· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Tank Mates?

Hybrid View

Default Tank Mates?

0 Not allowed!
    Right now I have a 100 gallon aquarium. It is mostly a community tank for now. I say for now because I also have a Ropefish and a tiger shovelnose until they get big enough to cause problems, in which case the other fish will be moved to the girlfriends community aquarium. I have been seeing some Striped raphael cats around and I'm curious how one would work out with my shovelnose. He is still quite small and wouldn't pose a threat to the raph, I'm more worried about my shovelnose getting injured. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    May I ask why you buy a fish that you know full well reaches a lenghth of 2 feet quite easily? Does your girlfriend have a 12ft aquarium? Because that's what you'd need to keep a shovelnose. The ropefish itself only gets a mere foot long.

By buying these you actively support the trade in tankbuster fish.

Platydoras armatulus as the striped raphael is known, will stay so small that it will be a nice snack to either the shovelnose or the ropefish.

I would strongly advice you to start dealing with the fact that you chose to keep large predators in a small tank. That means that they will probably develop the health problems common to fish that experience that and it also means that any smaller fish, small enough to fit in a mouth, are food.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/146

0 Not allowed!
    You misunderstand, I am prepared to get a new setup large enough to house the cat when it becomes necessary, which i know will be at the most in a couple years. God the hours of research i have done the subject... The girlfriends aquarium is large enough for the other community fish to be moved into when the cat becomes large enough to become a problem for them, and the cat will stay in his 100 gallon,until he becomes to large and needs something bigger. The cat is currently only about 3 inches long and doing fine. The reason i asked the question is because before this i had never even heard of the striped raphael and asked about it at my LFS. The lady there told me that they can be a problem for other bottom dwelling fish because of the spines on their bodies.