· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    What's why we use dechlorinator.

Bac Boosters are not supposed to be used doing a fishless cycle. They are used for cycling with fish.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    What's why we use dechlorinator.
    So if I give you a pint of chlorine and you die, if I give you a pint of dechorlinater do you sudden come back to life?

If you see what I mean.

Empty tank + water + dechlorinator. If the bacteria in the water had been killed by chlorine etc. then there will be no bacteria in the water and so where does the seed population come from?
    Last edited by paulca; 03-30-2013 at 03:52 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Bacteria is not in the water. Ammonia produced by the fish grows the bacteria. If you are cycling without fish, then that ammonia is replaced by using ammonia from a bottle. Then when you have your cycle, you add your fish.

Dechlorinator works instantly. You add the dechlorinator and then fill the tank with the water.

Read the cycling threads in my signature

0 Not allowed!
    Bacteria spores are in the air and all around us. That is how we get the bacteria growth in our tanks when we do a fishless cycle. At least that is my understanding of were it comes from
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    Ammonia produced by the fish grows the bacteria.
    Sorry for being so flippant, but you can't just "grow" bacteria. They are a life form with DNA, RNA, cellular metabolism etc. You can breed them, but you have to have a seed population first.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    This is getting pointless - people believe all types of false claims by manufacturing companies. I really don't care.

As for bacteria being able to survive when dry, many types do. So?

As for filters, let yours dry out and see the result - disaster. Will the dried 'spores' re-grow? I think the answer to that is yes; and I would also think faster than a new cycle. But trying to claim some fact like filters being dry and working again after some time has no relationship to my statement and is not a valid argument.

Bottom line: until someone proves these claims about boosters who does not have an economic interest in the product, I will not accept these products as anything but a waste of money. As for antidotal evidence, I will say far too many people here on this forum have used these boosters and gotten zero results from them.

Don't waste money buying these boosters.
    Last edited by Cermet; 03-30-2013 at 04:24 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Bacteria spores are in the air and all around us. That is how we get the bacteria growth in our tanks when we do a fishless cycle. At least that is my understanding of were it comes from
    If that were the case and these bacteria can be dormant spores, then why not just put the spores in a bottle?

I know it sounds like I'm arguing for the sake of it, but either:

They can't survive out of water and must be added to a tank from somewhere OR they can be dormant and live outside of water and thus can be stored in a bottle.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    "Sorry for being so flippant, but you can't just "grow" bacteria. ... you have to have a seed population first."

The water generally has spores as I posted. Lady Hobbs is simply stating a fact - add food to the water and the bacteria grows: i.e. the spores begin to become active.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulca View Post
    If that were the case and these bacteria can be dormant spores, then why not just put the spores in a bottle?

I know it sounds like I'm arguing for the sake of it, but either:

They can't survive out of water and must be added to a tank from somewhere OR they can be dormant and live outside of water and thus can be stored in a bottle.
    You can, I never said you could not

As I stated in my ordinal post, the bottled stuff speeds things up, however, it just will not cycle your tank for you. No matter were the bacteria spores or bacteria comes from, you still have to grow the bacteria.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so, yes I think the discussion has run it's course.

While the concept (or storing bacteria in a bottle) itself probably isn't impossible, none of the currently available products produce desired results that would not have occured naturally.

A company has not yet come forth with a viable instant(ish) solution, most likely because newbies will use whatever you give them and thus the company makes money producing rubbish and experts won't trust it even if you did make an instant cycle.

Also I accept, dumping N trillion of the correct bacteria into a tank doesn't mean it will be instantly cycled. The bacteria have to set up shop on surfaces and in the filter media first, which will still take time.

As an analogy, tipping 2 tons of dug up plants onto some soil does not make a garden.
    Last edited by paulca; 03-30-2013 at 04:34 PM.