· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Will this work?

0 Not allowed!
    Continuing from an earlier thread I took some advice and I'm hoping I'm in better shape now. As of tomorrow this is where I am.

Tanks
    1-50 Gallon
    1-20 Gallon Long

Fish
    4 Common Goldfish
    4 Black Moors
    1 Fantail
    1 Calico Fantail
    1 Trinidad Pleco
    1 shubunkin

As of right now all the fish are under 1 in a half inches except the shubunkin and pleco which are both no bigger then 2 inches.

Will this work for like 6 months until I can get a bigger tank?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They should all be fine in the 50g for now assuming you keep up with water changes to keep the toxins down.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if you're going to cycle with fish in and go that route and keep those fish. i highly suggest you give this a read and follow it to the letter when it comes to not messing with your filter. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492 Defiantly pick up a API Master freshwater kit that test for ammonia , nitrite and nitrates. it's a must have item don't trust testing strips. Make sure you read up on the nitrogen cycle and fully understand it. I wish you the best luck if you go that route it's much painful then going fish less cycle. I also suggest testing your tap water source once you get the testing kit.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Continuing from an earlier thread I took some advice and I'm hoping I'm in better shape now. As of tomorrow this is where I am.

Tanks
    1-50 Gallon
    1-20 Gallon Long

Fish
    4 Common Goldfish
    4 Black Moors
    1 Fantail
    1 Calico Fantail
    1 Trinidad Pleco
    1 shubunkin

As of right now all the fish are under 1 in a half inches except the shubunkin and pleco which are both no bigger then 2 inches.

Will this work for like 6 months until I can get a bigger tank?
    How big is that going to be? The "pleco" reaches 10-11 inch. They also like it warmer than the rest. The shubunkin gets bigger than that still

Commons can also end up at 8 inches. Of these only the faintails stay relatively small.

If you really must have goldfish 3 fantails in that 50 gallon could work well if you provide adequate filtreation

Default Okay, So I couldn't get what I needed but got what I could. Am I on the right track?

0 Not allowed!
    With the 18 fish in the 10 gallon I know I needed to get something asap. This is what I was able to get and with what I have this is all I will have come tomorrow morning.

What I'm getting for 70 Dollars
    40 Gallon Tank
    60 Gallon Filter
    Extra Filter Pads
    Hood with Light
    powerhead
    heater
    Stand
    Rocks

What I have
    10 Gallon Tank
    15 Gallon Filter
    Hood with Light
    Gravel
    Fish Net
    Decor

So I wasn't able to find a 50 but I got a 40 for now. So now I have a 40 gallon and a 10 gallon

This is what I'm thinking after cycling for each tank

40 Gallon
    6 Black Moors
    5 Common goldfish
    1 Fantail
    1 Calico Fantail
    1 pleco(Trinidad I believe)
    1 Shubunkin

10 Gallon
    1 bala shark
    2 Danios
    1 Catfish

So I figure that will work for like 6 months to a year before I get a bigger tank say 75 gallon minimum. Should I stock the tanks as I stated above or do something different? Should I put the heater with the 10 gallon? I think I'm slowly getting my situation (Ignorance in petstore and being taken advantage of) better for the fish.

Whats Next?

What should I cycle the 40 with? Do I need other chemicals?

Chemicals I have
    API Freshwater Master test kit
    aquasafe
    EasyBalance
    StartZyme

Food I have
    Tetra Goldfish flakes
    Algae Eater wafers

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The bala shark (and catfish depending on the species) will likely get stunted in a 10g if left in there for 6 months to a year. The bala can grow 14" if I recall, and can become very aggressive towards other fish so he'd do best in a [much larger] separate tank with other aggressive species. Is it too late to return any of these fish?

The danios would be better with tropical flake food and the catfish prefers shrimp pellets (again, depending on the species).

You can use Tetra SafeStart to cycle the 40g. Most people who use it exactly as instructed have great results with it. They come in 30g and 75g sizes, so if you go this route be sure to get the larger bottle. I would also recommend using the Seachem Ammonia Alert to monitor the ammonia level during the cycle, and prime for water changes and also to add to the tank inbetween water changes if the ammonia starts to get high.

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately the pet store doesn't take returns. Probably why they took advantage of my ignorance. So I'm trying to make due with what I can. I will have about 30 dollars left to spare after all that tomorrow so anything I need very much please tell me.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't forget to do lots of water changes. The fish should hold out for a few weeks. In the meanwhile, try posting advertisements on the local classified website or something like that and try selling your unsuitable stock to others who may have suitable homes, such as outdoor ponds, large tanks, etc (be sure to specify their sizes or someone else could fall into the same trap). Then you will have less fish and a little more money to help whatever fish you keep.
    Good luck in your endeavor.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are there any nearby fish stores that take fish in for store credit (or free)? You'd be better off taking a small hit on the cost of some of the fish than trying to accommodate them properly. You can call some of them to check. And I don't mean typical chain pet stores but small fish shops.

0 Not allowed!
    Well as long as it works for a year I can save up and watch craigslist. In my area they had a 180 gallon pretty cheap. I plan on having at least 2-3 6ft tanks eventually. It's just getting them situated for the time being. This time next year I'm hoping to have at least a 100 gallon tank, 75 gallon tank, 55 gallon tank, and the 40 and probably turn my 10 gallon into a glowfish/neon tank

What do you think?