· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Is this working?

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I'm attempting to cycle up my 89 gallon patio pond. A glorfied aquarium. I started about 2 weeks ago, when it was warmer. And since then we've gone through a cold snap.. it's spring. Anyway, my reading now are like this: My ph is at 7.8, my ammonia is abt 3 (up from the 2 of last week), my nitrites (I finally have those) are at .25 I'm using the 'shrimp method', I started with 4... and added 3 monday. I used Tetra Pond Filter Starter to get bacteria started on my biofilter before I put in the initial shrimp. And yep, I did dechlorinate.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Or just letting it go is all I can do at this point?

Thanks

Oh yes, when I do water changes with my established aquarium, I've been putting the 'old water' into the patio pond & I also put in the used filter from the HOB

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Seems to be working because you have nitrites. Have you tested for nitrates yet? I wouldn't add any more shrimp, just let it work itself out. Add fresh dechlorinated water when needed, not old tank water, there is nothing useful in old tank water.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Seems to be working because you have nitrites. Have you tested for nitrates yet? I wouldn't add any more shrimp, just let it work itself out. Add fresh dechlorinated water when needed, not old tank water, there is nothing useful in old tank water.
    Ok, no nitrates appearing yet. I've checked. But it took a week or more for the nitrites.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok end of week 3. We had a cold rain that gets into my patio pond..so the temp is about 48 deg F. Alll my readings seem to be the same as last week. I still have nitrites, but no nitrates. Now it's hard to 'read' the color for ammonia. It's not a 1, but it's not defintely 8. Seems to be somewhere between 2 and 4.

Am I doing this right? Remember, this is eventually for my goldfish. I just need reassurance that I'm on the right track. Don't worry, even it was ready I wouldn't throw them into such cold water. Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say take two cups of tea and call back in another 2 weeks or so. It's working but at those temps it will take a bit longer.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Don't forget the biscuits to go along with that tea. At that temperature nitrifying bacteria growth rate slows down by about 75%.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so just let it go? or should I refortify the bacteria? Honestly guys, I'm not a dumb bunny...but last fall I cycled this with goldfish. I'd prefer not doing that again..if I can avoid it

0 Not allowed!
    It's not a matter of "refortifying" bacteria - you are trying to GROW bacteria (but you know this) - they grow more slowly in colder temps - that's why when someone is cycling a tank without fish, we advise them to make sure the temp is up (like 80-82) so the bacteria grow faster.

Your nitrIte eating bacteria will grow more slowly than the bacteria eating the ammonia, therefore, it might be a while before the nitrites fall and you see nitrAtes.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If your ammonia-oxidizing-bacteria are in high enough numbers, you can put the fish in there and start adding salt to prevent the nitrite from harming the fish until the nitrite-oxidizing-bacteria have time to become established. Studies show that as little as 8.5 mg/L table salt per 1.0 mg/L nitrite is enough to counteract the nitrite. That would be a mere 0.75 grams of salt for every 1 mg/L nitrite in your pond.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm no clue if they are high enough. It's warming up a bit this next week...maybe it'll help. No reason to chance it with chubby and the gang