loaches for quite a while. He wasn't bothered by them at all because thy didn't threaten him. He hated other fish with similar body shape to him though, like my Yoyo Loaches, Kribensis and Swordtails. He never paid any attention to my Kuhlis, cories or bristlenosed plecos.
    Last edited by Amelia; 04-01-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Default Loach Compatibility

0 Not allowed!
    Dwarf chain loaches are aggressive?
    Last edited by jaysee; 04-01-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    The same as most other loaches, not aggressive per say, just very boisterous and sometimes quite nippy. I wouldn't wanna keep them with anything long finned, that's for sure. There was I time when I just got them that I thought I was going to have to take them back, as I noticed my harlequin rasbora had whole fins missing. They don't do it anymore tho.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Here's another small Loach for you; the Pygmy Multi Stripe Loach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XRROAI4dXWQ
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    I don't agree that most loaches are aggressive and nippy. That's not been my experience with them at all, but I've only kept several species, not most of them.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    I love those little Dwarves, Steeler! Sure wish we could get them in NZ. :(

I don't agree that most loaches are aggressive and nippy. That's not been my experience with them at all, but I've only kept several species, not most of them.
    I'm not saying they're all aggressive and nippy, but in my experience they can be and I would always think carefully before adding them to a set-up. (Well, you should think carefully before adding ANY fish to a set-up, lol). They don't mean to be aggressive I don't think, but when my Chains play they sometimes chase my tetras and harlequins in a "pack", and I've seen the Polka Dots and Yoyos I've had in the past do the same thing.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to Amelia, I've kept Yo Yo's and they terrorized the whole tank. I tried Skunk's, same thing. Even Clowns get nippy when competing for food. All species have more aggresive members, look at Serpae tetras, we have several members keep them with no problems and others like me that can't.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep